“A Good Hotel..but”

Bay Dilkhusa Grand Hotel
Ranked #4 of 20 Hotels in Ilfracombe
Reviewed 29 September 2013

Just spent a week at the Dilkusha Grand and I was favourably impressed with just about everything...except the lift was out of order and apparently had been for several weeks. Not too much of a problem if you are young and fit..neither label fits me! I had to drag myself up to the third floor and was in a state of near collapse after each trek.

The fact is that the hotel is not at all suitable for people with any kind of walking difficulty..nor indeed is Ilfracombe, which is built on a hillside. I feel strongly that the hotel owners, Shearings, should have given aged and infirm customers an opportunity to change their holiday as soon as the problem with the lift developed, Instead of leaving it to the coach driver to slip it into the conversation just as the coach pulled up at the hotel.

I understand that one guest immediately ordered a taxi and went straight back home at vast expense..but I cannot confirm this.

All that said, this is a good hotel. It is impressive to look at and I have no complaints at all about my room, the service or food...indeed the porridge was outstandingly good. Bar service was efficient and friendly, and the entertainment was of a high standard and the compere John was a likeable guy.

All in all a really nice place. But all the good points were overshadowed by that damned lift!

1  Thank konrad1952
Pedro A, General Manager at Bay Dilkhusa Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 September 2013

Thank you very much for taking the time to post your comments. Your review is very welcomed and will help us to improve where needed.
I am glad you enjoyed the food, service and entertaiment and I will personnaly pass your positive comments to the staff.
It is very nice to see that our customers appreciate what we are doing; your review will help us to keep staff motivated, knowing that customers leave our hotel with happy memories.
As you said, it was unfortunate that lift was not working, and as you said, our staff did their utmost to help everyone. I can inform you that lift has been repaired now and is in working order.
Once gain, thank you for your positive review, and we hope to see you again, here at The Dilkhusa Grand Hotel or at any of the other destinations that Shearaings has on offer.

Reviewed 23 September 2013 via mobile

I had a lovely time staying here, and yes a few things around the hotel needed updating etc, but the staff were so kind and helpful, my only thing that I wasn't to keen on was not being able to choose where I sat for meal times, as a few people on my table liked to moan! (A lot!) my overall experience was a good one, I was on mg own and one of the youngest there but I was made to feel very welcomed, and It was the staff that made it a good experience for me! Thank you
Sharon x

• Stayed: September 2013
Pedro A, General Manager at Bay Dilkhusa Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 September 2013

Dear Sharon,

Thank you very much for your lovely comments. It was a pleasure to have you here, and I am very glad you got back home safe and with good memories about the hotel and the staff.
As you said, all the staff here at The Dilkhusa Grand Hotel work very hard and they are always happy to help customers.
Our staff goes through an In-house training programme which includes Health & Safety, Food Safety and of course, Customer Care, and we can see that it is working by the lovely reviews that we get from customers.
Once again, thank you very much for visit us and we hope to see you again, here at The Dilkhusa Grand Hotel or at any of the other fantastic destination that Shearings has on offer.

Reviewed 23 September 2013

Stayed for 3 nights with a group of bowlers and wives. Staff very friendly and food of a good standard. Unfortunately, the building shows its age - I would guess it is late 19th century - and the lift had been out of order for some time, according to local comment due to parts being awaited from Spain! Having said that, the rooms, although dated, had en-suite facilities and our bed was comfortable. Heard no serious complaints from others in our party. The four free drinks per day might have helped in this respect!

Room Tip: Until the lift is fixed ask for a room on lowest floor possible!
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
2  Thank 1940ollieC

First of all, I would like to thank you very much for taking the time to post your comments.
As you said, we offer an excellent value for money with good food, excellent service and great entertaiment.
I am glad you enjoyed your stay, and we hope to see you again in a near future.
It was a pleasure to have you with us, and all members of staff commented about how good your group was and how nice it was to have you here.
Once again, thank you for your positive review, and we look forward to seeing you again, here at The Dilkhusa or at any of the other destinations that Shearings has on offer.

Reviewed 23 September 2013

on our last stop before arriving at our hotel we were told by our driver the lift was not working but they would have staff to help with luggage not a great deal of help when you are up and down stairs to get to rooms meals and bar etc, the room needed a great deal of attention,paint peeling cracks on ceiling black mould on wall and ceiling in bathroom floorboards was very squeaky but the room was clean.the meals were good and the staff were excellent eager to please and help always polite.our driver paul was great helpful and polite.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank wendy b

Thank you very much for taking the time to post your comments, and also, thank you for visiting us.
I will pass your positive comments to the staff, which I am sure they will be very pleased as they work very hard and always provide a good service to our customers.
We will look into your comments and action will be taken.
Once again, thank you for your review, and we hope to see you again, here at THe Dilkhusa Grand Hotel or at any of the other destinations that National Holidays and Shearings have on offer.

Reviewed 23 September 2013

My wife and I just spent 4 nights at the Dilkhusa. Service was excellent, food was very good. Our room(208), however was a big disappointment. There are cracks in the ceiling, black mould on the bathroom ceiling, paint peeling(almost to the point of non-existence) on all of the windows, and the shower doors were very ill-fitting. Add to that, the television could only get 4 channels, and it all adds up to a not-very-pleasant experience. I would have a very hard time justifiying a recommendation for this hotel.

Room Tip: Cannot recommend rooms in the extension.
2  Thank Joe C
Pedro A, General Manager at Bay Dilkhusa Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 September 2013

First of all, I would like to thank you for taking the time to post your comments. Your feedback is very welcomed.
Thank you for bringing it to my atention and I can assure you that we will take action.
I am glad you enjoyed the service and the food, and I will pass your comments to the staff.
Once again, thank you for visiting and we hope to see you again, here at The Dilkhusa Grand Hotel or at any of the other fantastic destinationas that Shearing has on offer.

Reviewed 21 September 2013

We have just stayed at the Dilkhusa Grand Hotel with Shearings. We were very impressed with the hotel. It was clean, comfortable and the food was excellent. A good choice of menu. Our room was small but well decorated, only criticism was the squeaky floorboards! all the rooms seemed to be suffering with the same problem. Otherwise we were very impressed and enjoyed out stay. Would definitely stay there again.

1  Thank sarah r
Pedro A, General Manager at Bay Dilkhusa Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 September 2013

Dear Sara r,
First of all, I would like to thank you for taking the time to post your comments. Your feedback will help us to keep working and maintaining the standards that our customers expect.
As you said, we offer an excellent value for money, with excellent service, good food and accommodation and great entertainment.
I am glad you enjoyed your stay and we hope to see you again in a near future.
Once again, thank you for staying with us and for such a positive review.

Reviewed 15 September 2013

My wife and I stayed here for two nights on a Shearings Bay Inclusive self drive break. We found the hotel to be of an excellent standard and very good value. We had a friendly welcome at reception and the receptionist explained the layout of the hotel and directions to our room. She also offered help with our luggage and gave us details regarding car parking. We actually managed to park opposite the front of the hotel on an adjacent street for no cost all weekend. Car parking in the nearby council park is £3.10 per 24 hours.
We had paid £20.00 total for an upgrade to a standard plus room. It was a good size room fitted with modern furniture, comfortable beds and a refitted shower room, the only downside was the view which looked onto an adjacent building which was not very attractive. Our room was very clean which was replicated throughout the hotel.
The restaurant, which we assume must have been fairly recently refurbished, was very pleasant, food was good quality and service excellent by very friendly staff. All the lounge areas and entertainment suite were modern and comfortable and the evening entertainment good, really enjoyed the comedian on Friday night. Service at the bar was always prompt and efficient.
As in previous reports the lift was still not working but this was not a problem for us. Would definitely go back to this hotel and would challenge anyone to get better value, we had full breakfast, dinner and even four drinks per day each and our total price, including upgrade, was £238.00!

Room Tip: Rooms on front, although overlooking road, have views of gardens opposite hotel, higher floors proba...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Pedro A, General Manager at Bay Dilkhusa Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 September 2013

Dear MikeBrawn,

Your positive review is very welcomed, and it will help us to keep working hard and also to keep staff morale high. I will personally pass your lovely comments to the staff, and I am sure they will be very happy knowing that our customers enjoyed their stay and left with good memories.
It is very nice to see our efforts are appreciated and as you said, we offer an excellent value for money with good food, great entertaiment, and very good service.
Once again, thank you for visiting us and we hope to see you again, here at The Dilkhusa Grand Hotel, or at any of the other fantastic destinations that Shearings has on offer.