“martin-great-time”

Bay Dilkhusa Grand Hotel
Ranked #4 of 20 Hotels in Ilfracombe
Reviewed 29 September 2013

Just returned from a great time at the dilkhusa hotel great food very friendly staff a special mention must go to Gary behind the bar who made our stay well worth it and also our waitress INGA who does an exceptional job in the restaurant good entertainment all week don't listen to all of the negative comments in some of the reviews just go and make your own mind up you will not be disappointed thanks again the dilkhusa be back soon Martin from Liverpool.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Pedro A, General Manager at Bay Dilkhusa Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 September 2013

Dear Martin,

I am glad you had a great time and you enjoyed the food, service and entertaiment. As you said, we offer an excellent value for money and I am very happy you enjoyed and recommended to others.
Also, thank you very much for your positive review, which is very welcomed.
I will pass your lovely comments to Gary and Inga, and I am sure they will be happy to read them.
Once again, thank you for visiting us and we hope to see you again, here at The Dilkhusa Grand Hotel or at any of the other destinations that Shearings has on offer.

Reviewed 29 September 2013

5 day holiday here with Shearings - food pretty good generally - but oh dear - the bedroom, in my opinion, not worthy of putting ANY guests in. Black mould on curtain, walls, and in the tiny shower room. To call Room 331 a double bedroom is a joke. A shower and a toilet in a 'closet' no bigger than width of a doorway one side, and your sink on the other side of the room. One person had to sit on bed to allow the other to move around the room. I'm afraid I spent a full day in this awful room as I had a really bad upset stomach and sickness. My hubby says this bedroom was second only to a 10p a night room he had in Egypt years ago - high praise indeed!
Reception told us the hotel is being refurbished, but in my opinion, there is nothing Grand about the Dilkhusa Grand Hotel!

Room Tip: Avoid Room 331
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

First of all, I would like to thank you for taking the time to post your review. Your opinion is very important to us and I can assure you that all your comments will be taken on board.
I am gald you enjoyed the food and the service.
Our Hotel is going through a refurbishment programme, and the room you were in will be redecorated very soon.
Once again, thank you for visiting us, and we hope to see you again, here at The Dilkhusa or at any of the other fantastic destinations that Shearings has on offer.

Reviewed 29 September 2013

Just spent a week at the Dilkusha Grand and I was favourably impressed with just about everything...except the lift was out of order and apparently had been for several weeks. Not too much of a problem if you are young and fit..neither label fits me! I had to drag myself up to the third floor and was in a state of near collapse after each trek.

The fact is that the hotel is not at all suitable for people with any kind of walking difficulty..nor indeed is Ilfracombe, which is built on a hillside. I feel strongly that the hotel owners, Shearings, should have given aged and infirm customers an opportunity to change their holiday as soon as the problem with the lift developed, Instead of leaving it to the coach driver to slip it into the conversation just as the coach pulled up at the hotel.

I understand that one guest immediately ordered a taxi and went straight back home at vast expense..but I cannot confirm this.

All that said, this is a good hotel. It is impressive to look at and I have no complaints at all about my room, the service or food...indeed the porridge was outstandingly good. Bar service was efficient and friendly, and the entertainment was of a high standard and the compere John was a likeable guy.

All in all a really nice place. But all the good points were overshadowed by that damned lift!

1  Thank konrad1952

Thank you very much for taking the time to post your comments. Your review is very welcomed and will help us to improve where needed.
I am glad you enjoyed the food, service and entertaiment and I will personnaly pass your positive comments to the staff.
It is very nice to see that our customers appreciate what we are doing; your review will help us to keep staff motivated, knowing that customers leave our hotel with happy memories.
As you said, it was unfortunate that lift was not working, and as you said, our staff did their utmost to help everyone. I can inform you that lift has been repaired now and is in working order.
Once gain, thank you for your positive review, and we hope to see you again, here at The Dilkhusa Grand Hotel or at any of the other destinations that Shearaings has on offer.

Reviewed 23 September 2013 via mobile

I had a lovely time staying here, and yes a few things around the hotel needed updating etc, but the staff were so kind and helpful, my only thing that I wasn't to keen on was not being able to choose where I sat for meal times, as a few people on my table liked to moan! (A lot!) my overall experience was a good one, I was on mg own and one of the youngest there but I was made to feel very welcomed, and It was the staff that made it a good experience for me! Thank you
Sharon x

• Stayed: September 2013
Pedro A, General Manager at Bay Dilkhusa Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 September 2013

Dear Sharon,

Thank you very much for your lovely comments. It was a pleasure to have you here, and I am very glad you got back home safe and with good memories about the hotel and the staff.
As you said, all the staff here at The Dilkhusa Grand Hotel work very hard and they are always happy to help customers.
Our staff goes through an In-house training programme which includes Health & Safety, Food Safety and of course, Customer Care, and we can see that it is working by the lovely reviews that we get from customers.
Once again, thank you very much for visit us and we hope to see you again, here at The Dilkhusa Grand Hotel or at any of the other fantastic destination that Shearings has on offer.

Reviewed 23 September 2013

Stayed for 3 nights with a group of bowlers and wives. Staff very friendly and food of a good standard. Unfortunately, the building shows its age - I would guess it is late 19th century - and the lift had been out of order for some time, according to local comment due to parts being awaited from Spain! Having said that, the rooms, although dated, had en-suite facilities and our bed was comfortable. Heard no serious complaints from others in our party. The four free drinks per day might have helped in this respect!

Room Tip: Until the lift is fixed ask for a room on lowest floor possible!
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
2  Thank 1940ollieC

First of all, I would like to thank you very much for taking the time to post your comments.
As you said, we offer an excellent value for money with good food, excellent service and great entertaiment.
I am glad you enjoyed your stay, and we hope to see you again in a near future.
It was a pleasure to have you with us, and all members of staff commented about how good your group was and how nice it was to have you here.
Once again, thank you for your positive review, and we look forward to seeing you again, here at The Dilkhusa or at any of the other destinations that Shearings has on offer.

Reviewed 23 September 2013

on our last stop before arriving at our hotel we were told by our driver the lift was not working but they would have staff to help with luggage not a great deal of help when you are up and down stairs to get to rooms meals and bar etc, the room needed a great deal of attention,paint peeling cracks on ceiling black mould on wall and ceiling in bathroom floorboards was very squeaky but the room was clean.the meals were good and the staff were excellent eager to please and help always polite.our driver paul was great helpful and polite.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank wendy b

Thank you very much for taking the time to post your comments, and also, thank you for visiting us.
I will pass your positive comments to the staff, which I am sure they will be very pleased as they work very hard and always provide a good service to our customers.
We will look into your comments and action will be taken.
Once again, thank you for your review, and we hope to see you again, here at THe Dilkhusa Grand Hotel or at any of the other destinations that National Holidays and Shearings have on offer.

Reviewed 23 September 2013

My wife and I just spent 4 nights at the Dilkhusa. Service was excellent, food was very good. Our room(208), however was a big disappointment. There are cracks in the ceiling, black mould on the bathroom ceiling, paint peeling(almost to the point of non-existence) on all of the windows, and the shower doors were very ill-fitting. Add to that, the television could only get 4 channels, and it all adds up to a not-very-pleasant experience. I would have a very hard time justifiying a recommendation for this hotel.

Room Tip: Cannot recommend rooms in the extension.
2  Thank Joe C
Pedro A, General Manager at Bay Dilkhusa Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 September 2013

First of all, I would like to thank you for taking the time to post your comments. Your feedback is very welcomed.
Thank you for bringing it to my atention and I can assure you that we will take action.
I am glad you enjoyed the service and the food, and I will pass your comments to the staff.
Once again, thank you for visiting and we hope to see you again, here at The Dilkhusa Grand Hotel or at any of the other fantastic destinationas that Shearing has on offer.