“Gluten-free, veggies avoid!”
Review of 6 St. James Bistro - CLOSED

6 St. James Bistro
Cuisines: British
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Relaxed dinning, all cooked fresh to order
Reviewed 7 September 2013

Both me and my partner ate here.
I have dietary needs and read reviews in advance that this place catered for both veggie and people with gluten intolerance so was excited to try their food. Disappointment swiftly followed.
Turned away by a grumpy woman on our first attempt we returned for a second try the following evening and were seated.
I was praying for gluten free pasta but no luck, I know steak is gluten free, I know cod is gluten free I was told by the waiter but I'm also a veggie...
My partner who loves meat/fish/anything is basically a dustbin for good food really had nothing good to say about this place either, after an hour and 15 minute wait for food (get more staff in the kitchen maybe?) arrived his deep fried prawns/cod chips and salad and all he could say was the batter was really fatty and tasted of nothing. He didn't clear his plate which is a rarity all he kept saying is when can we get the bill?
I had garlic mushrooms, chips and salad which was ok but really nothing to write home about, I ate because hungry, not because the food was good.
We were never offered the dessert menu or coffee at the end of our main meal, the chef came out who seem friendly but it clearly appeared the owners wanted to go home.
They display that they serve food till 9pm but from my experience if you're not there by 8pm you'll be turned away.
Only good thing about the restaurant is it's cheap...
Would not visit here if back in Ilfracombe again.

kiplingex34, Owner at 6 St. James Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded 10 September 2013

Dear Madam
We take great care when catering for Celica’s, having separate boards, knives, bowls & fryers in order to reduce the chance of any cross contamination, we make all our food fresh to order from fresh local ingredients this can sometimes take time.
We can make most of our menu gluten free even the battered cod. We only have 6 vegetarian dishes on our small menu but unfortunately two of these are pasta so left you with your dietary restrictions a limited choice. We get many Celica’s in our bistro that return time & time again.
We have a small kitchen with limited space for storing the ingredients that come in fresh daily and the space for one chef who can cater for up to 50 covers per night which is often achieved by 8pm so we do not except customers after that.
I apologies if you did not enjoy your meal with us and am glad you enjoyed your omelette at another restaurant I’m sure that came out very quickly.
Regards

Reviewed 30 August 2013

After experiencing some disappointing meals in Ilfracoombe we were pleasantly surprised when eating at this delightful bistro.The staff were extremely friendly and the bistro light, airy and clean. The seafood chowder that i chose was delicious. There was 4 of us and each one had a different dish, everyone commented on how delicious the food was. The food was freshly cooked even the chips which made a great change from the all too often deep fried frozen generic chips that are served up in other restaurants.
We ate here in the evening and the portions were extremely generous.
Would definitely come here again when we visit Ilfracoombe.

Reviewed 28 August 2013

This Bistro is found close to the Harbour in the centre of Ilfracombe. It is a very popular place with very pleasant tables outside and nice décor inside.
I was able to secure a table outside and watch as a stream of people were having to be turned away from the place as it was fully booked that evening. (If you wish to eat here in the evening, to be sure of a place, you must book) After saying that, the food and service was second to none, I had Prawns to start and Surf & Turf to follow, all cooked just as I requested. It is a little pricey with my Surf & Turf costing £20.00 but it was worth it.

Reviewed 26 August 2013

We were visiting Ilfracombe with some friends and were recommended No 6 and what a good tip. All our party had different dishes and all enjoyed them, plentiful and lovely. I can thoroughly recommend the Seafood Chowder for starter, almost as good as Maine, and the Cod was so huge it 'nearly' beat me. The fish was deliciously meaty and the batter light and crispy. Perfect.

To top it all, a lovely ale on tap, although the wine selection was also pretty good.

By all accounts there are lots of good restaurants in Ilfracombe, but No 6 certainly deserves consideration.

Reviewed 23 August 2013

If you're hoping for some scrumptious English breakfast then definitely check this place out while you're visiting Ilfracombe. It's a 2 minute walk from the harbour which makes it ideal for breakfast, lunch, dinner, whatever!