“Fantastic addition to Ilfracombe”

The Pier Brewery Tap & Grill
Ranked #26 of 122 Restaurants in Ilfracombe
Price range: US$7 - US$35
Cuisines: British, Gastropub, Brew Pub
Good for: Local cuisine, View
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: The Pier is a Brewery Tap and Grill serving great real ale from The Wizard Brewing Company and a wide selection of locally sourced gourmet burgers, steaks and seafood, as well as daily specials. Our family friendly pub is situated right on the harbour in Ilfracombe, and boasts a large seafront beer garden with spectacular views of the ocean and North Devon coastline. We're ideal for a romantic dinner for two but luckily can also cater for big groups, functions and this year have even done a wedding reception
Reviewed 5 June 2014

We visited The Pier Tap & Brewery last night for a meal with friends. I've always thought this is the best location for a pub - right on the pretty harbour at the front & then a 'crows nest' terrace at the back with dramatic open sea views. Its never been that appealing - until now!

The new owners have opened up the rooms, painted it white, put in cosy log burners lots of books, bold contemporary art & created a warm, welcoming stylish place with French doors opening on harbour view outside tables.

The emphasis here is on local produce - meat, cheese, fish etc, all from local suppliers. The menu is simple, but interesting. Burgers are the thing, and we had the Harbour Hottie & Shaloomi. They took a bit of time to come, but I'm not complaining - it meant they were cooked well & everything is fresh (surely its much more alarming if it arrives very quickly). Presentation was good - burgers are served on slate platters. They are also huge, oozing with very good quality, tasty local meat. Crispy homemade chips & a delicious tomato, red onion & herb salad complemented the meal. Yes, they are pricier than other burgers - but that's because these are nothing like other burgers. They're a gourmet version using very high quality ingredients. The veggie burger was delicious too - meaty mushrooms & grilled halloumi cheese.

In the interest of research we ordered two sides (completely unnecessary as the burger was more than enough). The homemade scotch egg with chorizio was a triumph, as was the macaroni cheese.

Pudding sounded wonderful - clotted cream rice pudding, homemade lemon drizzle cake & a freshly made crumble - but we were way too full & settled for coffee instead.

The owners have further plans for the pub, they've only been open for a couple of weeks so its early days. There's lots of space at the back where they intend to have a small farm shop. On sunny Sundays there will be a hog roast & live music in the large courtyard garden. Can't wait to return.

Reviewed 4 June 2014

We were recently on holiday in Ilfracombe and after walking round the town decided to try 'The Pier' for lunch. After reading previous reviews we were aware that it was a new business but on the whole the reviews were positive. We walked past just after 12.30, it didn't look open and the two waitresses were outside smoking, I asked if they were open and they were. There wasn't anyone else in there, only other staff who were having a meeting. No one seemed very interested in our custom, indeed most of the staff looked tired and hungover. We decided to stay as the menu seemed good. We ordered a blue cheese and bacon burger and a cheese burger. The food took quite sometime to come. They were served on slate tiles, my husband said the blue cheese and bacon burger was tasty. Mine was nothing special and was cold, the homemade chips were ok. If paying £11-£14 for a burger, I expect it to be something special. The actual restaurant was a nice place to sit but the customer service left something to be desired.

2  Thank Dreamer3007
Reviewed 30 May 2014

Nicely done up. It used to be crap. New owners new start.

Lovely area overlooking the sea and great locally produced beers

Reviewed 29 May 2014

On visiting the newly refurbished Pier Tavern Ilfracombe for an early evening beverage my wife asked for a Baileys Irish Cream and I had a local real ale we we charged £8.60 £3.15 for the ale and an amazing price of £5.45 for the Baileys.I questioned the cost twice at the bar and was assured that the price was correct we drank up and went not stoping for another.
I since have phoned the Pier Tavern and was met by a none sincere apology and a could not care attitude and asking the price once more was given the answer about £3.50. We are locals On that note we did not feel a welcoming feeling so will not be returning. R&R Ilfracombe.

1  Thank Ron H
Dan E, Owner at The Pier Brewery Tap & Grill, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2014

Hi, I am very sorry to hear you were over charged for a baileys. It should have been 3.00 for the Baileys and 3.30 for the beer. If you do decide to come back, please introduce yourself at the bar and we'll gladly give you one on the house. Sorry again, Louis

Reviewed 26 May 2014

I arrived later ilfracombe and walked past restaurant after restaurant with the closed sign showing. When I asked the waiter he said they were all sold out but would check with his brother, they then proceeded to give me one of the best burgers I have had and it was past nine with amazing home made chips it made the five hour journey worthwhile. I own a pub and this is somewhere I will come again and let people know about. Thank you, you made my evening so much better!!!!

1  Thank N p