“Cheap and chearfull”
Review of The Star Hotel

The Star Hotel
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Kingussie
Reviewed 1 November 2013

Read other reviews but the wife and I decided to go for weekend anyway. As others have said rooms need some TLC but the staff make up for it Paul behind the bar and andrea in dinning room both couldn't do enough for us . Food was good the band on friday were great u get what u pay for will be back .

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank dansmit

Reviewed 13 October 2013

arrived at this 3star hotel and it just went downhill.room21 was just filthy.mould all round the bath. wc pan jammed against the bath. paper hanging off the wall.Dust on the windowsill could have planted flowers in it. only saviour was the waitress really nice lassie and the food was good+.stay here again? no chance.

Room Tip: don't go
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank Frank B
Reviewed 1 October 2013

Having read the reviews we were a bit apprehensive about our 3 night Groupon stay. That very quickly changed, great food, great band and an expert barman on Friday night in the busy lounge made for an excellent night. Although maybe not the best band on Saturday night, the atmosphere in the lounge and the brilliant staff again ensured we had great night. With no entertainment on Sunday, the lounge was much quieter which meant we spent time chatting with other residents, locals and the staff, great chat and banter with a little singing thrown in too!! Ok, so the rooms are retro but clean and comfy beds were all we were looking for so no problems with the rooms. We ate regularly at the hotel (outwith Groupon breakfast included promotion)with absolutely no complaints from any of the 4 of us (we sent 3 out of 4 meals back in another local establishment on Saturday night). We all really enjoyed our time at this great wee hotel with excellent friendly staff, will definitely return.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Maaree41
Reviewed 25 September 2013

My husband and I had a meal at this hotel on Monday 23rd September 2013 we had hoped to have a nice relaxing and tasty meal. My husband ordered the lasange and I had the steak pie. When the food arrived I was pleased to have it served on nice hot plates however all went downhill rapidly. As I was eating my meal I discovered that it was extemely salty then my husband said he could not eat anymore as it was very salt. So neither of us finished our meal. My husband told the waitress when he paid the bill. We did not want to argue as we are both a little disabled and the last thing you want on holiday is any stress . Also when I went to the ladies I was confronted with 2 flights of stairs which is not what you need when you find it difficult to walk. I would not reccommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank brenda520
Reviewed 23 September 2013

We would like to thanks the staff once again for a fanstastic week, we know its not the Ritz but fantastic value for money, yes rooms could do with a little refurbishment but allin all a great week. food and choice very good, good honest food. weve been vistiting this hotel for many years and i have just booked for September next year. Totally recommend this hotel great value for money.

Tony Miller, Bt golf society.

Room Tip: This is a great hotel, if you want value for money, dont expect the Ritz, just a good hotel with gre...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank tony m
Reviewed 17 September 2013

The bad reviews taint the qualities of this hotel. The Staff are friendly, helpful and will cater to all your needs. I stayed recently with my wife and children. The staff accomadated my fussy children and we all had a brilliant time!! The band on the fri was excellent and the lounge is really inviting. the locals are friendly too which was fab as the children made friends.
Although the hotel is dated, you get what you pay for. The food was excellent and great sized portions. we will definately be returning!!!

People can be fussy but this is a great wee place with loads of charm. The staff make it The Star, not the building.

Room Tip: Room 23 is perfect for families.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Chris B
Reviewed 15 September 2013

I booked a two night stay Groupon deal at this hotel to coincide with my wedding anniversary. The hotel is in an area of the country which I know well and have visited many times. Our experience this time was completely marred by the shabbiness of the hotel overall and the mould on the walls of what was allegedly an en-suite bathroom (actually a cupboard housing a bath and a toilet!)
The mould growing along the edge of the bath not only looked disgusting but smelled offensive. In addition there was no shower so attending to one's ablutions involved some ingenuity.
One night was enough, the room overall was disgusting and the staff appeared completely oblivious. On checking out the receptionist tried to appear surprised that the room was in such a sorry state, I was unconvinced.
Will definitely return to Kingussie -a great place to visit but will steer well clear of this place the only star it has is in its name, it warrants no others.

Room Tip: Chose a different hotel!
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Paul L
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kingussie
Columba House Hotel
#3 of 3 in Newtonmore
Arden House
Arden House
#1 of 22 in Kingussie

Been to The Star Hotel? Share your experiences!