“Fine.”

and 1 more site!
The Osborne Hotel
Ranked #6 of 20 Hotels in Ilfracombe
Reviewed 14 May 2013

I visited Ilfracombe in early May 2013 and we were let down by the weather (and the other passengers to be fair...).

The hotel is clean, tidy and has lots of info about what to do and where to go around and about the place. The staff were friendly and helpful but there seemed to be dogs (belonging to staff) everywhere which I found a bit disconcerting - I'm sure other people would love it.

The hotel is brilliantly situated! Right across the road from the Tunnels Beaches and the Torrs walk and about five minutes from a lovely beach and the theatre. Probably ten minutes briskish walk from the harbour (can't recommend the harbour in the evening or at night - something really needs to be done about the boy racers and general chaviness but that's not the hotel's fault).

My room was seriously tiny - like a box. It was clean and there was tonnes of storage but no bedside table which I honestly didn't think would be that much of an issue but it was... The shower was brilliant and the standard of cleaning was great but I put my towel in the shower to be replaced on the last day and it wasn't replaced (to save money??). The room had an atrocious view - the back of somebody else's hotel I think.

The dinners were fine - not fine dining like everybody said but enough of it and good choices each time. Not enough meringues for my liking! The local sausages in cider sauce were a particular highlight. :) There were those little longlife pots of cream for the coffee at the end of dinner instead of fresh cream or milk which was a little disappointing. The drinks at the bar were overpriced even at happy hour (£4.50 or so for a large(ish) glass of wine).

I didn't stay for the entertainment but caught little bits of it at the end of the night. A little old fashioned for my taste (Lipstick on Your Collar was the one song I remember).

The only time I tried to go in the sauna, it was closed and nobody about to ask about it so I gave up.

Now we get to the crux I think. The owners go on and on about holidaymakers being 'part of the family' which I'm sure lots of people think is fine - I found it a bit creepy and the owners obviously thought it gave them free reign to discard their filters. On the last day I was treated to a speech about how brill Nigel Farage is... Wow. I felt incredibly uncomfortable and would have much preferred the owners to keep any UKIP leanings to themselves - ymmv.

Having read the review through, it sounds very negative but actually I went for a place to lay my head and to eat some food and for that it was fine. It wasn't however, a place I felt comfortable hanging around.

Room Tip: Not room number 5!
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
6  Thank EleanorB62
osborneIlfracombe, Owner at The Osborne Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 May 2013

Thank you for your review. We were pleased to see that you were happy with 'most' of your stay here. Howerver, on reading your review, there were a few comments which we as the owners of the hotel felt we should respond to.
Room 5 the bedroom you stayed in is of a standard sinlge room size and funnily enough a returning guest has just requested that room for their next stay here. We are a family of dog owners and dog lovers. The only dog who is a regular visitor to the hotel is Dolly, Sandy's dog. If her presence offended you then we applogize. You are right though, majority of our guests do love her and are very disappointed when she goes home at lunchtime each day.
Your final comment regarding the UKIP speech given to you by a family member provided us all with confusion as none of us were even aware who NIgel Farage was until we received your review! We are not in the habit of discussing our political views with our guests. Perhaps it was a case of mistaken identity!
Any dislikes or negative experiences you've had whilst here at the hotel, we hope don't hinder your enjoyment of any future holidays you may have.

There are newer reviews for The Osborne Hotel

Reviewed 13 May 2013

great night here, reminds me of the old hotels you used to get in spain, and if it wasnt so miserable outside, thats where you could be, nicks a cracking fella with a real generous nature, you can walk along the row of other hotels on the seafront and the see all their guests looking bored and ready for bed, then you hit the osborn and its buzzing with music, race nights etc so if your on holiday for me its to enjoy a holiday spirit and thats exactly what you will find here,
stayed last wednesday paul & sarah ;)

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Hippy D
Reviewed 3 May 2013

Have stayed with Nick and family for several years now,along with group of friends,and we'll will be back again,and again,and again and again,in the near future.Excellent food in quality and quantity,spotlessly clean and warm rooms,good bar and all very reasonably priced into the bargain.Nick is in the super star class at night when there's entertainment on so be prepared to laugh.You are treated like family by the management and staff,what more do you need when on holiday.

2  Thank Coachman45

Thank you Coachman for your review. We're glad you enjoyed your time here and especially glad you enjoyed our entertainment! Its good to read that our hotel and the service we provide is appreciated.

Reviewed 29 April 2013

was told of this hotel by friends who visited last year for the first time [who were introduced by more friends who had been returning for many years] & Yes!!! every thing was true [[no exageration]] Nick made us extremely welcome allthough we arrived very late..with a personal greeting of "welcome to our house"...& that is just what it was.
loads of fun,laughter & marvellous food....esp the seafood on Sat night.
We are allready planning our next trip to this hotel....n might not wait till next year!!!!

4  Thank ispokes
Reviewed 29 April 2013

Just returned from the Osborne after spending 3 night there. We were both disabled and Nick and the staff were so kind and helpful to us. The food was great and a very nice dining room to eat it in. The disabled faciltiy room we had was large and light with grab rails to pull down in the bathroom, my only comment was that the chair for the shower did not fit in unless you put it in sideways and then you could not get it. Overall a first class hotel in every way. We will certainly recommend it and be back ourselves.

3  Thank Pamela-Dorset
Reviewed 28 April 2013

Had a really great time! Lots of fun and laughter ! Was really well looked after, nothing was too much trouble for Nick and his staff. Second year here and no doubt we will be back next year !
The thing you could not do for us Nick was make the sun shine every day x

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Suebboys
Reviewed 23 April 2013

This is the first time in this hotel. Found the staff friendly helpful they couldn't do enough for you, the entertainment was a fantastic but is not the word for it excellent! The rooms were clean,big,comfortable and made you feel at home we was 2 out of 34 party and everyone thought the same. We never enjoyed are self as much as we did there, we go some were different every year and we will be going next year you was so close to the harbour it was fantastic thanks for a lovely weekend !!

Colin and Carol 1 of the Chelsea crowd

Room Tip: They were all good really
2  Thank carol_colin2003