“Welcoming with good food.”

Take Thyme Fish Restaurant
Ranked #12 of 118 Restaurants in Ilfracombe
Price range: US$5 - US$23
Cuisines: Seafood, British, Healthy
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Located not 50 yards from Ilfracombe Harbour, Take Thyme Restaurant provides fresh local fish, Exmoor steak and home-made dishes. We also have vegetarian and gluten free options.
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Welcoming with good food.”
Reviewed 4 July 2014

Good fresh well cooked food.
Tried to book for the next night but unfortunately they were fully booked.

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank ritaharwich

Ferndown, United Kingdom
“wonderful”
Reviewed 4 July 2014

Lovely warm welcome. Excellent service. Food was locally sourced and cooked to order. Main course I had sea bass with ginger and soy sauce - the taste was amazing and the vegetables were cooked to perfection. We had a thoroughly enjoyable evening.

Visited July 2014
1 Thank Paul G
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great Food, Close to the Sea - Happy Customer”
Reviewed 3 July 2014

What a great find whilst walking the Ilfracombe harbour. A very nice selection on the menu, the food was well presented, cooked beautifully and tasted superb. The service was very good and welcoming. Some nice background music with a couple of glasses of wine topped off our day in Ilfracombe very nicely - Would definitely return thank you

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank Lenny R
“Very disappointing ”
Reviewed 1 July 2014 via mobile

Went here on our first night in ilfracombe and was very disappointed. Being so close to the sea we expected lovely fresh fish at good prices with good service however this restaurant just didn't quite deliver. The crab cakes we both had for starters where nice and flavoured well although very small and at £6.50 not good value. I then had the fillet of sea bass which was so overly peppered I sat and scraped the top layer off ! And not once where we asked if our dinner was ok. Normally I would have sent this back but being our first night I didn't want to make a fuss. After explaining to the waitress that I didn't like my dinner and my boyfriend found his turbot very boney we felt very patronised when the waitress tried to explain that it was a fish and therefor they couldn't stop there being bones. My boyfriend is a very good cook and knows that when filleted well turbot should have minimal bones. As an apology the waitress topped up our half full glasses with wine and thought that was sufficient. Overall poor flavours small portions not great service and overpriced at £67 pounds for a meal that was of pub quality. Would not recommend.

1 Thank Naomi G
Teaboo, Owner at Take Thyme Fish Restaurant, responded to this review, 3 July 2014
Firstly We would like to apologise that you had an unsatisfactory
Meal with us when you came to dine with us at Take Thyme.
As a family run, independent , husband and wife team we take our customers experience very seriously.
It was a very busy night and and perhaps you were not asked soon enough whether you were happy with your meal for which we apologise.
As your meal was consumed before you had made your feelings known we didn’t’;t have the opportunity to replace your meal immediately.
All our customer feedback is acted upon when known.
I (the owner) spoke to you myself that evening and while I
mentioned that yes the fish cannot always be bone free we have
passed your feedback onto our supplier as our fish is filleted
by the fish mongers and not ourselves.
You mention our crab cakes which are indeed fresh and well
flavoured. The cost is due to the high quality of hand-picked
Deluxe Devon crab meat we purchase to hand-make the crab
Cakes with – unfortunately quality often comes with a price.
I offered you an extra glass of wine on the house after speaking
With you for which you thanked me and appeared to be happy with this offering,
As you continued to complete your meal with a sweet and stayed a little longer I assumed
The matter was resolved.
It's very unfortunate that you still left unhappy and didn’t have the good experience that so many of our Customers do.
“Great fresh fish!”
Reviewed 27 June 2014

Booked a meal here as our final holiday treat and we weren't disappointed. I made an initial booking query by internet and received a speedy response. The restaurant is well appointed on a corner plot and boasts large, clean windows (not always easy in a seaside resort!). The table linen is crisp and white. The menu choices are limited but a good mix of options and the greatest selling point is that all the fish is fresh and locally caught. Our starters comprised of Sardines; crab cakes; goujons and blue cheese/pear and walnut salad. All meeting the desires of the recipients! Main courses comprised of mussels; turbot; sole and steak. The vegetable accompaniments were also fresh and tasty. Appropriate wines and beers added to the meal! Followed by cheese and port for two and crumble for one, we were replete!! The staff/owners were helpful and polite, answering queries honestly and pleasantly. All in all, a very pleasant way to end our holiday and we only wish we lived closer and could visit sooner! If in Ilfracombe and partial to good quality, well cooked fish then this is the place for you!

• Visited June 2014