“Round table sporting weekend”

The Great British Tea Shop
Ranked #3 of 4 Dessert in Ilfracombe
Cuisines: British
Reviewed 23 September 2013

After a heavy night on the beer, the members of North Walsham round table, in Ilfracombe for NSW 2013' acted civilised for an hour and dropped in for a cup of tea and slice of cake.......excellent service, friendly staff and lovely cakes. Highly recommended..........

Reviewed 2 September 2013 via mobile

I visited this tea shop on Friday and it was fantastic! After a fishing trip we were desperate for our first Cream Tea and this was the first shop we found that was actually open at 5pm! The tea was fantastic and the home made scones were delicious! It's interior & exterior is finished to a high standard and the tea pots, cups and cutlery really add to the British theme carried throughout. Good value for money, polite staff - great atmosphere!

Reviewed 1 September 2013

We popped in as it looked really quaint from the outside, lovely selection of cakes, but couldn't resist the cream tea, plus served on lovely china. Hubby also had a tuna panini, which was very tasty. The lady serving took my daughter up to select what she would like and to show her which cold drinks were available she had the dry north devon humour (which maybe some people in earlier reviews don't get) and threw in the correct way to eat our scones with clotted cream (jam on last)... prefer mine on first, sorry ;-D
Would definitely recommend scrumptious x

1  Thank dippydoraDevon
Reviewed 31 August 2013

Having been to this tea shop before on a few occasions, we thought we'd return as our experience was generally positive. Sadly, this time, the service let the quality of the food down. I have to agree with other reviewers, who have found certain serving staff taciturn and dour. We weren't made to feel welcome. In fact, as the shop was quite busy and we had to move a seat from another table, our reception was pretty frosty. I don't get the impression that children are particularly welcome here either.

My advice is this. If you think you can run a business by making your customers feel unwelcome, more power to your elbow. Your food is excellent, and the quality of the tea alone puts you head and shoulders above most other similar local establishments. But, why not do a little bit extra to chat and make your customers feel like they at least count? A smile costs nothing, whereas I put money into your pocket.

Sad to say I don't think I'll be going here again.

1  Thank Alun75
Reviewed 27 August 2013

We stumbled on this little place whilst spending the day in Ilfracombe on our Devon holiday. You know how difficult it is to get great tea with Devon water... they achieved it! It was right up there with the best cuppas I have tasted, even up with Yorkshire tea, now thats an achievement! And then the pasty was gorgeous, real meat, real veg, really well cooked. Grandaughter had beans on toast, she is so picky and hardly eats half her meals... she scoffed down that doorstep toast and the millions of beans like she had not eaten for a week... then came the crunch point, Her favourite Victorian sponge was sitting there so well presented, it came over delivered by a very pleasant dark haired lady, who engaged wonderfully with my grandaughter and us. Fork goes into the sponge... up to the mouth.... and .. wait for it.. wait for it.... no smile? hmmm does it fail the 10 year old testers expectations? No, she is just so taken with it she is enjoying every moment, "Nanny its so light" she says... "Nanny you know you tell me to always tell the truth, well I am sorry to say, its even nicer than yours " Well thats praise indeed. And then having been so impressed with the friendliness, the cleanliness and the fantastic food and drink, we revisited 2 days later... but the sponge had lemon inside not jam... arghhh... sacrilege!! The little one does not like lemon and she made her complaint known to the staff, the owner came out and explained why they had run out of the original and promised if we went back the next day, she would ensure the sponge was there for the grandaughter. But the chocolate cake she had that day satisfied her cake craving. Hubby and I had to sample the cream tea.. its the law when in Devon, I am sure its written in the Magna Carta!! Best place on earth for cream teas.... The Great British Tea Shop... without a doubt.. We didn't get back there the next day, but the owner even shared her recipe secret with me... what more can a girl ask for.... If we get back to Ilfracombe, it will be to visit this lovely place.

1  Thank suzanne r