“Really Nice Hotel”

Bay Dilkhusa Grand Hotel
Ranked #4 of 20 Hotels in Ilfracombe
Reviewed 16 November 2013

We have just returned from a five day stay at the Dilkhusa Hotel and have nothing but praise for the Staff. After a bad trip down due to an accident on the M5 that held us up for two hours everything after that was fantastic. The hotel is one of the first that we have been to that has had an upgrade and it shows. The waitress at our table 15 was a very pleasant young lady and was efficient at all times. The room we had was 315 and Donna kept it clean and tidy every day. The entertainment each night was good and the bar staff worked really hard to serve and kept a good pint. Only one point we would raise with the management would be for a shelf in the bathroom. We had one of the best drivers we have ever had on our trips by the name of Nigel who did not waffle on about things but kept us well informed about all aspects of the area and had a good knowledge of all the places we visited and took us to a place called the Big Sheep that was very entertaining. We would visit this hotel again and would recommend this hotel

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Pedro A, General Manager at Bay Dilkhusa Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 November 2013

First of all, I would like to thank you for taking the time to post your comments, and also for visiting us. Your excellent feedback is very welcomed and once again, shows that all the hard work and training is giving us very positive results and our customers are happy with what we do.
I am glad you enjoyed all the aspects of your holiday and I will personally pass your lovely comments to the staff, especially Donna and Nigel.
Once again, thank you for your excellent review and for coming to visit us, and we hope to see you again, here at The Dilkhusa Grand Hotel, or at any of the other fantastic destinations that Shearings has on offer.

Reviewed 15 November 2013

Just back from five days at Bay Dilkusa Grand Hotel Ilfracombe. What a great place, how they do it for the price I do not know. The staff are all amazing friendly, polite and helpful, Sara was our waitress and was a joy to see at every meal. Donna was our room attendant and kept our modern comfortable room sparkling. The food was very good, the entertainment very entertaining! The four free drinks every evening were most welcome. Thank you to all the staff for a very enjoyable stay.

1  Thank OlddearEssex
Pedro A, General Manager at Bay Dilkhusa Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 November 2013

First of all, I would like to thank you for taking the time to post your comments.
I am glad you enjoyed our professional and friendly service and I will personally pass your lovely comments to all staff, especially to Sara and Donna.
As you said, we offer an excellent value for money with good food, excellent service and great entertainment, and we are very happy you really enjoyed it.
Once again, thank you very much for visiting us and for your positive feedback and we hope to see you again, here at The Dilkhusa Grand Hotel or at any of the other destinations that Shearings has on offer.

Reviewed 15 November 2013

Having just arrived home from a really enjoyable autumn five day coach holiday with National Coaches staying at the Dilkhusa Grand Hotel I feel I must congratulate all the staff at the Hotel on their effort to make us welcome. Usually one can find some fault to complain about but in this case my friend and I could find little to cause complaint. Our room although on the forth floor was large, clean and warm. The menu was varied and food arrived hot and well presented. Although my friend and I did not see all the in house entertainment on offer from comments made by others it seemed well received. The Hotel issued a card to each guest which entitled us to four free drinks at the Bar or Coffee Bar. The Hotel public rooms were clean, comfortable and tidy. Our room was serviced by Diane who went out of her way to attend to our requests and in the dining room "SPEEDY" SARAH served our table always with a smile. We had informed the Hotel that my friend was diabetic and found on arrival in the dining room that the staff were aware and a special dessert menu had been arranged. If we have any small adverse comment the TV in our room was passed it's sell by date and perhaps we should have been told when booking that the lift only served three floors, .A very enjoyable experience.

Room Tip: When booking with National Holidays porterage is not included. (Carry your own case) If one have di...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends

Thank you very much for visiting us and for your positive review.
As you said, we offer an excellent value for money and all the staff works really hard to make sure our customers feel welcomed and enjoy their holidays with us.
It is very nice to read comments like yours and will help the staff to keep motivated.
I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us and I will personally pass your lovely comments to the staff, especially to Sara and Diane, whom I am sure will be very happy knowing that, once again, our customers enjoyed their stay with us.
Once again, thank you for your comments, and we hope to see you again in a near future.

Reviewed 12 November 2013

This is our second visit and cannot fault anything and looking forward to our next weekend break..
Good entertainment.and all the staff very pleasant and helpful,. All areas very clean and warm Excellent value for money.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the front of hotel
2  Thank hantua
Pedro A, General Manager at Bay Dilkhusa Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 November 2013

First of all, I would like to thank you for taking the time to post your positive review.
As you said, we offer an excellent value for money and our customers, like yourselves this time, really appreciate our efforts and high standards of service.
Also, I would like to thank you for visiting us again, which is the best compliment we could get as it means that you were happy the first time. I am glad you enjoyed your stay once again and I will pass your comments to the staff.
As we always say, "If you are not happy with our service, tell us and if you are happy, please tell the others", which is what you have done with your review. Thank you as it means a lot to all of us.
Once again, thank you for your lovely review, and we hope to see you again in a near future.

Reviewed 11 November 2013

Staff friendly. Breakfast good.Evening meal very poor. You get what you pay for.Rooms dated. No comparison to Lochs and Glens holidays.Would think twice about booking another Shearings break. Entertainment bingo and singers very average.

2  Thank shirl61
Pedro A, General Manager at Bay Dilkhusa Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 November 2013

Dear Shirl61,

Thank you very much for taking the time to post your comments. Your review is very important and will help us to improve where needed.
I am glad you enjoyed the service in our hotel. As you said, all members of staff are very friendly and do a fantastic job.
Thank you for your comments about the food. I will personally discuss your review with our Head Chef to see what went wrong. Our Restaurant Manageress, Head Chef, and our Entertainment Manager are on duty nearly every day, and they would have been very happy to help you if you had let them know your issues during your stay.
At the Dilkhusa Grand Hotel, we offer a good value for money with excellent service, good food and great entertainment, and I am sorry if you did not find it satisfactory this time. We would like to see you again in a near future, and if you decide to come back, please let us know.

Reviewed 11 November 2013

Our room was basic, but very clean, bathroom and shower spotless. Housekeeping staff very friendly. We went for breakfast at 8am and on returning to room found it had been cleaned. Good starter selection at breakfast then good hot breakfast by waiter service. Same at dinner, good three course selection served with a smile. The meals were always hot. Very nice to have pot of tea/coffee served to the table. The red wine at the bar - on draught- was expensive at £3.65 per glass. It tasted more like a dark coloured soft drink than wine. The television in our room was very small, and only had 5 channels. We couldn't get Freeview.
The hotel provides a very pleasant long weekend (if you don't drink red wine or watch tv)!
Top of our list of National and Shearings hotels. Reception staff were very helpful.

Room Tip: Higher floors are quieter, can't hear the entertainment.
2  Thank Susan A

Dear Susan A,
As you said, we offer an excellent service and all members of staff, from Housekeeping to kitchen, reception, restaurant, bar... are working really hard to provide a good service.
I am glad you enjoyed the food in our restaurant, and I will personally pass your comments to our kitchen team.
Once again, thank you for visiting us and we hope to see you again in a near future, here at The Dilkhusa Grand Hotel, or at any of the other fantastic destinations that Shearings has on offer.

Reviewed 11 November 2013

Have just returned from a 5 day Shearings tour staying at this hotel. Checked in with no problems and given room 229. I have stayed in this hotel before so I knew all about the ancient lift. We got into our room which unfortunately was cold. Our friends room was cold as well and at one stage they had to get into bed to keep warm. The heating system is on a timer which I did not like. Our room was in need of a lick of paint and the hotel could really do with being double glazed. Our room was clean (spotless) and our bed was comfortable and once the heating came on it was ok. The corridors were like toast. The meals were a bit hit and miss. The cod provencale was quite bland but the Chicken & Veg pie was lovely. Breakfasts were good with plenty of choice. It was a little chilly in the restaurant so wear a jumper. Our driver, Nigel, was excellent and we were taken out on some nice trips. The staff are extremely friendly and hardworking and overall the good points outweigh the bad ones but it could have been a little better. Ilfracombe is a nice place for a holiday but it is hilly which is something to consider if you are not very mobile, but the hotel and the harbour area are all on the flat. I would stay here again.

2  Thank JoeJoe674
Pedro A, General Manager at Bay Dilkhusa Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 November 2013

Thank you very much for taking the time to post your comments.
I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us and also that you found the bedroom clean and you enjoyed the food and the service. As you said, the staff work really hard to provide an excellent service and it is very nice to see that our customers appreciate it.
During the last few weeks, the weather had changed a lot from one day to the other; one day was dry,sunny and warm, and the following was wet and cold; it has been difficult to find the balance of when to have heating on or off. I would like to thank you for your comments and I can assure you that we have taken them very seriously.
I will personally pass your positive comments to Nigel (your coach driver) and to all the staff, and we hope to see you again in a near future, here at The Dilkhusa Grand Hotel, or at any of the other fantastic destination that Shearings has on offer.