The Burlington Hotel
  • Restaurant
  • Restaurant
Cygnet Hotel(Sandown)
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsnational holidaysevening mealisle of wightquiet loungesmall indoor pooldouble and single bedcoach groupopen the windowsea frontplenty of storageplenty of choicerestaurant staffdining roomenjoyed my staybit datedour waiterpool table
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 19 October 2013

I cannot compare The Burlington to other hotels, as this is the first hotel I have stayed in, I am merely commenting on my own experience.

The staff were wonderful, the food was excellent for the most part with good variety, although mealtimes seemed a bit rushed, the waiting staff were very quick, pleasant and worked hard. (Thank you Lynn)

I do have mobility issues, but not a wheelchair user, I did not specify in the booking, so not the hotels fault, but I was put in an upstairs room and there is no lift. (Maybe an idea to put that in the brochure) Even going up/down stairs once a day is enough to cause me problems.

My room was OK, very clean but a bit dated, nowhere comfortable to sit except the bed (Not good for Arthritis sufferers.)

I had to stay in some days due to my not being able to move well, and I’m afraid it was very boring! Daytime programmes on a very small TV, no DVD player (take your own!) wireless in reception only, so no Internet surfing unless I hobbled down the stairs. Only 2 sockets, 1 for the TV and 1 for the (very small, old, slow and noisy) kettle, so take an extension lead if, like me you need more than 1 socket at once) My room was at the front and was very noisy if you had the window open, so ask at reception for, (or take your own) fan if you like fresh air.

My first hotel and my first review, I hope it helps and that there will be more to come.

Room Tip: room at the front.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
4  Thank RICEYtm
Reviewed 19 October 2013

My mother and I stayed at this hotel last week end as part of a coach party.I had already read the reviews so didn't expect much.First impressions were not good,our room was cold and when I went to reception was told bluntly that the radiator was turned off.The following day after a cold day out no heating until 5.30.I think if someone is booked into a room the heating should be put on.Tho bathroom very small it was very clean.First night's sleep was uncomfortable as beds so hard it was like sleeping on the floor!I resorted to taking 2 cushions out of the lounge every night after that just to get to sleep.The lounge very comfortable but also cold.
Used the pool which was small but ok for exercises and short swim.Found ladder very difficult to access pool and the steps although easier had no hand rail.The jacuzzi is £1 for 15-20 mins and the steam room wasn't on one day,think that is request only for it to go on.Food great and Clyde excellent waiter working hard to please everyone.Apparently the chef worked on Qe2 so did well with the budget he must have to provide for coach parties.As mentioned in another review didn't like the tables of items for sale one evening.Most of it you can get in chemist or Avon.Not many people looking.Entertainment one night was so loud we couldn't stay in the bar,instead heard it from our room! For a 2* hotel this is above average as others I have stayed in have been far worse.The plus side is the food and the friendliness of most of the staff,the downside is heating problems and the very hard beds not suitable for arthritic people.

Room Tip: No lift and some small steps down to one set of rooms.Front rooms can be noisy as on a busy road.Quiet lounge very comfortable.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank 74Veronica
Reviewed 18 October 2013

We were booked into a nearby hotel which was a bit scruffy to say the least. But, we were transferred to the Burlington and glad to say, we were treated so very well. The rooms were spacious, although the heating did seem a bit tame. Everything was clean and very good. The restaurant was excellent, our waiter, Clyde, went the extra mile..well done you!! We cannot fault it, and hope to return again soon for another short break.

Room Tip: Ask for a twin rrom....its a bigger room!!
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Bryan W
Ellen W, General Manager at The Burlington Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 October 2013

Thank you so much for your kind review and we were pleased to have been able to help the other hotel solve their over booking problem. I have passed on your comments to Clyde
and hopefully we will see you again

Reviewed 16 October 2013

I have a list of disappointing things; no shampoo supplied, inadequate shower, hard mattress, bed to short (I am 6" 2"), sound insulation poor, kettle worn out (intermittent operation due to worn contacts on base, no heat from radiator on Saturday afternoon, soup not edible, I had to send one of my deserts back because it tasted gross, toast like leather, my wife's wholemeal toast was always burnt, our table companions chicken leg was not cooked through (the replacement was also not well cooked and therefore left on the plate), squirty cream over ice cream! who thought of that? If you are going to serve cream make it real cream - not out of a can, hotel reception was filled with a load of tat on our last night - a market trade was allowed to cover some trestles with plastic junk etc. for us to buy - why? When I book into a hotel It should not look like a car boot sale.

Not all bad; rooms clean but tired, staff polite, some meals reasonable (poached eggs nicely cooked).

Dave A. 16 10 2013

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

I am sorry you were disappointed with the hotel and had you come reception and reported
them most of them could have been rectified. When I get a rooming list from the coach company
it only gives me a name not personal details like height. The beds here are standard size so
maybe you need a hotel with King size beds. This is a 2 star hotel which we feel gives very good value for money and we usually get very positive feedback about our food so again a lot of this is
personal choice and obviously we are not the kind of hotel you are used to.

Reviewed 12 October 2013

We stayed here for the first week of Sept. 2013, booked through G.B Holidays. Does not deserve 2 star rating, apparently because rooms do not have phones.Found rooms very clean, comfortable. Room at the front, ground floor as requested, no problems. Shower was good. Staff pleasant and helpful. Food was good. Yes, hotel could do with an update but income from coach companys does not allow much profit for hotels to enable vast investment! Cannot understand why so many complaints and negative comments on trip advisor, can only assume professional complainants at work! We heard some of these from visitors on our coach tour, in fact one couple complained about the food and service at every meal, can only think complaining kept them happy! we enjoyed our stay and would happily return. If you want 5 star service pay 5 star prices!

Room Tip: Cannot comment on rooms we didn,t see. We were happy with our own room.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Ellen W, General Manager at The Burlington Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 October 2013

Your very positive review is most welcome. We will in the near future be starting a refurbishment programme and as you seem to appreciate this does take time and money. In the meantime the
bedroom staff work hard at keeping the rooms clean to a high standard as do members of our kitchen staff work hard to produce a varied and appetising menu .Complaints about the food are very rare and as you say some people just like to complain.I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back again to the Burlington