Ocean Backpackers
Carlton Hotel(Ilfracombe)
Marine Court Hotel(Ilfracombe)
Varley House(Ilfracombe)
View Hotel
All reviewstop floorself catering kitchengroup staybed dormsecure storagedrying roomcomfy sofaskitchen facilitiespubs and restaurantsgreat place to stayrooms are cleanlocation is excellentfree wifidevon coast to coastfamily roomwalking distancecouple of nights
Reviewed 13 February 2013

First time for me at Ocean Backpackers and I was suitably impressed. Two friends and I stayed for two nights whilst on a Surfing trip. We shared a room with 1 bunk and 1 Double bed. The room was clean, tidy, warm and was fully equipped with en-suite (bath, shower etc). There was suitable overnight parking close by and panic free storage for our Surf boards. The staff are friendly, knowledgable and keen to make you feel at home. I did. . . Perhaps too much. I was glad to see that they had a couple of guitars for anyone to play as I had neglected to bring mine, which led to a good old Jam and sing-song (over a beer or two) with the Staff. Cooking facilities are perfectly spacious and well equipped and there's plenty of space to chill on a sofa, read, hit the internet, play a game or two or just veg in front of the enormous T.V. I don't know why I'd waste money on a hotel when you'd miss out on this. Though this trip was three friends I would also be perfectly happy to return with the wife and kids as it's completely suited to family visits too. I think I'll be staying here again. Thanks for a great stay.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Pete Q
Reviewed 6 January 2013

Another stay at Ocean, 3rd time, and again value for money. Local walks for all to enjoy available on the doorstep. Clean very comfortable for us as our group was 6 familys. Rooms meet the requirments for kids baths and showers when required as most of the time were out and about. Good work started on updating the longe and outher down stair areas. Always made very welcome by the owners and WILL be returning again. If you want value for money and looking for a place to accomidate large groups this is it.
Local attractions around ilfracome worth a trip, walking or by car.

Room Tip: all rooms meet our needs
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 January 2013

Just got back from a trip to Ocean Backpackers. Great location in the middle of town, near shops harbour and skate park for the kids! You must see the new Damien Hurst sculpture - awesome!

Clean, comfortable, well equipped and the most friendly and accommodating owners you could wish for. We have been before and it is constantly being improved and updated, including a heated drying room for wetsuits and surfboard storage.
We will be back next year!! Highly recommended.

Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 January 2013

This is our third visit to the Ocean Backpackers over new year period, its a great place in a great location thoroughly recommend it. Plenty of hot water for showers, good cooking facilities and plenty of space to chill out.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank David_S186363
Reviewed 26 November 2012

I have been visiting the Ocean Backpackers every July for the last 10 years. The owners are extremely friendly and keen that your stay is as good as it possibly can be. I bring a group of young surfers with me each year and although the group size and make-up vary the OBP team can always make ammendments to rooms to fit our needs. With ample eating space and good food outlets nearby you are spoilt for choice with food options. The beautiful harbour and atmospheric headland walks are minutes from the OBP and surf spots just a short drive away. Superb value for money and a good place to meet new people if you are passing through. I certainly recommend a stay here and may see you if you're there in July!

Room Tip: Just let the team know what you are looking for.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business