Score Valley Country House
  • Bar/Lounge
Good 3.5/5
  • Beachfront
  • Restaurant
All reviewssurrounding townsperfect hostsroll top bathlovely hotellocal areastayed here for nightsfriendly hostsfull english breakfastbed was comfortablehome from homea wonderful stayshort breakrogerdevonwifidogheartedly
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 30 July 2014

We stopped here for four nights and were thrilled with this find. Roger is a great front of house host who really made this guest house better than your average hotel. Jenny makes an excellent breakfast (good range of cooked food included in the price) and was very helpful. The hotel is close to Ilfracombe by car or just over a fiver in a taxi. Bedrooms are kept very clean, the grounds around the guest house are stunning and one of our party even saw a deer with two foals. Roger recommended a visit to Clovelly which was a fantastic place. I also recommend Tunnels Beaches. Thanks for a great stay.

• Stayed: July 2014
Roger W, Owner at Score Valley Country House, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2014

Thank you very much for your very generous review. We are pleased that the wedding you attended went well in the sunshine and that we were able to contribute to your extended break. I was delighted when he saw the deer in the garden. Luckily we have a disclaimer that we are unable to guarantee sightings of the wildlife but the deer certainly appear to be getting bolder. Bambi and Faline's appearances (yes, I know but it isn't me that names them) are most welcome except when they start eating the roses and flowers......then they are likely to be called slightly less endearing names!!!

Reviewed 6 July 2014

After a wonderful relaxing and eventful week at this beautiful hotel I am very sad to be home!
The hotel is clean and comfortable with excellent hosts and fabulous Breakfasts! My partner and I had busy days touring the surrounding towns with some great advice from Jenny and Rodger, then returned to the hotel in the evenings to relax and recharge ready for the next days activities!
The views from the hotel are simply stunning and I couldn't wait to go and explore!
This is one hotel I would definitely recommend and will most certainly be returning to soon!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank EmBeretta
Reviewed 26 May 2014

We stayed for a week and were treated very well by the hosts Roger appears to be the front of house where Jenny I assume works hard behind the scenes. Both were really welcoming and want to make your stay as comfortable as possible. Excellent range of breakfasts with a lovely cooked. My wife really enjoyed the waffle and yogurt with strawberries and banana. The hotel is tucked away on the outskirts of Ilfracombe and set in lovely grounds with plenty of parking. We stayed on the top floor with ensuite bathroom although there are quite a few stairs but this was mentioned when we booked. Overall if you are looking for a quiet stay in a lovely old house with character the look no further.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank RustingtonRickyLorna
Reviewed 20 April 2014

Just got back from a lovely couple of nights at Score Valley. Jenny and Roger are perfect hosts and nothing was too much trouble for them. Jenny's breakfasts are amazing and the menu is varied so if you don't want a full English there are plenty of other cooked options!
Our room was beautifully decorated and spotless as was the bar and dining room. This time we ventured down into Ilfracombe on foot rather than take the car down a quaint country lane (steep on way up so an ice cream or equivalent is advised whilst in the town!)

I couldn't imagine a trip to Devon without stopping in at Score Valley.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank snugbug83
Reviewed 17 April 2014

From the very warm welcome, to the wonderful room and the very good breakfast, everything about this hotel is to be recommended. Both Roger and Jenny are excellent hosts both available and unobtrusive.
I would whole heartedly recommend this hotel.
The only advice I would give to other travellers is to ask about the alternative exit from the driveway

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple