“'Ghostly' Experience!”
Review of Chambercombe Manor

Chambercombe Manor
Ranked #10 of 40 things to do in Ilfracombe
Reviewed 24 June 2014

Recently visited Chambercombe Manor whilst on holiday in Ilfracombe. Very interesting guided tour. I was in the dressing room listening to the Guide when I kept having to turn round as I thought there was a draught coming from an open window behind me, the window was completely shut. When the party moved to the next room the 'chilly' feeling went completely. We finished the tour in the Great Hall and as photos were allowed and being very interested in antique furniture I had taken a photo of the oak display cabinet and one of the Winscot chairs by the fireplace. We had time after the tour to wander round the garden and have refreshments in the café. When we returned to our Hotel, I was checking the photographs on my camera and on the photo of the Great Hall at the side of the chair by the fireplace, was an image of an old bearded man. I had purchased the book about the history of the Manor before we left and evidently there has been a ghostly experience of a bearded man thought to be a quaker in the Great Hall! Would love to return to Chambercombe Manor for another visit if ever in the area.

1  Thank janus274

Reviewed 16 June 2014

Been to Chambercombe Manor on two or three occasions. It was featured on Most Haunted on Living TV some years ago. Really interesting and plenty of historical value. The little cafe outside of the manor is really lovely and has quite a varied menu for a small place.

1  Thank linds190819
Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

This was my third visit to Chambercombe Manor and my third guided tour. Once again the tour was excellent and considering its not the biggest place in the world, I've learned something new on each visit. The tour guide was enthusiastic and knowledgeable. You are allowed, even encouraged to take photos. It's a delightful example of a rural manor house with some really interesting exhibits. The ghost stories just add to the atmosphere.
Outside the tearoom is immaculately clean and the food is good. Staff throughout the building are helpful and friendly. Will I be going back? Definitely!

1  Thank GarryJW
Reviewed 8 June 2014

Reputidly, one of the most haunted houses in Britain, it was one of the best places we visited. The known history of the Manor is fascinating, and there is no restriction on taking photos.

Reviewed 4 June 2014

We stayed for 3 nights at Rose Cottage on the Chambercombe Manor estate. The estate itself is beautiful, lovely manor house in wonderful gardens and the whole setting is very picturesque. The café looked very nice, with a good selection of food, however the opening hours were so short that it was never open when we were on the estate, so unfortunately we did not get to try a cream tea which I understand are meant to be very good!

The cottage we stayed in was reasonably well equipped, and a travel cot and highchair were provided for our daughter which we appreciated. Unfortunately, the accommodation was missing some important items, notably towels, and hand soap in the bathroom and kitchen. I should make clear that Chambercombe Manor do mention on their website that they do not provide towels, however we have stayed in many self catering cottages and have never come across this before, so it never occurred to us to check! In addition, the heater in the lounge did not work, and had been broken for so long that it was actually mentioned in the information folder in the cottage! A replacement portable heater was provided, but was not very efficient.

Considering the character and charm of the outside of the Manor House and cottages, we were disappointed to find that the interior of the cottage had no character whatsoever.

Rose Cottage supposedly sleeps up to 5 people, with 3 in the bedroom upstairs and 2 on a sofabed downstairs. Considering there is a very small kitchen and only one bathroom, I would think that no more than 3 adults, or 2 adults and 2 small children could stay there comfortably.

However, we were very happy with the cost of the accommodation especially as it was over a May bank holiday, and thought that the estate in general was very child friendly.

1  Thank Joanna C