All reviews harbour view lord nelson room four poster free upgrade served hot tea and coffee out of season stayed one night twin room quay dog seagulls devon pubs
Reviewed 23 July 2018

Was booked into the hotel for 2 nights but only stayed for 1.

This had clearly been a grand hotel in its hey day unfortunately that is definitely not the case now and the place needs to be renovated as soon as possible.

Check in was easy enough and we were shown to a large four poster bedroom overlooking the harbour. The room was clean, with gorgeous views and the biggest mirror we had ever seen, the bed was huge and had fresh bedding,, the bathroom was very small and the paintwork scuffed. There was the added advantage of soap being left in the shower from a previous occupant!

The furnishings were dreadful, bedside lamp smashed, fraying carpets that didn’t meet, stained small table and dressing table, stained chairs and a cushion with cigarettes burns. The bedroom is not at all modern with lots of dark furniture - reminded us of Spanish hotels!

We ate our evening meal in the bar, as all the local restaurants were packed, but it was not nice. Ordered spicy chicken wings that looked liked they’d been boiled with bbq sauce poured over, no spice at all. We also ordered sweet and sour chicken, it was all brown meat (you get chicken breast at MacDonald’s) and most of it was left. When I asked for a refund the I thought the woman at the bar was going to hit me, she was awful.

I’d like to say that breakfast salvaged the stay but it didn’t. The food itself was fine with plenty of choice but the milk was left out in really hot weather, pour your own juice from a carton (it was cheap stuff) and all served in a room that is as depressing as the rest of the place.

Goes without saying that we won’t be going back unless the hotel is upgraded.

Stayed: June 2018
4  Thank JugsGirl
Reviewed 22 July 2018 via mobile

We’ve stayed here before and the last time was quite pleasant. Unfortunately I can’t say the same about this time. When we arrived, the hotel manager/handyman was in his cupboard and greeted us. He was kind enough and it takes him some time to find the bookings but that was fine. When we got to the room, on the top floor, we walked into a literal hot box. There were no windows except for a skylight that maybe opened up 6 inches. I immediately went to see the manager again and asked if we could be moved to another room. He stated that the hotel was fully booked and that was the room we payed for. I don’t normally complain about the rooms we stay in cause we don’t mind cheap and cheerful but this takes the cake. In the managers defence, he offered us a refund if we wanted it. Well that was fine but we booked a weekend away and where else were we gonna find a room at such short notice. We decided to stay, begrudgingly. The room never cooled down. A ceiling fan and 3 more fans just moved the hot air around. If you like waking up early in the morning, this room is for you. The skylight has no covering so the morning sun shines through brilliantly. The bathroom was modernised but the water pressure was nonexistent. Good thing I have no hair to wash. It would’ve taken hours to get the shampoo out. Overall, the place is quaint and being an old listed building there’s only so much that can be done with it. This room should not be sold as a double family room. It should be used as a storage room until they get windows put in it. There is no way, as the manager put it, many people specifically ask for this room. The hotel itself has very friendly staff and it’s a prime location in ilfracoombe with the views of the harbour and about a 5 minute walk from Verity. I will say, stay at your own risk. You get the right room and it can be a lovely stay. Get the hot box, it won’t be so pleasant.

Reviewed 22 July 2018 via mobile

This is our second stay at this hotel, the first stay was not great but the bedding was clean and we weren’t spending much time in the room as down here visiting friends, so it was fine for a place to sleep. This time...I can’t wait to sleep in my own bed tonight. On arrival, not a very warm welcome by the owner and it felt like he could not find our booking (very slow). We made our way to our room, up 4 flights of stairs to room 38... I am unsure how this room is fit to be let out in this hot weather we are having. The room was small with a double bed and bunk beds, how they fit a family in there with no room to move is beyond me, the base of the bunk beds rests against the double bed, so the double can only be reached from one side. The worst point about this room is there are no windows, actually that is s lie, there is a small sky light set into the roof that opens about 6 inches. The room was like a sauna, one fan, we got another from reception, on the second night we borrowed a third from friends. We complained about the room and asked to be moved to be told no other room available but we could have a refund. This was not helpful as we would not get anywhere else at such short notice, we did look. In the end we got complimentary breakfast which was gratefully received but we come away to relax and have a lie in, not possible with the sun shinning from 5am and no blinds. As I’m sat here writing this I must note that the cleaners have thrown about fifteen bags of dirty laundry from the first floor, they are blocking the stairs and guests are having to walk/jump over them!!! I paid £55 a night which I was told was a good price for that room! It should not be let! The hotel and room is dirty and grubby. Great location, this hotel could be so much more.

1  Thank Sam M
Reviewed 18 July 2018 via mobile

Originally we wanted to book this hotel for our little holiday in Ilfracombe. But after reading a lot of bad reviews on other sites decided not to. Walking past it as it overlooks harbour we decided to just have a drink there. Lady that was serving looked like she's on drugs or something. Ordered a glass of wine for 4.95 and she went behind some glass wall and poured it. When I got back to our table I tasted it and it wasn't proper wine it was a glass of cheap perry. Inside the bar was full of either locals or half homeless. All smelly and drunk playing pool. I mean the bar looked like a massive tip. Awful place. So glad didn't stay there. I am realy fair with my reviews. This place is an absolute bin. Do not stay there. Do not drink there. And please for your own health and safety do not eat there. I'm not bitter person I can afford to loose 5 pounds. I'm just baffled how a place like this is still open. Absolute tip. The bar women takes an old supermarket basket to collect empty glasses just can't get over this place.

Stayed: July 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank Rasa P
Reviewed 17 July 2018 via mobile

This place was appalling! The office (reception) on arrival was a complete tip and they couldn’t find our booking. It was finally found on a piece of scrap paper at the back of the office under a plate! The manager and a employee were both very rude and had no clue about hospitality or customer service!
The bar was filthy and the drinks had an “off” taste.
The room again was filthy there was hard ear wax on the pillows and an old curtain used as a bed spread! The view was good from this room however you could enjoy this as the room was not comfortable in any way! I would avoid this place like the plague! A tent would of been a better stay then this and I cannot believe how a business can be ran in such a rude disorganised way!

2  Thank StaceyWil