“A gem!”

Price range: US$5 - US$23
Cuisines: European, Irish, Seafood, Healthy
Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Located not 50 yards from Ilfracombe Harbour, Take Thyme Restaurant provides fresh local fish, Exmoor steak and home-made dishes. We also have vegetarian and gluten free options.
Alton, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A gem!”
Reviewed 4 August 2014

My wife and I had dinner at Take Thyme in the weekend just gone. I phoned in the morning to make a booking, but there was no reply. I didn't leave a message but was phoned back in the afternoon and was able to take the last available booking for the evening. It's a small place, tastefully decorated, with easy-listening jazz playing quietly in the background (Ella Fitzgerald, Peggy Lee, late period Louis Armstrong. I enjoyed some marvellous roast sardines and my wife had an orange, coriander and mint soup. We both had exquisite turbot as a main course, with new potatoes and salad. Then we shared a rhubarb and strawberry crumble (fabulous) and some cheese (which would have benefitted from being longer out of the fridge). Service was impeccable and the owner clearly relished the running of the restaurant. Highly recommended............

• Visited August 2014

“Fantastic food - Book & Go”
Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

From the moment you walk in you are welcome, this is the kind of place you could spend hours and hours in. We booked up a week beforehand as the reviews suggested, good job we did. The food was amazing, fish,veg cooked to perfection. It's really a no brainier, book in advance and enjoy, you won't be disappointed. Well done Take Thyme team, keep the waitress as long as you can she fits in just nicely. See you next year. (Magician)

Visited August 2014
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Good food and service with character ”
Reviewed 1 August 2014 via mobile

I visited with my wife while on holiday and I was impressed with the food. I had a juicy steak and my wife ordered muscles. While I was impressed with my order I could not keep my hands off of her food. I had no idea how good fresh seafood cooked well could taste. The owner and waitress were warm and their humour and charm made the intimate nature of the restaurant far more relaxing and helped set the mood. While we were served promptly on account of arriving at opening time I did notice those who arrived later in the evening had to wait a bit for their food as they do not have loads of staff. If we ever go back to the village we will definitely go back to this restaurant!

2 Thank Ichiban_Sensei
Derby, United Kingdom
“Happy Birthday”
Reviewed 31 July 2014

I booked a table at Take Thyme from home a few weeks before leaving for Ilfracombe based on Trip Advisor recommendations. It was a surprise for my partner's birthday. Glad I did. The staff are so friendly, helpful and knowledgeable. The food, beautifully cooked, was complimented by a delicious wine. With a perfect ambiance, it really was a happy birthday.

• Visited July 2014
2 Thank Geoff B
London, United Kingdom
“Great find in Ilfracombe!”
Reviewed 28 July 2014

I wanted to find somewhere a little special to go for the last night of my holiday and what a find this was! The staff were very helpful and friendly, service was great and food was fresh and delicious. I went with my 3 children - aged 20, 10 & 8 and we all felt very welcomed. My daughter is a coeliac and although I didn't call ahead, the owner and the chef were very accomodating to ensure that she had plenty of choice. Would definitely recommend as a place to visit if you are in the area and I certainly plan on returning the next time I'm in Devon.

• Visited July 2014