“Good but could have been better”

Bay Dilkhusa Grand Hotel
Ranked #4 of 20 Hotels in Ilfracombe
Reviewed 11 November 2013

Have just returned from a 5 day Shearings tour staying at this hotel. Checked in with no problems and given room 229. I have stayed in this hotel before so I knew all about the ancient lift. We got into our room which unfortunately was cold. Our friends room was cold as well and at one stage they had to get into bed to keep warm. The heating system is on a timer which I did not like. Our room was in need of a lick of paint and the hotel could really do with being double glazed. Our room was clean (spotless) and our bed was comfortable and once the heating came on it was ok. The corridors were like toast. The meals were a bit hit and miss. The cod provencale was quite bland but the Chicken & Veg pie was lovely. Breakfasts were good with plenty of choice. It was a little chilly in the restaurant so wear a jumper. Our driver, Nigel, was excellent and we were taken out on some nice trips. The staff are extremely friendly and hardworking and overall the good points outweigh the bad ones but it could have been a little better. Ilfracombe is a nice place for a holiday but it is hilly which is something to consider if you are not very mobile, but the hotel and the harbour area are all on the flat. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank JoeJoe674
Pedro A, General Manager at Bay Dilkhusa Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 November 2013

Thank you very much for taking the time to post your comments.
I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us and also that you found the bedroom clean and you enjoyed the food and the service. As you said, the staff work really hard to provide an excellent service and it is very nice to see that our customers appreciate it.
During the last few weeks, the weather had changed a lot from one day to the other; one day was dry,sunny and warm, and the following was wet and cold; it has been difficult to find the balance of when to have heating on or off. I would like to thank you for your comments and I can assure you that we have taken them very seriously.
I will personally pass your positive comments to Nigel (your coach driver) and to all the staff, and we hope to see you again in a near future, here at The Dilkhusa Grand Hotel, or at any of the other fantastic destination that Shearings has on offer.

There are newer reviews for Bay Dilkhusa Grand Hotel

Reviewed 9 November 2013

The staff are all very friendly and helpful at this hotel. Our room was spacious, clean and the bathroom modern, although I did hear stories that others were not so good. Hotel a little tired in places, but overall comfortable and I would not put anyone off staying there. Breakfasts we found very good and plenty of choice. Dinner a bit hit and miss, in terms of both quality and quantity (my husband had a main course of chicken goujons, which consisted of two sorry little things, perched on a bit of lettuce - more like a starter size), but lovely staff made sure he did not go hungry (thanks - you know who you are!). The entertainment was fine, although would have liked it to have started a little earlier in the evening (rather than waiting for bingo and quizzes to finish at 9.30 p.m.) I wonder whether they could not have the bingo etc., in the afternoon, when people are sometimes looking for things to do? Was pleased to see the entertainment so popular, but not so pleased to find it difficult to get a table there at times and also the bar/entertainment area is built in such a way that there are a lot of pillars in the line of sight. If you go with Shearings, don't miss the Big Sheep excursion - hilarious. As always, Shearings drivers professional and entertaining - they made our holiday. If you have problems getting about, be warned there is only one lift, carrying four average sized people and, at busy times, you will have a wait if you can't use the stairs. Also if you have a room on the road side, it can be a little noisy, but not too bad we found. Thanks, especially, to the lady (who seemed to be in charge?) who got me out of a sticky situation with ice - I am duly reprimanded!! Thanks again to all the staff there.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank EtoileSanderstead
Pedro A, General Manager at Bay Dilkhusa Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 November 2013

First of all, I would like to take the opportunity to thank you for taking the time to post your comments, which are very valuable to us and will help us to keep improving were needed.
Your comment about the dinner has been taken on board and I would like to let you know that we discussed it and we will make sure it does not happen again.
I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us and you experienced our excellent value for money package.
As you said, our staff provides an outstanding service and our entertainment is very popular. Regarding the entertainment, thank you for your comments; I can assure you that we will look into it.
Once again, thank you for visiting us and for your positive review, and we hope to see you again, here at The Dilkhusa Grand Hotel or at any of the other fantastic destinations that Shearings has on offer.

Reviewed 5 November 2013

This is the third tour to the Bay Dilkhusa Hotel and I have never been disapointed..Our T V could do with updating but you do not go on holiday to watch T.V. The waitresses and waiters were excellent especially Sarah. Food rest of staff were great. Keep it up.

Room Tip: No lift above third floor.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank 471MaureenHargreaves
Pedro A, General Manager at Bay Dilkhusa Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 November 2013

Your feedback is very important to us and will help to improve our services.
I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us one more time; it is nice to see guest returning to our hotel and enjoying our excellent service and great value for money. Also, I will pass your positive comments to Sara.
Once again, thank you for visiting us and for your lovely review, and we hope to see you again in a near future.

Reviewed 4 November 2013

A wonderful 3 night stay. Staff friendly and helpful. The entertainment was a real surprise. Much better than expected and enjoyable. Tv lounge for those who were not bingo addicts or quiet lounge for those who wanted to read or talk over a drink. Board and card games were not available but would have been a useful addition to those who like a quieter night in the lounge. Rooms were comfortable and clean. Some guests complained of being cold but ours was warm and welcoming.There was a very strong wind blowing from the north so I wondered if that affected some of the exposed rooms. The meals in the restaurant were very good. Adequate portions that were well prepared and presented. Value for money was excellent. We came self drive and used regular bus services to travel around and explore. The weather was dreadful yet we managed to fit in a few wonderful walks around the surrounding area. A brilliant place for active guests to visit and make the most of the stunning cliff top paths. Less active guests would be more confined but Barnstaple, theatre and coach trips would make it more worth while. Would definitely return for a stay.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
2  Thank Susan H
Pedro A, General Manager at Bay Dilkhusa Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 November 2013

Dear Susan H,

Thank you very much for taking the time to post your positive review.
I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us and also experienced the fantastic service and entertaiment that we offer here at The Dilkhusa Grand Hotel.
All members of staff work very hard to provide a wonderful value for money with good food, excellent service and great entertaiment, and we are pleased you were happy with all the aspects of your holiday.
As you said, Ilfracombe is a good place to visit and offers entertaiment for everyone, walks, theatre, local buses going to Barnstaple, Woolacombe...
As you also said, our entertaiment is very good, but we also have a couple of lounges where people could enjoy a quiet drink, read a book...
Once again, thank you very much for visiting us, it was a pleasure to have you here, and we hope to see you again in a near future, here at The Dilkhusa Grand Hotel or at any of the other fantastic destinations that Shearings has on offer.

Reviewed 3 November 2013

Stayed for 5 days as part of a Shearings holiday. room very clean by Jackie , staff were lovely and very hard working, entertainment was excellent, The food was really good value for money chris the bar man always smiling. The bath was a bit on the small side with a hand shower. ROOM 10 BUT could be re worked turn bath round and have stand up shower in bath.? thanks and well done to all the friendly staff at the Dilkhusa Grand Hotel.Would go back again.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank miner49r
Pedro A, General Manager at Bay Dilkhusa Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 November 2013

First of all, I would like to take the opportunity to thank you for taking the time to post your review.
Your feedback is very valuable to us and your comments will be taken on board.
I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us. As you said, we offer an excellent value for money and all the staff are always friendly and ready to help. Also, I will pass your lovely comments to our Barman Chris.
Once again, thank you for your positive review and we hope to see you again, here at The Dilkhusa Grand Hotel or at any of the other destinations that Shearings has on offer.

Reviewed 2 November 2013

Enjoyed the Mon to Fri holiday. Hotel staff were all very welcoming and pleasant. Four floors so the less able would need to ask for a room either near the lift or on a lower floor. Our room was pleasant. We had one on the front of the hotel so had a nice view of the park across the road and a bit of a sea view if you looked hard! The restaurant was a little cold when you first went in but soon warmed up when it became full. The staff there were very friendly although they were very busy. The food tasted beautiful and had a nice home made taste with a choice of six dishes for the main, something to suit everyone. The entertainment seemed very popular too.
I enjoyed the stay and so did the others from our large group large group.

Room Tip: Less able ask for a room on the lower floor.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Pedro A, General Manager at Bay Dilkhusa Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 November 2013

Dear Margaret H,

First of all, I would like to thank you for taking the time to post your comments. It was a pleasure to meet you.
Your opinion is very important to us, and will help to keep staff motivated, knowing that all our efforts and our excellent service is very appreciated.
I am glad you and your group enjoyed your stay with us. As you said, we offer excellent value for money with Excellent Service, Good Food and Great entertainment; all staff are always ready to help and make sure customers enjoy their stay and leave the hotel with good memories.
I will personally pass your positive comments to the staff.
Once again, thank you for your lovely comments, and we hope to see you again, here at The Dilkhusa Grand Hotel, or at any of the other fantastic destinations that Shearings has on offer.

Reviewed 22 October 2013

Weekend stay (Fri to Mon) with Shearings. The hotel is a lovely old Victorian building and the different floor levels are lovely and higgledy piggledy, there is a lift of the old variety with the cage door, a bit like being in the Thoroughly Modern Millie film . All of the staff are friendly and polite. I was on the 4th floor and walked up, at least suitcases are brought to the rooms if you travel with Shearings. My single room was clean, crisp cotton sheets and lovely white towels, just a shower and toilet in the bathroom wash hand basin in room all spotlessly clean, water temperature perfect (temperature ready set) All of the public rooms are lovely and comfortable. lounge area as a choice of comfy sofas and chairs, chairs in dining room are also comfy. Meals are really good, plenty of choice and just the right size portions, cannot believe some comments re service, I could not fault it, and the dining room was full. Lili our server was lovely, friendly, polite and efficient. Was on Bay Inclusive which included 4 drinks per day. Entertainment every evening , I only sat in the ballroom one evening as talking to people in the lounge area on 2 evenings, but what I did see what very good and had a boogy as well. A great bargain break, cannot wait until the next one.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
9  Thank Sandra C
Pedro A, General Manager at Bay Dilkhusa Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 October 2013

Dear Sandra C,

First of all, I would like to thank you for taking the time to post your lovely comments.
Your positive review is very valuable to us, and I am sure staff will be delighted knowing that our customers, once again, had a lovely time with us.
As you said, we offer an excellent value for money, with Good Food, Great Entertainment, and what is more important and it is difficult to find these days, an Excellent and professional Service.
I am glad you enjoyed everything and we hope to see you again in a near future.
Once again, thank you very much for your review.