“Fantastic customer service!”

Ranked #1 of 1 Bakeries in Ilfracombe
Price range: US$5 - US$8
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating
Description: SEASONAL ONLY: Please see website. April, May, June: Friday, Saturday, Sunday, BH Mondays and Whitweek. JULY AND AUGUST: EVERYDAY EXCEPT SATURDAY. SEPTEMBER - 26 OCTOBER: Friday, Saturday, Sunday. Opens 11am, last orders at 5pm. Winner of the Devon Life "Best Tearoom in Devon Award" 2013 and 2014. 16th century working watermill about half a mile east of Ilfracombe town centre in Hele (Combe Martin Road, A399). Parking in Hele Public Carpark in Beach Road (by Hele Bay Pub). We are a family business, milling to produce flour for our mill-made cakes and for sale in the tearoom. We serve Devon Cream Teas including Devonshire Splits and Thunder and Lightning, and a wide variety of cakes made on the premises, many made from our flour. Our savoury items are locally made pasties and savoury cream teas. At least one GF cake aways available and we will make GF scones if preordered or not too busy. We do not sell cooked lunches or evening meals. Takeaway cream teas and cake available. We endeavour to entertain our guests with puzzles and quizzes. DOGS WELCOME in tearoom and garden, although not around the Mill itself. See our website for details or give us a ring. We look forward to welcoming you to Hele Corn Mill.
Reviewed 29 August 2014

I visited the Hele Corn Mill and Tea Room with my Nan today, we had a lovely time! The customer service was excellent, the owners and staff were very friendly. There was a large selection of homemade cakes, the chocolate one was delicious! We had a look around the mill and to get us started the owner took the time to come over and tell us the history of the mill.

I recommend a visit here, even if it's just to sample the cakes and hospitality!

1  Thank rebeccapotter78

Reviewed 27 August 2014

We stopped here for a cream tea following the reviews and we're so glad we did! Huge scones - fruit or plain; great for sultana-haters - which were crisp on the top and soft inside. Generous amounts of clotted cream and strawberry jam. My son opted for the chocolate cake which was apparently "best ever". Lovely crockery and huge pot of tea.

We couldn't manage two of our scones and asked for a doggy bag, and the lovely lady packed them up along with a pot of cream and jam too. Unusual handmade things for sale in the tea room.

We went around the mill which was so dull I'm not sure even the most hardy enthusiast would find it interesting! Anyway it all went to a good cause to restore it so never mind.

Having seen someone else's comments about the parking I agree this a bit short-sighted. The advised parking is up the street and over the road. As it always seems to be raining in Devon I have to confess we ignored the signs and parked in the "resident's" spots - quite a few were vacant - as I thought they would rather have our custom than not.

You can be the judge when you visit - and I do recommend a visit!

1  Thank BrightonKira
Reviewed 23 August 2014 via mobile

Visited the mill with family and dog. Very friendly staff and beautiful surroundings. Between us we sampled a few different cakes which were all lovely. Brought out water and treats for our dog too. A great place to stop off for refreshments.

1  Thank Rachel J
Reviewed 22 August 2014 via mobile

Visited here for a mid morning treat with my husband and 2 year old daughter. First thing was no parking near the tea rooms, which was annoying as it was raining. Secondly as a very small tea room it was almost full, the staff did seat us on a small sofa but we were cramped next to a table of 8 people who arrived 10 mins after us ( they had booked). The man at the counter tried to tell me what they sold, but if he had just moved to the side I could have read the menu which was on the chalk board he was stood in front of. Me and my husband had a fruit scone with clotted cream and jam and it was nice but the scone didn't have much fruit in it and was a little dry on the outside. My daughter had a chocolate cake which she barely touched which is not like her at all. The main disappointment was the service, the afore mentioned table of 8 who arrived 10 mins after us were given their tea and scones before us which is bad service, we where then told this is because they were waiting for our teacake to cook??? Well we didn't even know they sold teacakes, let alone order one and then when we pointed this out they actually brought us our order. So 20 min wait for 2 scones, a slice of cake and a cup of tea.......quite poor in my eyes. Also the cost of the scones where fairly high.

Helemill, Owner at Hele Corn Mill and Tea Room, responded to this reviewResponded 18 September 2014

Dear Emma 2711
apologies for the delay in responding to your review. I remember your visit well. It is true your order did not go well. Firstly may I apologise as we did at the time for the poor experience you encountered. We were packed and as I had been rung by the group of 8 every five minutes as they approached I did allocate the table in question, although in general we do not reserve tables and you were very helpful in agreeing to use our Sofa. The problem with your order was that I had written your drinks as T Coke and in the pressure of the kitchen and my annotation this was misinterpreted as Tea Cake thus extending your order beyond the 8 people seated. As for the quality of the rest of our cakes and scones I am sorry that they were not to you and your daughters taste. The cost of a double cream Tea this year is £4.95 for two scones freshly made on the premises, cream and strawberry jam plus a pot of tea which we will top up with hot water as often as the tea bag will stand. I hope the rest of your holiday was by far a better experience
regards the Miller

Reviewed 20 August 2014

Small but lovely tea room, staff very friendly, we were given puzzles to do while waiting for our order. The cakes and cream tea's are amazing.