“Wonderfull”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ilfracombe
The Hampton's Hotel
Ranked #35 of 53 Ilfracombe B&B and Inns
Reviewed 22 October 2011

My friend and I stayed here for one night in October 2011. Once we had braved the steep incline to the Hotel we were faced with a most remarkable view over Ilfracombe valley towards the sea. We were warmly welcomed by Paul (owner) who showed us around the beautiful guest lounge which had inviting sofas, comfortable arm chairs and stunning decor. We were shown to our room which was a relatively well proportioned shower en suite. What the room lacked in space was made up for in well chosen furniture complimenting the feel and ambiance of the room. One nice touch was the pantry on top floor where you could help yourself to fresh milk, utensils and plates. Breakfast in the morning was stupendous! great selection of buffet foods, beautiful fresh fruit salad and perfectly poached eggs.
This hotel is wonderfully run, organised and maintained. We truly enjoyed our stay and recommend it to all. Many thanks to Paul and Janine, you have a beautiful home and fantastic business.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
There are newer reviews for The Hampton's Hotel

Reviewed 13 September 2011

We stayed here last weekend as part of our friends Silver Wedding Celebrations. The 'do' was on the Saturday night, but we had one night by ourselves before hand. So we were able to see how Paul and Janine run the place as a regular hotel and also how they fared when the whole hotel was booked for the celebratory night. In both instances they were fantastic hosts.
They make you feel very welcome, but know when to leave you in peace. The Friday stay was very relaxing, the room (Rococo) was lovely, decorated in calming colours and very comfortable. They know the area well and are able to give very current advice on places to visit and eat.
The night of the Silver Wedding was more energetic, with a hotel full of couples ready to party and celebrate. A lot of effort had gone into getting the lounge area looking lovely and the outside caterers (recommended by the hotel) were superb. The whole evening and the morning after felt very special.
The only minor issue was that on the Saturday night we had booked the more expensive 'Osborne Suite' on the top floor. At approx £40 more than the Rococo room, we didn't feel that this suite warranted the extra cash. I can see that it would be good value for a family who
might make use of the extra sofa bed in the lounge area, but as a couple I would save my money next time and go for one of the less expensive rooms, all of which seemed really nice.

Room Tip: Unless you particularly need the extra space, save money by not opting for a suite.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 August 2011

The room: We stayed in Kashmir, which is on the first floor.

Pros: Good service, amazing breakfasts (yes amazing) and attractive decor. The shared fridge, freezer and microwave on the floor above were useful, and many guests would appreciate the use of the honesty bar downstairs (although this was rather limited).

Cons: The room was a little small for the price (£100 per night), we had some issues with hot water, and the quality of the instant coffee in the bedroom was not ideal (I like my early morning cup of coffee before breakfast).

Overall, we enjoyed our stay, and would recommend.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank loxfoxy
Reviewed 18 July 2011

The Hamptons is a great place to stay. All the bedrooms and public rooms are furnished to a very high quality and the interior design flair of the owners Janine and Paul shows all the way through. We stayed there as my daughter was getting married at the Tunnels Beaches. Janine and Paul were very kind and understanding with the last minute panics of any wedding arrangements. My family had taken over all the rooms for the weekend and we were all thoroughly delighted with the rooms and the service. We all hope to go back again.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank TwoHoots1979
Reviewed 7 July 2011

stayed for 5 nights on a first trip to the lovely north devon coast, we were made to feel very welcome by the owners, treated to lovely breakfasts with plenty of choice and stayed in a lovely modern styled room without it being too much. would stay again without hesitation, keep up the good work!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank mrtripper40
Reviewed 5 July 2011

I got married in Ilfracombe in May and my husband and I stayed in this hotel for our wedding night. The hotel was absolutely gorgeous and the room we stayed in was beautifully decorated, clean and had all the ameneties we were looking for. The breakfast was wonderful and the service was really quick. We couldn't have picked a better hotel for our first night as a married couple. I can't recommend this highly enough.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank RvaSmith
Reviewed 22 June 2011

We had booked Roccoco room for 2 nights in June. From the website we had already seen the room layout, so we knew it was one of the smaller rooms of this hotel. It was a good size actually, and contained a very comfortable, king-sized bed with different cushions, we liked that very much and slept very well. The en-suite was rather small and contained shower, washbasin and toilet, but was absolutely adequate, and everything was really clean. I am always worried about showers when I am in England - they tend to be often cold when somebody else uses water in the house, or the water pressure is so low you can't really call it pressure anyway, but the shower here was actually a really really good power shower and constantly hot. Also loved the toiletries, very nice.

There were also tea/coffee-making facilities with two delicious biscuits as a welcome, we liked those very much. The view was onto the backyard - but there were lovely plants, so not too bad at all, and we had known that before. On the downside, they had plugged in some kind of electric room fragrance diffusers (sorry, don't know the correct english term) everywhere - in the rooms, in the hallway - surely it was meant as a nice touch but it was just way too much and overbearing. We plugged out the one in our room and opened the window, so it was fine after that.

The lounge and breakfast room was really nice and very large, I prefered to sit there and watch TV or read rather than in our room, it had two sofas and a really comfortable easy chair, a nicer view and also a better TV (the one in our room had a rather poor reception and took ages every time you switched a channel - I understand this is often the case with digital TV, but it is a bit annoying when you want to quickly go through the channels...).

Also the honesty bar is a nice touch, and we liked that we could use the breakfast tables for boardgames (it was raining most of the time so we stayed in...). There is even a cloakroom downstairs so when you sit in the lounge you don't have to go upstairs to your room everytime you need to go to the bathroom - very well thought through.

The website says there is also a pantry for guests' use, but I didn't see it (to be fair I didn't ask for it since we had no use for it during our stay).

The breakfast was good, I liked the continental buffet with the selection of cereals. Cooked breakfast was also good, we really liked the organic sausages, they were really delicious. It was a good breakfast, but although I couldn't point out anything that was faulty, we stayed in 5 B&Bs during our holiday and the other breakfasts were all in their own way amazing or even the best we've ever had, so although it was really good, it just couldn't keep up with the others we had elsewhere.

Paul & Janie were very nice and welcoming, and the rooms, hallway and lounge were in pristine condition.

I'm afraid I couldn't say the same for Ilfracombe. I guess with the sun shining every seaside resort looks much better than in rain, but I thought it was a rather run-down town and apart from the amazing beaches nearby (Woolacombe sands is just fantastic) there is not much to see, shop or eat in Ilfracombe itself. If you would like to stay in Ilfracombe though, I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple