“Not a great stay” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Kingussie
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Not a great stay”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2013

Arrived at hotel, looks dated inside but the staff are very friendly and helpfully, the food was great and large portions.
The rooms are small, if you stay ask not to be on the front of the hotel, the street lights keep your rooms bright after dark and there is some noise from the street, you will also hear the traffic passing through!
The night we stayed there was a band on down stairs and our room was directly above it, we was not told of this so we had very little sleep! Ruined our next day out.
I complained and was told not to be aggressive! There is a big difference between a tired disappointed customer and some one who is aggressive.
We didn't stay another night at the hotel due to this.
In there defence the manager was good enough to not charge us for the night. Thank you for that.

Room Tip: If you stay here ask to sleep at the back of the hotel.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Star M, General Manager at The Star Hotel, responded to this review, 15 April 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. Most people who come to stay at the Star come to hear the bands which are well advertised - I was very surprised when you came and complained as you too seemed to be enjoying the band. I hope the next hotel you stayed at left you with a better sleep.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Stirling, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2013

Went up for new year had a great time nothing anyone could complain about from MHAIRI to all the rest of the staff nothings a bother food great, and entertainment great, hospitality second to none.
Back at the weekend again and hotel clean don't no what some people get to complain about there is nothing wrong with the hotel give the new management time, as the old saying goes you crawl before you walk. nothings a bother to any of the staff
George Malcom entertained on Friday and Saturday and was great hope to hear him again
The STAR great value also bar prices great. Will be back in August or may be before
Thanks again MHAIRI and staff

Room Tip: We like 12a our friends like 6 have been in different rooms and they were all good as we have been g...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mary h
Star M, General Manager at The Star Hotel, responded to this review, 12 April 2013
Its always our pleasure having you stay with us Mary. Thanks for taking the time to write a review. We look forward to your next visit.

Mhairi & Clan
Stornoway, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2013

The Star Hotel gave me a very warm and friendly welcome after my car broke down on the A9 late on an icy winter's evening. The staff were extremely helpful and the Manager, Mhairi, went out of her way to ensure that my stay was an antidote to the trauma of my disrupted journey. Their very reasonable rates offer great value for money and the service is excellent. I happily recommend The Star and look forward to my next visit.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank 64MalcolmM
Thank you very much for taking the time to review. It was our pleasure to help and I hope all your car problems are resolved.

Newcastle upon Tyne
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2013

We have been to the Star Hotel about 4 times now - this was the first time we have stayed since the New Management took over.

Mhairi the manager does a great job and works very hard - putting in loads of hours. She is really trying hard to make the Star Hotel a great place to stay.

The staff are fantastic and very friendly - really make you feel at home.

Rooms - Beds are very comfortable and rooms are clean.
Food - Breakfast: Large choice including cereals, porridge, continental and cooked options. The Scottish Breakfast went down very well with everyone and I personally loved the French Toast :-)
Bar Meal: We had lunch in the hotel a couple of times and the food was fresh and very tasty. Was a very good choice on the menu.
Evening Meal: We always stay DBB and we are so pleased we did the same this time - the food was TOP CLASS. Also had a choice of at least 3 starters/main/pudding. The soups were homemade and so tasty, the melon and champagne sorbet I had one night was mouth watering. Mains included Shepherds Pie, Chicken curry, Steak pie just to name a few. The puddings were also lovely including - Bread and butter pudding, cheeseboard, apple pie etc.

Entertainment: On the Saturday we were treated to a fantastic night - Emerald, a fantastic band that really had you singing and toe tapping along. Sunday afternoon there was another act playing and then on the Monday night we had a game of bingo :-) I even won!!

Yes the Star has changed and is continuing to look to the future - but I have to say a BIG well done to Mhairi, keep up the good work!! Looking forward to visit the Star again in the future.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Wendzd
Thank you very much for your lovely review. I'm pleased that you are still enjoying The Star and that was haven't let any standards slip. I have passed on your comments to the rest of the team who were delighted that we are getting such lovely feedback.

Hope to see you all again soon!

Glenrothes, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2013

My partner and I went for a weekend break and found the hotel staff to be very friendly, the food excellent and the band on Saturday night top notch. For what you pay I would definitely give this hotel a 5 out of 5 as you can't beat it for VFM. We will definitely be back again.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank PedroM73
I'm so pleased you enjoyed your visit to us. Thank you for taking the time to leave a review.
We look forward to your return visit.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2013

I've stayed in The Star Hotel for a number of days now. Upon arrival I was greated by the manager, Mhairi who instantly put me at ease. Not having travelled to this part of Scotland before I was a little uneasy. I didnt need to worry at all. The bubbly host and the friendly staff immediatly made me feel welcome.
The food is 1st class (Especially the Chicken broth!!)

The entertainment at the weekend was excellent and really added to the atmosphere.
I've already booked in again for the next few months and god willing im planning being here for New Year which I'm assured is definatly one for the books!

Kingussie itself is a beautiful place and staying the Star which pulls in locals too has really opened my eyes to Scotland!!

I'd recommend The Star in a heart beat and will return again and again.... as long as Mhairi will have me :)

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank lucy p
Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review. Its always great to hear such positive feedback. I'll let all the team know and we hope to see you again soon.
Stirling, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2013

I am currently working in the area and was looking for a place to stay that offered me the same kind of comforts as at home. Me and a few work collegues found the star hotel and were welcomed as we first walked threw the door by a lady called mhairi.We explained our circumstances and she was very happy to oaccomadate us. The hotel staff are very friendly and very happy to help in whatever way they can to make your stay as welcoming as possible. Food that is served is of very high standard and very reasonable price too. Overall this is a place i would come to stay again over and over again.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank thomasga28
Thanks for the lovely review Thomas, we are happy to have you all staying with us. Looking forward to you coming back on Monday!!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kingussie
The Scot House Hotel and Restaurant
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,207 reviews
The Glen Hotel
The Glen Hotel
#2 of 4 in Newtonmore

Been to The Star Hotel? Share your experiences!