“Good value for money pub & restaurant.”
Review of The Fo'c's'le Inn

The Fo'c's'le Inn
Ranked #86 of 122 Restaurants in Ilfracombe
Cuisines: British
Description: Seaside Freehouse pub with great views,we say good proper food,great beer and friendly staff full of useless information.
Reviewed 9 June 2014

Staying in the area, we fancied an evening meal & as SWMBO had spotted this pub whilst driving through Combe Martin, we decided to stop there.

As it was early, we were the only people in the restaurant so got the best seats by the panoramic windows overlooking the bay. Reminded us of one of our favourite location in the Greek islands. The outside terrace was certainly very busy with, we assumed, locals have a drink on a Friday evening.

We were offered standard menus for the restaurant but both decided to select from the 'specials' chalkboard. SWMBO decided on the pork shank & I opted for the mussels, with a garlic mushroom starter that we shared. Glad we did as the portions were generous and the food was fresh, well presented & very hot. My wife barely managed to eat all her meal, given the quantity on her plate. Nice to see unusual vegetables like red cabbage, but a good accompaniment to pork.

We were a bit bemused that there was no waited service & we had to go to the bar to place orders for food & drink, and to pay. Is there a staff shortage?

However, that did not detract from our evening, as the local ale was superb.

As has been previously stated by another reviewer, the decor is certainly 'traditional' pub, with patterned carpet, heavy furniture & plain walls, but it was clean & tidy. Maybe a refit would change its character as long as the prices did not change!

A little note for the chef. My HUGE plate of freshly cooked mussels were superb. Maybe a bit more herb seasoning? Why not offer it with chips (frites), then you've got 'Moules Frites' on the menu? And you could then offer the cooking variants marineire or provencale, not difficult but very good dishes. I was staggered by the quantity in the basketful of excellent chips I asked for to accompany those poor lonely moules & I struggled to finish the lot.

Good food & beer, keenly priced, well presented by attentive staff in a tidy atmosphere, not pretentious but clean & honest Thanks. We'll be back in the Autumn, when we're in the area again. We can recommend this restaurant.

Reviewed 11 September 2013

The Fo’c’s’le Inn is in a lovely position overlooking Combe Martin harbour. It’s an hotel, restaurant and bar. Apparently, it’s been owned by the same family since 1990 — 23 years — and it shows! Inside is very tired and dated. Husband and I recently popped in there for lunch, so I can only speak of the restaurant area. The heavily-patterned maroon carpet; the maroon under-cloths topped with white table clothes at an angle; the chairs with squashed seat cushions; the decorations — all tell you that this place is desperately in need of a make-over. I picked up the condiments from the hard mat in the middle of the table and found stains and rings from previous condiments. It seriously needed a good wipe! The menu was standard fare — sandwiches, etc., — and our sarnies were fine, but the whole experience could have been so much nicer if the place was not like the dining room of an old peoples’ home! I guess the owners would say that their customers like it like that (not that many customers were visible when we were there). That may be so, but husband and I are both pensioners and it’s far too drab and old-fashioned for us, so I can’t see The Fo’c’s’le attracting many new devotees. Shame, ’cos it’s in such a good position.