“Delicious gluten free cream tea”

Hele Corn Mill and Tea Room
Ranked #1 of 1 Bakeries in Ilfracombe
Price range: US$5 - US$8
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating
Description: SEASONAL ONLY: Please see website. April, May, June: Friday, Saturday, Sunday, BH Mondays and Whitweek. JULY AND AUGUST: EVERYDAY EXCEPT SATURDAY. SEPTEMBER - 26 OCTOBER: Friday, Saturday, Sunday. Opens 11am, last orders at 5pm. Winner of the Devon Life "Best Tearoom in Devon Award" 2013 and 2014. 16th century working watermill about half a mile east of Ilfracombe town centre in Hele (Combe Martin Road, A399). Parking in Hele Public Carpark in Beach Road (by Hele Bay Pub). We are a family business, milling to produce flour for our mill-made cakes and for sale in the tearoom. We serve Devon Cream Teas including Devonshire Splits and Thunder and Lightning, and a wide variety of cakes made on the premises, many made from our flour. Our savoury items are locally made pasties and savoury cream teas. At least one GF cake aways available and we will make GF scones if preordered or not too busy. We do not sell cooked lunches or evening meals. Takeaway cream teas and cake available. We endeavour to entertain our guests with puzzles and quizzes. DOGS WELCOME in tearoom and garden, although not around the Mill itself. See our website for details or give us a ring. We look forward to welcoming you to Hele Corn Mill.
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Delicious gluten free cream tea”
Reviewed 22 June 2014

We'd seen a leaflet that said the tearoom had fantastic cream teas and that gluten free options were available so headed there in my coeliac quest for a gluten free cream tea. When we enquired they didn't have any gluten free scones available but were told if we were happy to wait for 20 minutes they would bake some for me! To keep us occupied we were offered some puzzles to attempt and 20 minutes later I had a delicious gluten free cream tea and my husband also highly rates the regular cream tea. Great food and fantastic service.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank Amanda I

Combe Martin, United Kingdom
“Cakes and scones are a must”
Reviewed 8 June 2014

The cakes and scones are just out of this world we have visited several times and not been disappointed some of the cakes on sale are made with the flour milled at the mill the owners could not be more friendly its just like being invited into their own home not done the mill tour but i will when i next return but not till i have had some more cake if your on your hols give it a try you will be amazed.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank paul b
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
“Lovely service and scones but a little bit small...”
Reviewed 8 June 2014 via mobile

After having read that his tea room had earned the title of best scones 2013, I was very excited. It wasn't so easy to get to and involved a lot of up and downhill driving. I have to say that the scones were delicious! If you visit, I would definitely recommend and Devonshire Split! The staff were really friendly, but it didn't quite make up for the atmosphere. The tea room essentially looked like a converted front room and there didn't appear to have been much thought involved in the interior design. When we arrived we were the only ones, which was a little awkward but a family soon arrived causing quite a lot of noise, which was echoed by the small space.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank TravellerMaria2013
Helemill, Owner at Hele Corn Mill and Tea Room, responded to this review, 12 June 2014
Dear Maria I am glad you liked the scones and the Millers wife will be particularly happy that the Devonshire split found favour as well. With regard to the decor it is true that our tearoom come shop is not as boutique as some might like but I'm sure we will get there some day. With regard to atmosphere that will always be a tricky one if you are the only visitors there. If it rains there is a queue out of the door. If it's the first sunny day for a while everyone is on the beach. And if I am there I will do my darndest to entertain ;-) pot luck I'm afraid…
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Scrumptious Cream Tea!”
Reviewed 29 May 2014 via mobile

A very friendly welcome awaits those who visit Hele Corn Mill and Tea Room. On offer is the traditional cream tea as well as a huge range of freshly made delicious cakes.

Today, I had a savoury cream tea which consisted of cheese scones, cream cheese and onion marmalade. The service was quick and efficient with a smile and the lovely part of the experience is that you didn't feel rushed and nothing was too much trouble. Would highly recommend a visit.

Visited May 2014
2 Thank Sophie R
London, United Kingdom
“Lovely Tea Room”
Reviewed 29 May 2014

As most of the other reviews already state this is a really lovely tea room. Don’t be put off by the turn into the drive (some run down flats) this is a hidden gem. The owners were lovely and chatty and even played some games with us at the table. We had some delicious Cornish pasties and you can really taste the freshness in the cakes. Best light lunch and cakes we had in Devon!

• Visited May 2014