“Very dog friendly”

Ranked #34 of 52 Ilfracombe B&B and Inns
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
“Very dog friendly”
Reviewed 23 September 2013

This B&B is very very friendly. It's very clean and doesn't smell like an old people's home witch someone has said already. We have just come back from here over the weekend. Tv's are not small but the right size for the room. Free wifi. Great breakfast. It doesn't smell of dogs. I do no what dog smell is like, and this places doesn't smell of it. Yes I have a dog, but if you keep your dog clean and house very clean you don't get this dog smell witch some people think they can smell. It's cheap to if you want to stay for two nights witch me and my partner wanted to do. Friendly owners. And no you don't need to change the toilet brush witch this other person has said as well. Some people really have sad lives by making silly little comments on here about dog smell, tv's, bog brush. These are just silly sad people tbh. Over all I would come back with my dog an time.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Alison P, Owner at The Sherborne Lodge, responded to this review, 25 September 2013
Thank you very much for your response, I am happy when my guests are happy

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Reviewed 6 September 2013

Excellent location, really friendly owner who was able to make lots of suggestions on places to go and things to see. Lovely breakfast - so filling, no lunch necessary! 5 minutes away from the centre of town and the seafront. Room very clean. Parking a bit tight, but room for enough cars.

• Stayed September 2013
Kent, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 August 2013

I stayed here with my husband and 5 year old for two nights in August. We booked The Sherborne Lodge as there was little availability elsewhere and the place was reasonably priced. What also appealed was that the family room we had had a separate room for our daughter - privacy!! On arrival, the greeting from the owners is warm and helpful - they took our bags up for us and talked us through the amenities and local attractions. Throughout our stay they were friendly and helpful and dealt well with our requests.

In terms of the place itself, if you come looking for faults you will find them. The bedspreads, headboard, curtains and rattan furniture are all from another decade. The loo brush while clean...meh! Style aside, it was all pretty comfortable and equipped with tvs in both rooms, kettles, hairdryers and wifi. There was no iron and ironing board although they lent us one. The mattress and pillows were a little hard for my liking but then that's a personal preference.

I'm a relatively fussy vegetarian and at breakfast I had options and they dealt with me asking for things to be done a certain way well. Overall the breakfast was good although I did feel the fruit salad could look a bit more appetising.

In terms of overall facilities - there is a guest room with pool table and tv downstairs as well as a separate room where guests can eat takeaways. Another reviewer has commented on there being a smell and I would agree that there is a general smell of cooked food throughout the downstairs areas. I'm not sure that this could be helped. I do think though that the overfull ashtrays outside the entrance would be emptied more often - not a lovely sight!

The bottom line is always would you stay again. We would if we were in the area for a couple of nights. Overall, it's pleasant and comfortable with welcoming hosts which at the end of the day is really the most important thing.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 July 2013

Althrough these are friendly and helpful people...the breakfasts are lovely....
but please don't just stand around looking at us all the time to see if we are finished yet...slightly off putting sometimes.....the rooms are ok...small tvs....
But sadly the sink and shower could do with a brush around taps and over flow...which had dry green mould in it....so I cleaned it myself.
And for all of you that asked when you get clean towels.....we got them on the four night...even through they were wet throw and dirty on the shower tray floor on day one...One man helped himself....haveing said all this ...it could be a lovely place to go if deep cleaned and a bit more thought.

Room Tip: Ask about everything that matters to you....just check!
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 July 2013

Freindly helpful staff, good location only short walk to harbour, clean rooms and the one best breakfasts we've ever had! Only negative point is that the decor is old and needs updating but thats reflected in the price. Overall very pleasant stay.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Feltham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 July 2013

Spent 5 wonderful days here whilst on a touring, golfing trip to N. Devon.
Alison and Graham made me feel at home immediately, supplying all the info needed for golf courses, restaurants, things to do etc.
I was given a double on the first floor that was roomy and had loads of drawer/wardrobe space.
The 'wet room' was a tad small, but the shower was actually under the stairs to the next floor, so was very 'roomy'. Not a cramped plastic cubicle, as in most hotel rooms.
Also, there was plenty of hot water.
After a wonderful night's sleep, breakfast was a delight.
As well as the usual cereal, fruit juice, toast and tea/coffee, the full English was the fullest I've ever had.
An alternative to the 'fry-up' was smoked haddock and poached egg, which was also delicious.
An added bonus was the Guest Lounge; fully equipped with kitchenette, TV, dining table for take-away meals and computer with internet access.
There was Wi-Fi available in all the rooms as well.
With plenty of off-street parking, this was the ideal base for my touring, golfing trip.
I would recommend it whole-heartedly.
I shall be back.

Room Tip: Room 3 has a lovely big shower.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
Calne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 June 2013

My wife an myself have stayed here before and enjoyed the stay so have returned again, we were once again greeted with a warm and informative greeting and shown to our room which was even better than the one we had last time with a more modern en-suite, after an evening out in ilfracombe we returned to our bed and slept well. the following morning we breakfasted on a hearty offering of hot and cold food and drinks. The guest house is in easy walking distance of both town and sea front , but pick your route if you dont like steep hills

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple