“The perfect place”
Review of NuBeginnings

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ilfracombe
NuBeginnings
Oslo, Norway
“The perfect place”
Reviewed 22 July 2012

Imagine the impossible place. A perfect sanctuary for you to improve physically and mentally. Imagine everything it would take to really be the place of your dreams. You would need the best of the best in personal trainers, sports therapists, NLP coaches, hiking guides, managers, chefs... The food would have to be great, grown locally even, and it would have to be in a beautiful setting of course, and everyone would have to be there 24/7 so you didn't have to think about anything other than yourself and your wellbeing. Sounds too good to be true, but it isn't. This is the place.

I spent two weeks here in june and I fell in love with its devotion to making people reach their full potential. NuBeginnings is all about you, your health, and your time. From the moment you arrive you are completely taken care of by extremely friendly and competent staff. The rooms in the victorian mansion are absolutely beautiful. My view was a zen-lovers dream with crooked pine trees and the town below. A gentle knock on the door wakes you up every morning. You are fed, trained, massaged, coached and nurtured. The chef prepares wonderful meals that are extremely good for you, and you will need every single one of them, because you WILL work hard. From morning to evening.

If you have zero or a hundred lbs to lose makes no difference. These people have seen everything under the sun. They are the best in their field, and they will make you feel very comfortable. At first... Then stiff, sore and proud! :D The workouts are brilliant fun and very varied. The full day hikes takes you all over the countryside to spectacular scenery in protected areas. You will sweat on the beach, spot wild horses on the highlands, meet unforgettable people and watch your belly shrink from day to day.

Just go. Now. I can't make it any simpler than that, and you are wasting valuable time reading reviews :D

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
4 Thank Siri P
Victoria W, Owner at NuBeginnings, responded to this review, 24 July 2012
Dear Siri,
Gosh - what can I say??

Thank you for such a glowing and lovely review. I have read this to the whole team and they are thrilled to hear you are doing so well.

I think your review says it all so thank you again for sharing your experience.

Warmly,

Families
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 14 June 2012

I spent two weeks in nubeginings in North Devon , despite reading the negative comments a freind of mine had recommended this place to me. What can i say !!! Jennie and Dave are absoultely FANTASTIC ! they have been supportive all the way , always listened when i need to talk , were very patient ! i loved the whole team , Shane , Gary , Sharon , Kiren , Carol ,Phil whom i want to all take back home with me ! The place was spotless , rooms were cleaned on a daily basis , i booked a massage everyday so i can relax after a long day of excersise . The hypnotherapy really helped me out . They only accomodate 8 guests at a time which is really great because you do get personal attention .Flying over 11 hours to come here was really worth it . I Would definately come back again and recommend to all my family and friends

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
5 Thank wayn m
Victoria W, Owner at NuBeginnings, responded to this review, 24 July 2012
Dear Wayn,
Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay. I am delighted you had such a good time and of course thrilled that you flew such a long way to take part in our programme.

We look forward to hearing about your ongoing success.

Thank you again.
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 June 2012

Having retired at 59 and with a knee that partially needed replacing I was feeling quite low. Many of the things I wanted to do didn't seem possible any more.With my daughter's wedding looming I was tired of being squeezed into expensive dresses that just did nothing for me. In a fit of desperation I bought a lovely dress and jacket and resolved to "fit it or ---". I know sounds foolish 'I'm really quite a steady neddy!'. I spent ages trawling the internet looking for a miracle cure of which there are many and then I saw NuBeginnings. It took a while for me to make a decision to go; by which time I had read Victoria's book and was beginning to understand that this is a life changing move. Don't worry about this if it sounds a bit dramatic- as they say at Nu Beginnings" How do you eat an elephant- bit by bit". From the moment I was picked up at Exeter Airport by Dave (bang on time) the attention I received was amazing, professional and caring. The trainers Shane and Kieran were excellent. The last trainer to get me moving-in the best possible way- was Buster McShane Mary Peter's trainer,so praise indeed. I will not easily forget that hand up the hill! Shane was not going to let me give up and Kieran took his duties with equal care " stretching" is now a whole new concept for me. If Gary the Chef had fitted into my suitcase he would now be in Belfast catering for my family's every whim; but in a healthy way. The hiking guides Cap and Terry were consummate gentlemen with top quality experience in their field. The massage, hypnotheraphy, NLP, Pilates, TiChi and Zumbo classes were very useful and great fun. Whatever your level you can do it. The laughter was great too.
The location alone is a must to be visited. Prior to my decision to go to NuBeginnings my husband and I were going to go to Italy for a pre- wedding suntan etc. Although I knew we would only come back another half stone heavier and the thought gave me the shivers. Ilfracombe is such a beautiful area we will definately visit it again. I came home rested, happy, slightly tanned with lbs and cms lost and a plan. When Jennie put a dumbell weight in my hand equal to the weight I had lost I was horrified, was I really carrying that weight around; I resolved to continue the programme.( but then I guess Jennie knew what she was doing). I now fit into that mother of the bride outfit and am working on losing another two stone as this will add another 10 years to the life in my joints( so my doctor said) and I might still be able to buy that horse I wanted.
I am more than happy to recommend NuBeginnings to all. I have never before written in trip adviser but have read it myself.

Room Tip: All rooms would be quiet. One with a view down to the town and out to sea like mine would be lovely.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
6 Thank 186470Pamela
Victoria W, Owner at NuBeginnings, responded to this review, 8 June 2012
Dear Pamela,
Thank you for writing such a wonderful review for NuBeginnings.

The whole team is asking to see a photo of you in "The Outfit" and we are all absolutely delighted for you that you will not only be looking fabulous but also feeling fantastic for such an important day.

Congratulations on making such important changes and thank you again for taking the time to write your story - I am sure it will resonate with other people.
Warmly,
England
Reviewed 30 May 2012

I was not seriously overweight but was worried that on reaching 60 years I could live for a lot longer and had so much more to do with my life. However, I was getting frustrated with my health, fitness and general outlook. I was looking for a road map to wellbeing. A friend recommended NuBeginnings and it was a revelation. Their approach is holistic, it is not just about exercise and diet, but also about relaxation and getting your head in the right place. I have embedded the NuBeginnings program into my lifestyle. My BMI is now in the healthy range and my blood pressure has gone from bordering on severe hypertension to normal, and what my doctor described as one of the best he had seen in a man of my age!

The accommodation is good: I would rate it as 4-star. What makes the whole package work is the staff who are really fun, friendly and helpful. Overall, excellent value when you take into account everthing.

The best thing is that NuBeginnings inspired me to run the London Marathon 2012 and I finished with no injuries or problems. In fact I was out running again within 4 days. This was my first ever marathon (at 61 years) and I had never even run a half-marathon.

Room Tip: I had a standard room which I was happy with - you can upgrade if you want a bit more luxury.
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled solo
6 Thank Zenon4
Victoria W, Owner at NuBeginnings, responded to this review, 2 June 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay - I am delighted you had such a good time.

All the team at NuBeginnings send their hearty congratulations on your marathon success.

Again thank you and we will continue to offer you every support and encouragement as you continue with your new beginning.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 May 2012

Ive spent 4 weeks at nubeginnings over the past 3 years and I can comfortably say that I have had a great experience each time I have been there. I have never written a review on trip advisor, however, after seeing the comments made by Watson4_11 I felt compelled to say a few things. I disagree with her assessment of the scheduling. Yes it is try that the majority of the time is spent hiking rather than in a gym doing personal training but this is because working out in a gym is something you can do at home. why come all the way to devon and spend your time doing things that you can do when you're at home! Exercise after dinner was not a problem because the dinners are very light (lols obviously because its a weight loss camp!) - indeed most of the classes after dinner tending to be fairly chilled and if a guest did not want to participate they could always go to bed. I for one skipped a few of the evening classes because i wanted to get to bed early - it was never a problem.
However my greatest point of disagreement with Watson4_11 was her suggestion that the management (Jennie and Dave I suppose she meant) "were consumed with themselves ; and tried to avoid helping guests whenever asked." This assessment of Jennie and Dave could not be further from the truth. As I mentioned I have been to nubeginnings 4 times and i have always found them to be helpful, conscientious and patient. I tended to be a little fitter than the other guest and Dave never complained about having to get an extra hiking guide - if for some reason that was not possible he always came and apologised to me personally. I have never known a guest to have a problem with them so I was truly shocked by what Watson4_11 had to say. From her review I can only surmise that she went to a different weight loss camp with a fake Dave that masquerades itself as nubeginnings. I would really encourage potential guests to ignore her negative comments or at least take them with the largest pinch of salt because nubeginnings is a great place to go for a week or two to relax, get fit and transform your life.

Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
6 Thank ybo3
Victoria W, Owner at NuBeginnings, responded to this review, 31 May 2012
Gosh - what can I say? What a lovely review and more importantly I have checked that Dave and Jennie didn't write this themselves and am delighted to report that they didn't.

It is particularly wonderful that a guest has chosen to defend our honour for us and put the record straight. I thank you for taking the time to do so. Even more than that congratulations on another successful stay at NuBeginnings and I hope you continue living a healthier and happier life.

Thank you again for writing about your stay. Thank you also on behalf of Jennie and Dave for your very kind comments about how hard they work to ensure everyone has a good time. We will be in touch soon to see how you are doing.
london
Reviewed 25 May 2012

I went to Nubeginnings for a week in May 2012 with my wife, having been there on my own 2 years ago. Yet again it exceeded expectations on several fronts and I would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone who would like to lose a bit of weight or simply to focus on their health and detox for a week.
The week is well-structured with a mix of exercise, massage, dietary sessions and low GL meals which are very creatively put together by the talented chef, Gary.
The managers, Dave and Jenny, run a tight ship and are unfailingly helpful to the guests.
The exercise team of Shane and Kieran find your fitness level and know how to push you, without any sergeant-major stuff.
The hiking was an absolute highlight on Exmoor and the stunning Devon coast around Ilfracombe. The guests are divided up according to walking speeds and endurance and each group has their own guide. We had 3 guides between 5 people which was great and I effectively had my own personal guide for 3 hikes and he was great company.
You may wonder why if the regime was so good why I went back. The answer is that I wanted to have another healthy week and refresh my knowledge of the dietary regime which had got rusty. I found being there with my wife added another dimension too.
Many thanks to all the team at NB.

Room Tip: Room 4 is a corner room on the first floor with large windows with 2 aspects
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank James K
Victoria W, Owner at NuBeginnings, responded to this review, 26 May 2012
Thank you James for such a lovely review. The whole team is very grateful to you for taking the time to put your feelings about your stay into words.

Congratulations on your successful week and I hope you and your wife continue to reap the rewards of your time at NuBeginnings.
Maidstone
Reviewed 14 May 2012

I arrived at Nubeginnings feeling a little nervous and apprehensive about a week away with strangers - these nerves were soon lost when I was greeted by the Nubeginnings team, shown to my lovely room (room 2, a lovely large rom with dual aspect windows overlooking Ilfracombe bay) and gradually met the other guests who I would be sharing this experience with.
In my week at Nubeginnings I lost 8lb, met wonderful and inspiring people, learnt how to effectively combine a family and hectic work life with some 'me' time as well as eat well and exercise.
After yoyoing through many types of diets and various exercise classes I have now got the key skills and knowledge I need to make these things part of every day life and not a chore. The food was fantastic, we loved getting back from our hikes to find what lovely surprises Gary had made for us!
The fitness instructors are second to none, they were fun, motivational and extremely knowlegable and gave us all a sense of self belief because of the encouragement and belief they had in us. I have looked at getting a personal trainer now I'm home but unfortunately with such high standards being set I have yet to find one.
The relaxation sessions were great and as well as my massages I also booked to have additional Reiki sessions - never having had these before I wasn't sure what to expect but was amazed at the positive effect these seesions had. Jenny was great fitting my additional sessions in to an already busy timetable.
For anyone hopping back and forth to the Nubeginnings website and wondering whether or not to book just do it. I wish I had gone sooner as it was the best investment I've made and am now slimmer, happier and more positive.
Have fun and enjoy the inspiration and passion that Nubeginings can give you

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
4 Thank suzanne c
Victoria W, Owner at NuBeginnings, responded to this review, 15 May 2012
Thank you very much for taking the time to write about your stay with us. I am delighted you had such a wonderful time and that you are now continuing your NuBeginning at home.
Congratulations on your fantastic results and thank you again for your lovely comments.