“Cheap & clean”
Review of Imperial Hotel

Imperial Hotel
Ranked #7 of 20 Hotels in Ilfracombe
Reviewed 18 August 2014

Booked this hotel at the last minute after reading a few reviews on here. The hotel itself is fairly basic but was very clean and within a few yards of the beach.
We didn't eat or drink here so I can't comment on that. The room we had was a twin on the 3rd floor. There's one lift in the hotel and we never waited long for it.
The room, for what we paid, was more than adequate. The bedding wasn't the most comfy but then again for the price it was fine. The shower and toilet area was spotless. There was also plenty of hangers in the wardrobe. There were no ironing facilities within the room but you could get these at the reception. The staff were very friendly and helpful. There are only 7 car park spaces and are on first come first served basis. There is however a car park directly opposite the hotel which cost £1 per hour and free between 6pm - 8 am. The room walls were not that thick so we did hear a bit of noise at night with people coming and going. One thing I should point out is that the hotel caters for a lot of elderly visitors. This is in no way a criticism just some information for younger people who might be expecting a different atmosphere.
The hotel itself is in a very central location. If you come out of the hotel and turn right you will find plenty of bars & tea rooms. The harbour is about a ten minute walk in the same direction.
We only stopped at this hotel for 2 nights but I would definitely return.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank 8leigh8

Reviewed 6 August 2014

Visited on an Alfa tour.
Arrived later than expected but were quickly allocated our rooms and dinner was served smoothly.
The hotel is looking old but was clean and tidy. The staff were efficient and friendly. Sometimes reception was unmanned for short periods which was a bit frustrating.
Food was very good and varied. The service was,on the whole, excellent.
The hotel is in a good location but on a slope which could be difficult for people with mobility problems. Not far from the sea front with the Pavilion theatre and pleasant gardens almost opposite.
The room was big enough for two however it was very warm, the window looked out onto a brick wall and received no breeze. The shower was very small but temperature was easy to control. TV reception was erratic to say the least. Free WiFi in lobby area.
Entertainment was good. No problem with being served at the bar. Drinks were expensive though.
Alfa provided another good holiday and whilst our driver wasn't very talkative you felt safe with him at the wheel. So all in all a lovely holiday. Would recommend.

Room Tip: Ask for front our rear facing room, to ensure some ventilation.
3  Thank checkitoutLancashire
Reviewed 5 August 2014

We travelled here with Alfa coach holiday’s
The hotel is awkward to access you are out on a limb on the roadway when leaving the coach you are wedged between the coach and parked cars and then a 40 yard walk to the hotel it was okay for us as we had good weather but it must be awful on a bad windy wet day
Access to the hotel is bad as all the smokers stand on the steps by the entrance they seem to be there day and night
The hotel is very tired and it needs money spending on it the food was very good and we were served well , the entertainment was very good but the price of drinks was high
The bedroom we had was on the 4th floor above the kitchens the heat in the room was overbearing I recorded temperatures of over 100 degrees at 11-30pm to hot to sleep under the bedding
This hotel was mainly staffed by east European workers who were very polite but that said were clueless in other ways for example we arrived at 5-45 went to our room to wash up and had to be in the dining room for our meal for 6-00pm
I am disabled and need to use a lift on getting to the lift there were others waiting after ten minutes the lift arrived it was full from floor to ceiling with luggage so we waited thinking someone would come to remove them when someone did come he screamed and ran away
Five minutes later the lift went and came back empty
The staff who work as waiters double up as chamber maids the standard of service in the rooms depend on who you got some days it was fine other days it was just not done properly
The hotel could do with a second lift as there were four coach parties in the hotel and at times the wait for a lift was far too long
We had a very unsocial coach driver who hardly spoke was not helpful and was not to the high standard of Alfa coach staff
The hotel is near to the theatre and a flat walk to a nice harbour the main shopping is up very step roads and are unsuitable for those with walking difficulties
Within a 100 yards there is weatherspoons and several takeaways there is also a lidl within walking distance

Room Tip: avoid above the kitchens
3  Thank dragfoot
Reviewed 2 August 2014

It was the best week of my life. I am 15 and yeah most of them were old but i got treated like a king because i was the youngest. All the staff are friendly especially the manager who greets you with the warmest of welcomes. Its very easy to make friends because their is a pool table and i beat 2scotish men which made me overwhelmed, the meals are b.e.a.utiful and the weather was amazing i even got a tan which i thought was impossible but i got proven wrong. So yeah very highly recommended

• Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed 29 July 2014

After reading all reviews and seeing pictures I did not expect much, however the price we paid for a family of four DBB on a self drive Alfa travel package was excellent. Before the kids were born we normally stayed in 4 or 5 star hotels on a b&b basis and used all facilities such as swimming pool, sauna, etc. Nowadays our preference shifted to a package holiday, like DBB. The hotel can be any star as long as it is clean! After booking this holiday my partner did not expect to much and he did not understand "why I was torturing the kids...staying in a hotel full of OAP-s". I used to do mystery shopping for mainly restaurants, retail shops and airlines but never hotels. So here is my verdict: the hotel stay was good, the kids loved it - especially the entertainment designed for OAP-s, my partner managed to survive playing pool and drinking every night in the bar. The hotel is very clean indeed, I let my kids walk without slippers as the carpet and the bathroom floor was so clean.(I have been in a 4 star hotel before much worst and could not walk without slippers as the carpet was so stained). After reading reviews I was expecting old furniture, cigarette and nursing home smell, but the hotel did not smell at all! I think the rooms were not as tired as on the pictures seem and the bathroom has been redecorated a couple of years ago. Even the carpet must have been changed not so long ago (in the room only). I think the food was ok, even my kids ate everything, and all came in the right temperature. Staff we're very nice and quick, and very helpful. However, there are some cons: communal areas very dated, corridors extremely dated, lift too small. We were very lucky to get parking on arriving and did not move our car for 3 days as did not want to end up loosing the space. I could not sleep properly as the seagulls were so loud (this is not the hotels fault). However most importantly my main concerns were: no air cons in rooms - rooms were really hot, my kids could not sleep until midnight each night because of the heat. Staying on the 3 rd floor and not facing the sea but some houses at the back and some walls, I could not leave the windows open all night as I think anyone could have climbed up to our room. There was some sort of terrace beneath our windows and fire escape for the neighboring houses, so did not feel safe at all. Should I have paid sea views I probably would not have had such an issue, but I could not upgrade our rooms as the hotel was fully booked. This is a security issue I think the hotel should take it seriously. Once I closed the big window it was all right but then there was the heat...Would I pay again for a self drive holiday with Alfa? Yes, as the price justified everything. In fact it was better than expected. Ilfracombe is nice, there are plenty to do with the kids (Watermouth castle, Princess Ilfracombe, the theatre, play houses, etc) but of course it all cost monies, and I did not like the non-sandy beaches. We were lucky to have such a nice weather so the holiday was not ruined, unfortunately our room was too hot to. Was the hotel worth staying? Yes, it was.

Room Tip: We are a family of 4 and stayed in 2 double room instead of a family room. Pay for sea view, not wal...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank bingoq9414
Reviewed 29 July 2014

I was pleasantly surprised by my recent stay here. The hotel overlooks the coast, is near to the town and harbour and other facilities. The common area's, although slightly dated are never-the-less, clean and well looked after. My double room (I stayed there on my own), was bright and clean and had sea views. Everything I needed for a quick stay and all for £50
ps
The staff were very pleasant and helpful too. Just goes to show that you don't have a cheap and nasty seaside guest-house in this country!

Room Tip: Seaside is always good!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 19 July 2014

This was our 3rd holiday with Alfa travel and my husband & myself thoroughly enjoyed it. The manager & his staff are to be congratulated, our room was clean & tidy and in the diningroom all waiters were efficient in serving the food always hot and a good choice, being diabetic I do require slightly different menu the main courses were very varied and met most of my needs, for dessert I had fresh fruit salad each night and for breakfast fruit salad and also toast & diabetic jam that the hotel provided( I was advised by head office to write to the hotel with any special needs ) all reception staff specifically Olga were very nice. Hopefully this will not be our last Alfa holiday.

Room Tip: Worth paying supplement for sea view we were in room 304. There is free WiFi on the whole ground flo...
1  Thank NewcastleEllie