“Nothing too much trouble”
Review of Palm Court Hotel

Palm Court Hotel
Ranked #12 of 20 Hotels in Ilfracombe
Reviewed 4 October 2011

We visited the Palm Court Hotel last week on a coach tour from North Wales, we offen go on these tours and I have to say what a great time we had. Nice big room very clean and comfortable. The best thing was the food Iam a veggie and where you normally have just one veggie choice I was offered a special menu where there was at least 8 choices. Thank you Palm Court for looking after me so well. The staff were great and very friendly and kind. We also enjoyed the entertainment I nearly won the Quizz, we also had a great singer and a fella who playe the organ. All in all a great holiday

Room Tip: Nice level walk to the Harbour and Seafront
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank alan m

Reviewed 22 September 2011

Weather wet and blustery outside, but the conservatory was light and airy, perfect place to read the papers after breakfast. Breakfast was plentiful, hot and as self service, I got just what I wanted. Perfect start to the day.

Room was pleasant and comfortable, after all the walking, a comfortable bed was perfect.

Everything was clean, staff lovely, nothing was too much trouble.

The evening meal was well cooked, cheerily served, the menu was varied and the dining room bright and very hospitable. The entertainment each evening was just that, very entertaining - the high light was the bingo and quiz night - a real icebreaker with the guests!

Taking my Mother in Law on her first holiday after losing her husband was quite a stressful time, but the Palm Court and its staff made me determined to repeat the experience with them next year.

Many thanks all of you.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Sarah D
Reviewed 13 August 2011

Hotel is dated, rooms have worn out furniture and gaudy curtains. Popular with coach parties and older clientele. Guests have to wait for bell to ring to go into dining room, not allowed to sit where you want, food rationed, no extras, although breakfast buffet a bit better, but limited choice of food with someone making sure you don't sneak 2 rashers of bacon instead of one onto your plate! One fish and chip dinner we had was truly awful.
Lift is tiny and slow, always had to queue, stairs like a labyrinth, building on different split levels. TV not working but was fixed same day.
Found it all quite bizarre!
On plus side - most cleaning and kitchen staff were from overseas (Poland) and they were all lovely and very helpful when you needed something. Really happy about that. Rooms clean enough, bed comfy, easy walk to town and harbour area, big Lidl supermarket on corner. Next door to the tunnels, leading to great bathing area and beach. Liked Ilfracombe and Devon, but not keen on this hotel.

Room Tip: some really tiny, insist on a double with space
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
5  Thank pichis83
Reviewed 10 July 2011

We visited Ilfracombe on a coach tour and stayed at the Palm Court Hotel, well we had a great time staff were friendly always helpful and nothing too much trouble. Our room had a new carpet nice size and very clean, bathroom had a shower over the bath, and again very clean. We really enjoyed the food and with the buffet breakfast no need for lunch. \we will be back!!!

Room Tip: large low floor
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
6  Thank dhbenn
Reviewed 29 June 2011

Having travelled down to see family a warm welcome greeted me upon arrival. Super friendly staff (nothing to much trouble) Clean and well kept room. Breakfast was buffet style all of which was freshly cooked and rather yummy! A very comfy hotel with a lovely happy atmosphere.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
6  Thank fumblefairy
Reviewed 27 June 2011

I have just returned from a great holiday at the Palm Court, both my friend and I really enjoyed our stay. The staff are second to none, they really made our holiday always helpful anf friendly. Our room was spotless as was the rest of the hotel, always willing to give extra teas and coffees, you only have to ask. We loved the buffet breakfast, never been to a hotel which provided this before really made every day special. We liked where is was as well, right near the front and on the level, we sat out most evening in the gardens just down the road. Could have done with better weather but you cant have it all!!!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
4  Thank chilli009
Reviewed 21 April 2011

I had read previous reviews but have never before let them put me off - but how I wish i had listened. My partner and i (in our early 60's) travelled with GB Tours for 4 days. The staff were very friendly and helpful but the hotel - oh my goodness! We were initially given a wrong room and hoped the correct one would have been better but no! The crinkly old carpet is a safety hazard for those a bit wobbly on their feet. The room was dated and poorly furnished but for a budget break I would not complain about that. The round bottom bath is also a safety hazard - a mat to put in the bath has to be booked at reception!! The bath mat is a piece of paper marked 'bath mat' presumably so you don't think it's a piece of old newspaper someone has left behind! Another of the guests actually had an electric wall heater in the bathroom!! The food is awful - really bad, so much so that on night 2 I left the fish which was meant to be cod (no way!) and i was violently ill soon after. The last night I settled for a salad as did the other ladies on the table. It was passable but no salad dressing, no mayo, no coleslaw (one of us went and bought a pot to share). Entertainment - well we don't bother with it but we were told that on the 2nd night it was so bad most people left early. The 'ballroom' was shocking! Straight out the 50's with it's hideous fluorescent strip lighting. This is not a hotel it's a care home without the care. I think the owners really don't care less!

Room Tip: My tip is - DON't GO THERE
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple