“Exceptional”
Review of Marina Bay Hotel

Marina Bay Hotel
Ranked #13 of 29 Hotels in Sandown
Reviewed 21 August 2014

We have just got back home after our 5th stay at Marina bay hotel nothing is ever too much trouble bar prices are good food and service is excellent we will see you next year. It's a long journey for us but we'll worth the effort.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank butch1954uk

Reviewed 26 July 2014

Just returned from a weeks stay at the Marina Bay.Booked a single room, but actually got a Double room(no 35) although this may have been a bit of a tight squeeze for 2 lol.Immaculately clean,newly refurbished,powerful shower with inexhaustible supply of hot water(though very slightly slow draining).Comfortable bed although no, you are never going to get the same bed as you have at home, but more the adequate for a good night's sleep.For those who complain about the hall light.... Try switching it off it works wonders.Fortunately the weather was extremely kind,and, for the ceiling fan, I am eternally grateful, although I had brought a small fan with me,just in case, as I am told that some rooms do not have one.Note to self..... Check next year....room with fan required.
Breakfasts were excellent... In fact, all meals were well cooked and varied, something for everyone.... although if I were being REALLY picky I would probably question the boiled new potatoes at every meal lol.
Next to the staff..... Everyone with whom I had dealings throughout the week were friendly,courteous,and exceedingly helpful.Of course, in any establishment,whether it be hotel, shop etc. there will always be those who are more, or less outgoing than others, that is not to say that they are better, or worse....only different, as I hope, are we all....
Altogether, a wonderful holiday...nice people... Nice staff... Excellent value for money... What more could you wish for? I will definitely be back next year!!!!
Also my thanks to Paddy( Patrick on Sundays) for his company,his humour!!!!! And his informative little snippets throughout the week....Gee Vee is lucky to have him
And now the washing machine has finished so domesticity beckons
Regards
Ruth

Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
5  Thank Ruth D
Reviewed 16 July 2014

Having stayed here for a week, I found this family run hotel very welcoming and great value for money, a lovely position across from the beach. Friendly and helpful staff, all public areas very spacious and light.

• Stayed: June 2014
3  Thank Jamesmohamed
Reviewed 16 July 2014

We had a fantastic weeks holiday here last week. It's our third at this hotel and as usual we were not disappointed. the hotel is immaculately clean something which we are particularly fussy about. Food is excellent quality and plenty of it, great menu choice too. All the staff including the owners themselves are a pleasure to know and deal with. they are warm friendly and can't do enough for you. We will definitely be back next year if not before.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Angela M
Marina Bay H, Owner at Marina Bay Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 August 2014

Thanks for writing such a lovely review. Just to mention to the readers that this family were on the same coach as the people that made the last few negative comments. It just goes to show that we do try our best to to ensure an enjoyable stay for everyone.
Thanks for your comments and we are glad you enjoyed your stay with us for the 3rd time and we hope to see you again next year or sooner.

Regards

Reviewed 15 July 2014 via mobile

My friends and i had a special offer deal over half term.we enjoyed our stay.the weather wasnt as great as we thought but being just across the road from our hotel from the beach was very convenient.the staff were very friendly and helpful.my friends daughter enjoyed the singers which were varied most evenings.breakfast was great and included.we would come again to marina bay hotel.

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank janusLondonSw
Reviewed 15 July 2014

We decided on a long weekend break & Groupon had a deal with this hotel. 3 nights B & B for £135.00.
The staff were very pleasant and helpful. The breakfast was lovely, all good produce.
The room was bright & clean - see front view which was lovely in the morning.
My only criticism would be the beds. Unfortunately neither of us slept very well. But that maybe because we have a memory foam mattress at home & these were sprung.
But overall a very pleasant stay.

Room Tip: Sea front room was bright and airy
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jo B
Reviewed 13 July 2014

I have just come home after a week in this awful hotel. I booked this through a coach company as it sounded okay? How wrong can you be!
On our arrival we were given keys and pointed the way to our rooms, to be honest ours was not to bad after hearing comments from other travelers on what appear to be health and safety issues (room with no window?) . However we were on the third floor and the farthest room from reception. I honestly do not know how we would/could have got help if taken ill. Their was no phone or bell, nothing to alert anyone. The fire escape was located across from us and we found rubbish piled around the outside of the door, blocking any rout out.
Meal times were a disaster as orders were either wrong or mixed up, food was 90% frozen. All meals were bog standard basic any idiot could cook. Their was never enough and God forbid if you asked for anything extra. It was like a scene from Oliver Twist.
I particularly noticed our milk jug that had a yellow coated inside as it had all week, dried on milk
YUK. No water on the tables, no glasses for water, no sauces no sweeteners only white sugar!
The place was clean but tatty, owners were non communicative in fact the older man seemed to spend the whole day playing with his phone. Seating in public areas was basic and uncomfortable, nowhere to lounge and go to sleep. My bed was painfully uncomfortable needing the extra pillow under my hips to ease the pain. If it is comfort, friendliness and good food you want go next door Sand Hotel is beautiful and the same price.

Room Tip: For comfort.Go next door SANDS HOTEL
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
5  Thank BMA53

Firstly the coach company you booked have been using us for the last 10 years and have never had one complaint re us and our standards. Other travellers mentioned on windows in rooms, this is complete rubbish all our rooms have a window. But glad to hear you found our newly refurbished room and bathroom 'not bad'.
I would like to point out this was a 2 star hotel you booked. In fact last week someone staying the the exactly same room as you wasn't feeling well and guess what they did receive medical attention by the use of a mobile phone. An ambulance stretchers the person down from the 'third floor, farthest from reception' and got them to hospital in one piece.
Already addressed the same comments as your friends review below regarding the fire escape. Funny as the picture you posted also shows the fire escape door can be opened. The bricks were simply there for about 20 minutes before the builders removed them.
Meal times were a disaster - very laughable comment. I would like to inform all tripadvisor readers that, I, personally served this table of four their entire meal each evening and breakfast each day throughout their stay. And not once did they mention their food was awful. In fact it's laughable because after each course the plates practically licked clean. I asked you after each course was everything ok and you all always replied with yes thanks. I find it hard to believe you didn't enjoy your food as I said not one day did you all leave food on your plates- that's because it's all homemade and not frozen and cooked to order hence we take orders in the morning so we can buy in fresh meat and other ingredients. Again we have a side table in the dining room with Icy water and glasses laid out for anyone that wishes to help them self- other customers did do so. However I still used to ask you at each meal time would you like some water and bring it over to your table.
If you wanted sauces these were provided, same as sweeteners or brown sugar- but not once did you request anything additional. We can't read minds and know your sugar preference. If you don't ask you don't get. Tatty? Our reception area and lounge is bright airy with great views of the sea, it's not floral or dated, with 1960s carpet like some of the other hotels on hone same road as us.
Which hotel lounge have you been to that you would have a bed in that you could sleep, your bedroom is for sleeping. Non communicative owners, again very unlikely as you should read the other comments. From what I have commented on above its clear to see that you were the ones not communicating your issues to us. The older man in fact is the owners of the hotel, and is keeping up to date with business affairs on modern technology. Nobody commented on your reading your kindle while our entertainer was on, it's now a modern world with people using technology all day everywhere.
To cut the story short you as your friends had a huge problem with our ethnic background the second you checked in. I feel it's awful in this day and age that people in this multi cultured country still have views like yours. Perhaps you should re visit without such a biased view on the colour of ones skin.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sandown
The Wight
#6 of 29 in Sandown
The Royal Hotel
The Royal Hotel
#1 of 9 in Ventnor

Been to Marina Bay Hotel? Share your experiences!