“comfortable Hotel”

The Burlington Hotel
Ranked #7 of 29 Hotels in Sandown
Reviewed 18 November 2013

We stayed at the Burlington for four days on the 4th November-8th November. We found the hotel warm and freindly and very comfortable, good food and spacious room. We will definitely be going back next year.

Room Tip: We have had a front room and was very pleased with it.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
5  Thank Jenny M

Reviewed 8 November 2013

A pleasant hotel, clean throughout, food good and waiting staff speedy and efficient, perhaps the rooms could be a bit more up to date but all in all the stay was favourable. Entertainment most evenings was fair, some of the older generation enjoyed the daily bingo.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Ken M
Reviewed 2 November 2013

I stayed here with my friends for four nights last week. The hotel is a little dated but I couldn't fault anything at all. The room was very clean and bed comfortable. Nothing was too much trouble when I had a couple of problems. My window would not open and that was immediately sorted. Also I found it very warm as my room was next to the swimming pool so the reception staff gave me a fan.
The food at breakfast and evening meal was very good every day. Always hot, good selection and plenty of it. Would like to thank Sally, Sam and Martin who did such a great job of taking our orders and bringing our meals. Always had a cheerful smile and very good attitude.
We went to the entertainment every night and couldn't say a bad thing about any of the entertainers. Would stay again if I was in Sandown.

Room Tip: My friends stayed in the front of the hotel on the ground floor and the only complaint was when thei...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Carol J
Reviewed 21 October 2013

Excellent Staff in this rather Olde Worlde Hotel
(some refurbishment required in the bedroom we occupied and also in the public areas.) However the Lounge has lovely proportions and it was a pleasure to sit therein. There was also Entertainment each night in the Bar area.

We enjoyed our meals, the breakfast Menu was standard each day but the Dinner one was varied. Very pleasant, cheerful and informative Staff who served with great speed and agility within a somewhat restricted dining area and time.
( Perhaps the Burlington would consider extending it's mealtimes by at least 15mins, we were quite rushed each evening and 6.00p.m. is very early for Dinner.)

Although not on the sea front the Burlington is well positioned 2 mins walk from the Promenade, close to all amenities and the main shopping street in Sandown, Isle of Wight, where there are several rather nice Shops.
There is also a Sports Bar and General Newsagent with Cash Machine just accross the road, which is highly convenient.

We thought we were well positioned for criss crossing the Island to view all the attractions and would recommend the chair lift at the Needles (Alum Bay) and the Ice Cream, although the rest of the development there was a bit disappointing. Yarmouth is most attractive and less "tourist".
Osborne House is well worth a visit and if you can, walk down to the bay. Godshill is very pretty and the "Lily" Church we thought, delightful. The Sun was out so we enjoyed our wine in the back garden of the Griffin, a nice Pub, just over the road from the Carpark. The Coastal Drive from Sandown is quite lovely, we made our way to visit the Ventnor Botanical Gardens (best Raisin Scone & Butter ever), Wight Pearls (prepare to spend), Rosemary Vineyard and the Steam Train. In fact we really had a most enjoyable sojourn on the Isle of Wight !

Room Tip: Perhaps rooms to the front would be larger and with better outlook.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 October 2013

I cannot compare The Burlington to other hotels, as this is the first hotel I have stayed in, I am merely commenting on my own experience.

The staff were wonderful, the food was excellent for the most part with good variety, although mealtimes seemed a bit rushed, the waiting staff were very quick, pleasant and worked hard. (Thank you Lynn)

I do have mobility issues, but not a wheelchair user, I did not specify in the booking, so not the hotels fault, but I was put in an upstairs room and there is no lift. (Maybe an idea to put that in the brochure) Even going up/down stairs once a day is enough to cause me problems.

My room was OK, very clean but a bit dated, nowhere comfortable to sit except the bed (Not good for Arthritis sufferers.)

I had to stay in some days due to my not being able to move well, and I’m afraid it was very boring! Daytime programmes on a very small TV, no DVD player (take your own!) wireless in reception only, so no Internet surfing unless I hobbled down the stairs. Only 2 sockets, 1 for the TV and 1 for the (very small, old, slow and noisy) kettle, so take an extension lead if, like me you need more than 1 socket at once) My room was at the front and was very noisy if you had the window open, so ask at reception for, (or take your own) fan if you like fresh air.

My first hotel and my first review, I hope it helps and that there will be more to come.

Room Tip: room at the front.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
4  Thank RICEYtm
Reviewed 19 October 2013

My mother and I stayed at this hotel last week end as part of a coach party.I had already read the reviews so didn't expect much.First impressions were not good,our room was cold and when I went to reception was told bluntly that the radiator was turned off.The following day after a cold day out no heating until 5.30.I think if someone is booked into a room the heating should be put on.Tho bathroom very small it was very clean.First night's sleep was uncomfortable as beds so hard it was like sleeping on the floor!I resorted to taking 2 cushions out of the lounge every night after that just to get to sleep.The lounge very comfortable but also cold.
Used the pool which was small but ok for exercises and short swim.Found ladder very difficult to access pool and the steps although easier had no hand rail.The jacuzzi is £1 for 15-20 mins and the steam room wasn't on one day,think that is request only for it to go on.Food great and Clyde excellent waiter working hard to please everyone.Apparently the chef worked on Qe2 so did well with the budget he must have to provide for coach parties.As mentioned in another review didn't like the tables of items for sale one evening.Most of it you can get in chemist or Avon.Not many people looking.Entertainment one night was so loud we couldn't stay in the bar,instead heard it from our room! For a 2* hotel this is above average as others I have stayed in have been far worse.The plus side is the food and the friendliness of most of the staff,the downside is heating problems and the very hard beds not suitable for arthritic people.

Room Tip: No lift and some small steps down to one set of rooms.Front rooms can be noisy as on a busy road.Qui...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank 74Veronica
Reviewed 18 October 2013

We were booked into a nearby hotel which was a bit scruffy to say the least. But, we were transferred to the Burlington and glad to say, we were treated so very well. The rooms were spacious, although the heating did seem a bit tame. Everything was clean and very good. The restaurant was excellent, our waiter, Clyde, went the extra mile..well done you!! We cannot fault it, and hope to return again soon for another short break.

Room Tip: Ask for a twin rrom....its a bigger room!!
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Bryan W
Ellen W, General Manager at The Burlington Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 October 2013

Thank you so much for your kind review and we were pleased to have been able to help the other hotel solve their over booking problem. I have passed on your comments to Clyde
and hopefully we will see you again

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sandown
The Wight
0 mi away
Sandown Hotel
Sandown Hotel
#22 of 29 in Sandown

Been to The Burlington Hotel? Share your experiences!