“A great Boutique bootcamp for a New beginning...”
Review of NuBeginnings

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ilfracombe
NuBeginnings
Fremington, United Kingdom
“A great Boutique bootcamp for a New beginning...”
Reviewed 19 December 2010

Nubeginnings is a great Boutique Bootcamp where you get the all round experience that covers Fitness , nutrition & mind. It is run by great people who really look after you and most importantly support when you go back home. The Hotel is lovely , comfortable and clean , with a great on-site chef who really feeds you well. All in all a worthwhile experience that really got me off to a new healthy lifestyle. See my full review at Nubeginngs.co.uk.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled solo
2 Thank MicheleBlackman

Families
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Brit from Brussels
Reviewed 31 October 2009

This was my 3rd time and once again Nu Beginnings delivered. I first came last year (Aug 08) seriously overweight, stressed and lacking focus in my life. What Nu Beginnings gave me was a space to think, a great program and fabulous food all delivered in a wonderful environment by an outstanding team. Nu Beginnings styles itself as a boutique boot camp and that is precisely what it is. A beautifully renovated country house high in the Ilfracombe hills provides the 'boutique'. My room was beautifully appointed - big squishy bed, beautiful cotton sheets, an abundance of pilows and cushions and a view to kill for. The program itself had plenty of the 'boot' in it with long walks, yoga, pilates, beach fitnesss, gym sessions, tai chi, running - all the things you would expect froma boot camp. On top of that the treatments(3 massages), lectures and hypnotherapy sessions contributed to an overall experience which was both holistic and effective.

Victoria and Frank, who own and run Nu Beginnings really set the tone with their enthusiasm and encouragement. I have lost almost 50lbs since I first visited and am now actively competing again in masters level running events...something that would have been unthinkable just over a year ago. For me Nu Beginnings was exactly that and I would recommend it to anyone looking for a week that expertly combines style and comfort with rigour and results.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled solo
3 Thank Happyandcontented_9
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 October 2009

I would definately recommend Nubeginings to anyone looking for a break focusing on their health and fitness, especially if you want to loose weight too. Everyone that works at Nubeginnings are definately the best they can find. They are all good at their speciality - from the personal trainers to the massage therapists to the chef! All of them work to a very high standard. The accomodation is very good, a very relaxed and homely atmosphere rather than a hotel.
The timetable is packed with lots of activities and the hikes along the north devon coast which is stunning are great fun and really make you appreciate our country.
If you are as lucky as me you will be able to share your experience with a great group of people and make some new friends.
If you want to ask any thing please don't hesitate to email me.
Go for it and enjoy every minute.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled solo
2 Thank likeluxuryBoc
Northern England
Reviewed 18 October 2009

I recently spent two weeks at Nubeginnings, i did quite a bit of research into boot camps before i selected them and the reasons i chose them were:

1: Individual rooms with your own onsuite facilities; Some of the places i looked at had you sharing dormatories and facilities, i am quite shy about my size so i didn't want this. Some were also women only which i thought was a bit unfair.

2: Range of activities; Nubeginnings had lots of activities like tai chi (it wasn't tai chi but something similar that i can't remember the name of now!), yoga, boxercise, gym sessions, hiking, stretch class and even a really fun funky dance class. I wanted to find something that i enjoyed and could keep up with when i went home.

3: Hypnotherapy and NLP Therapy: I had stopped smoking using hypnotherapy but i had never even thought about it being used for weightloss before.

4: Small groups and friendly instructors; the more military bootcamps put me off with the idea of shouty instructors and enormous groups.

5: Sensible hours; getting up at 5am and doing 10 hours exercise a day is not my idea of sensible hours or anything that can possibly be sustained. Nubeginnings had a 7:30am start as the earliest and you did about 4 - 5 hours exercise a day.

6: Massage; I had never had a massage before so the idea of getting three of them during the week sounded good to me!

7: An all round program; As well as all of the above, the program had a talk or demonstration each evening after dinner. These ranged from a cooking demo with the chef (amazingly it turned out you got to taste the food to!) to an aromatherapy demo and a talk from a qualified nutritionist (with whom you could also chose to have a one on one session with at the end of the week to help plan for going home).

8: I will explain this one at the end......

I had considered doing a day by day diary but i think that first impressions count so i will just recap my arrival and first evening........

I was very nervous when i travelled down to Devon on the train so the chap with the nubeginnings sign with your name on waiting at the train station is a quite welcome sight. His name is Dave and he runs the program with his partner Jennie. On the drive accross to Ilfracombe Dave put us all at our ease and answered any questions about our stay. When we got to Nubeginnings we were welcomed at the door by Jennie and Caroline (who i had spoken to before over the phone, in fact she took my booking, so it was nice to put a face to the name). You were shown to your room (very nice view of the harbour) and left to unpack. When you were ready you went downstairs in your exercise gear for the all important weigh in followed by a short fitness test with the really friendly fitness team who very importantly didn't do any shouting! After that you can meet the other guests (turned out i was the only bloke) before dinner. As expected there was an awfull lot less food than i was used to, but what i didn't expect was that it would be so tasty! Jennie assured me that if i ever really felt hungry then a piece of fruit, or some nuts or a 'protien ball' would be made available and while i got through the week without requesting any of these it was nice to know that they were there if needed. After dinner Jennie gave a talk telling us all about how the program works and what to expect each day followed by a relaxation session in the studio ran by one of the hypnotherapists.
When i went to bed that night i really felt comfortable and knew that i had made the right choice!

As i mentioned above there is a huge variety of activities going on through the week and my time there seemed to flow by. But of course people who read these reviews want to know about the results so here goes....

In my time at Nubeginnings i lost 15lbs! Thats 1 stone 1lb! However, i think much more important is how you do once you go back to the 'real world'.

Reason number 8 that i didn't fill in above was that Nubeginnings say that the vast majority of people who go there continue to lose weight after they leave, i couldn't find another bootcamp in the uk that even bothered to find out how you were doing once you went home but Nubeginnings call you once a week to see how you are doing. You also get a free trial membership of their 'Inner Circle' website which has fitness and food advice, recipes, food diaries etc.

Since coming home i have lost another 10lbs and found a new sense of purpose! I now swim twice a week and go to a boxercise class with my girlfriend, i cycle to work and have finnally taken charge of the destructive eating habits that have made my life so much harder than it needed to be.

Yes it's pricey, i couldn't afford to do this and have what most people would call a 'proper' holiday this year as well but i am so very glad that i chose to go there and i plan to return for one of their graduate weekends on a regular basis. I could i supose, think of something utterly minor and petty to complaign about (if i tried really hard) but i don't want to because as i said with the title of this review it changed my life for the better!

• Stayed September 2009, travelled solo
4 Thank StormieSmurf
Devon
Reviewed 12 September 2009

I have been so surprised by a recent negative review I felt compelled to put the record straight!
Nu Beginings does exactly what it says on the tin...you do start a new begining.... and you most definately leave with a totally different outlook
I visited Nu Beginings Feb last year.....you were made very welcome and the rooms were all very comfortable and beautifully decorated. Did not worry if there was not a glass in the bathroom.... had that been an issue for me I would have asked for one, rather than put a petty comment on a review!.....(we all had a peek at each others rooms and they were all fab)..not that we worried either whether there was a key or not for the room as we all felt like 1 big family.

The staff were very profesional throughout and were dedicated to getting results for you....yes they pushed you...yes they did give you strict instructions (for your own safety I might add)....yes they delivered good service...the result was fantastic for me.

The food was scrummy...mind you, took a while to get used to the smaller portions, but after the Hypno session I soon realised how to eat slower and listen to my stomach, and also put my knife & fork down between mouthfuls...which we all found very amusing when we all started doing this after a session with Victoria.

Victoria....what an amazing person!...there are only a few people that you are lucky enough to meet in your life and I feel priveledged to have met her. Her enthusiasm, dedication and kindness will stay with me forever (even the white fluffy clouds that I still visit in my head when I am stressed!)...thank you Victoria x

So to summarise - Everyone arrives with issues...afterall that is why you are there...either to get fit...loose weight or to find the new you. If you embrace the whole concept of Nu Beginings you will leave very contented. If you are out to make everyone's life a misery because you cannot or will not face your own demons then maybe you should have a serious think of whether Nu Beginings are for you and probably go and see a shrink first!

For me - I left 8 pounds lighter, my skin and hair was glowing (After all of the detox) and my mind was positive. Overall I left feeling very happy Thank you Nu Beginings

• Stayed February 2008, travelled solo
1 Thank NettyDevon
New Zealand
Reviewed 11 September 2009

Nu Beginnings does what it promises to do. I spent a week there in May and i can honestly say it was well worth every penny.
Nu Beginnings gave me the opportunity to change my life in a supportive and structured way. I personally enjoyed the fact that we were treated like 6 year olds. My role as a psychiatric nurse is hard work (as are most jobs) and it carries a big reponsibilties working in groups using Cognitive Behaviour Therapy so i enjoyed letting go and just being where i needed to be and doing as i was asked all very therapeutic for me!
The whole programme is carefully planned out. The food was incredibly yummy. My fellow guests were great fun and kept me going even when i wanted to sit down cos i was knackered! You work as hard as you can and then some.. the peer suport is enormous.
I think Victoria Wills is one of the most amazing, inspiring women i have met and she genuinally cares about all her guests.
I would recommend this programme 100% if you are wanting to lose weight and make changes to your life. You get out what you put in. I lost 6ilbs. We all lost weight. I had the best time.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank banana36
leeds
Reviewed 10 September 2009

Do you ever come onto one of these sites and read the reviews & go that is so cliche I know that I do but I have to use one of the oldest in the book - Nu Beg team my week with YOU HAS changed my life!

Firstly THANK YOU to the Nu Beginnings crew - you all worked together & as a team made my week at Nu Begs something that I will remember fondly but most of all something that I am living everyday. I now live my life using the structure & tools you all gave me, I have a new lease on life, I am excercing more, even when the day has been hideous I remember, a little is better than nothing & once I am there its so much easier!

My room was gorgeous how could you not be happy to be out of the City & into the peace and tranquility of the gorgeous town on Illfracombe. Everything was thought of from the beautiful decor to the fresh flowers in my room. I do love having a bath but the shower was wonderful & after the hard work we were putting in with the excercise the perfect after work out accessory!

The training & staff - they were all so encouraging, even when there were times I felt that was enough, they pushed me on which meant in the end when I got my results I was over the moon who knew you could loose so many inches & drop the pounds!!

Treatments - I must say I was very scepticle of the hypnotherapy (probaly more so as I didnt know what it was or what it would do to me) which I was very voal about! Well Victoria not only did you not make me feel silly for being scepticle but took time to tell me and the team what the treatment would entail - thank you for your patience with me. You were so right it really was amazing & I entered it trying to be as open as I could be. I now go to "my place" whenever my day has been trying & use it to combat stress.

If you need to get away, de-stress, learn some better habits I could not recommend a better place to be!

Keep up the good work Nu Beginnings team