“Christmas 2013”

Ranked #10 of 31 Hotels in Sandown
Watford, United Kingdom
“Christmas 2013”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 December 2013

What a fantastic time we have had, excellent hosts, excellent food and service, excellent entertainment and what a welcome our border collie, Luiz, received. Everyone including the staff made a fuss of him and he even joined in with the carol singing!! We couldn't have wished for a better Christmas and even managed some sunshine too.

Room Tip: The room at the front was a bit noisy opposite the pub but other rooms are well away from main road.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank hilary c

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
  • Polish first
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2013

I stayed there for 5 days with a coach group and experienced great service, great food, a very friendly environment with good parking.

its a shame that there aren't more hotels of this calibre in the UK

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
6 Thank Diggerssenior
Essex, Vermont
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2013

We stayed at the Burlington for four days on the 4th November-8th November. We found the hotel warm and freindly and very comfortable, good food and spacious room. We will definitely be going back next year.

Room Tip: We have had a front room and was very pleased with it.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
5 Thank Jenny M
Barry, Wales
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 November 2013

A pleasant hotel, clean throughout, food good and waiting staff speedy and efficient, perhaps the rooms could be a bit more up to date but all in all the stay was favourable. Entertainment most evenings was fair, some of the older generation enjoyed the daily bingo.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Ken M
Worthing, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2013

I stayed here with my friends for four nights last week. The hotel is a little dated but I couldn't fault anything at all. The room was very clean and bed comfortable. Nothing was too much trouble when I had a couple of problems. My window would not open and that was immediately sorted. Also I found it very warm as my room was next to the swimming pool so the reception staff gave me a fan.
The food at breakfast and evening meal was very good every day. Always hot, good selection and plenty of it. Would like to thank Sally, Sam and Martin who did such a great job of taking our orders and bringing our meals. Always had a cheerful smile and very good attitude.
We went to the entertainment every night and couldn't say a bad thing about any of the entertainers. Would stay again if I was in Sandown.

Room Tip: My friends stayed in the front of the hotel on the ground floor and the only complaint was when thei...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Carol J
Gloucester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2013

Excellent Staff in this rather Olde Worlde Hotel
(some refurbishment required in the bedroom we occupied and also in the public areas.) However the Lounge has lovely proportions and it was a pleasure to sit therein. There was also Entertainment each night in the Bar area.

We enjoyed our meals, the breakfast Menu was standard each day but the Dinner one was varied. Very pleasant, cheerful and informative Staff who served with great speed and agility within a somewhat restricted dining area and time.
( Perhaps the Burlington would consider extending it's mealtimes by at least 15mins, we were quite rushed each evening and 6.00p.m. is very early for Dinner.)

Although not on the sea front the Burlington is well positioned 2 mins walk from the Promenade, close to all amenities and the main shopping street in Sandown, Isle of Wight, where there are several rather nice Shops.
There is also a Sports Bar and General Newsagent with Cash Machine just accross the road, which is highly convenient.

We thought we were well positioned for criss crossing the Island to view all the attractions and would recommend the chair lift at the Needles (Alum Bay) and the Ice Cream, although the rest of the development there was a bit disappointing. Yarmouth is most attractive and less "tourist".
Osborne House is well worth a visit and if you can, walk down to the bay. Godshill is very pretty and the "Lily" Church we thought, delightful. The Sun was out so we enjoyed our wine in the back garden of the Griffin, a nice Pub, just over the road from the Carpark. The Coastal Drive from Sandown is quite lovely, we made our way to visit the Ventnor Botanical Gardens (best Raisin Scone & Butter ever), Wight Pearls (prepare to spend), Rosemary Vineyard and the Steam Train. In fact we really had a most enjoyable sojourn on the Isle of Wight !

Room Tip: Perhaps rooms to the front would be larger and with better outlook.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Chester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2013

I cannot compare The Burlington to other hotels, as this is the first hotel I have stayed in, I am merely commenting on my own experience.

The staff were wonderful, the food was excellent for the most part with good variety, although mealtimes seemed a bit rushed, the waiting staff were very quick, pleasant and worked hard. (Thank you Lynn)

I do have mobility issues, but not a wheelchair user, I did not specify in the booking, so not the hotels fault, but I was put in an upstairs room and there is no lift. (Maybe an idea to put that in the brochure) Even going up/down stairs once a day is enough to cause me problems.

My room was OK, very clean but a bit dated, nowhere comfortable to sit except the bed (Not good for Arthritis sufferers.)

I had to stay in some days due to my not being able to move well, and I’m afraid it was very boring! Daytime programmes on a very small TV, no DVD player (take your own!) wireless in reception only, so no Internet surfing unless I hobbled down the stairs. Only 2 sockets, 1 for the TV and 1 for the (very small, old, slow and noisy) kettle, so take an extension lead if, like me you need more than 1 socket at once) My room was at the front and was very noisy if you had the window open, so ask at reception for, (or take your own) fan if you like fresh air.

My first hotel and my first review, I hope it helps and that there will be more to come.

Room Tip: room at the front.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
4 Thank RICEYtm
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sandown
Shanklin Beach Hotel
#1 of 31 in Sandown
Sandringham Hotel
Sandringham Hotel
#7 of 31 in Sandown

Been to The Burlington Hotel? Share your experiences!