“Let's hope this review doesn't get deleted!!”
Review of Avalon Guest House

Avalon Guest House
Avalon Guest House
Ranked #45 of 53 Ilfracombe B&B and Inns
London England
“Let's hope this review doesn't get deleted!!”
Reviewed 7 July 2010

I was asked to review the Avalon after my weekend stay and I did, with a frank and fair review. However, I checked their site today and noticed that my review was deleted by the owners!! Just goes to show that my impression of it being a jail-like environment where every minute of your stay is controlled, was correct! They are even controlling what reviews you get to see!
So how controlling was it? I rang the bell and was advised that I should have read a sign and not pressed the bell 3 times, even though the sign said that an orange light should have come on. I was advised that bit had been crossed out and I should have realised. Funny, i thought i was on holiday...
Then we get to the room. Couldn't fault it really. It was a bit small, but the view was fab. The extractor fan was very noisy though. The view from the window was great. It's just a shame only one window opened,
There was another list of instructions on how to use the shower and a book on the table with 9+ pages of instructions inside. In the book you were told that they would call you for breakfast on the intercom (yes intercom into your room!) if you weren't there 5 minutes before the end of the specified time. Do you really want the landlords to be able to shout into your room at any time? I didn't!! I felt this was a gross invasion of my privacy and if I wake up and decide to roll over and go back to sleep and miss breakfast, that's my choice. No need to summons me.
When we got to breakfast, it wasn't help yourself as per the norm. We were provided with the smallest bowl of cereal and two slices of toast each. That was it. We were leaving early to go diving but were told they don't do cooked breakfasts early.
The next day we got a cooked breakfast but it took 45 mins to get it! The book of instructions stated that when the breakfast room was busy I should "go for a walk and buy yourself a paper to read" I thought, being old enough to pay for the room, I would be old enough to decide if I want to buy a paper or not!!
Diving plans were changed so we had the option to leave early. We almost ran out of the place. To be fair to Dudley, he only charged us for the nights we stayed, but I would not recommend it to anyone unless you have no imagination of your own and need someone to manage every part of your day.

Let's hope this review is not deleted...

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank fezray

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Nottingham,UK
Reviewed 27 June 2010

The Avalon is a gem of a hotel. Conveniently located in the heart of Ilfracombe near to the harbour, sea front and all good restaurants yet remaining a quiet spot.
The sea views from the bedrooms are out of this world, Completed uninterrupted views where you can sit and watch the world go by in a perfect peaceful setting. The room was clean and comfortable with lots of storage, tea & cofee making facilities, hairdryer and even a little tray of essentials in the bathroom.
A very warm welcome from the owners Ann & Dudley Jenkins who looked after us well and a hearty breakfast with ample choice cooked to perfection each morning. If you choose this hotel you are in for a treat!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple