“Rip off”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Dorset
“Rip off”
Reviewed 16 August 2012

My mother, myself and son visited the Manor as a result of local advertising - my mother lives in Ilfracombe. On arrival for lunch we were advised the chef had left!! However the staff were polite and offered us sandwiches which we agreed. Here comes the rub. 2 rounds of sandwiches £10 each. We were not offered any choice at all. They presumed we liked mustard with our ham - which we didn't so only able to eat the cheese. They took half an hour to prepare them.
I had gone to admire the many chickens and other poultry so was not aaround when Mum paid the bill.
Was appalled when told it was £36!!!!!!!!!!! The setting was great but to pay that much for sandwiches, So my mother will certainly not be repeating the experience and I wont be recommending the Manor to my friends. Carol, Dorset

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
13 Thank Carol T
QualityControlNDevon, Owner at Trimstone Manor Country House Hotel, responded to this review, 21 August 2012
Dear Carol, Dorset

So sorry that you were not happy. A plated round of sandwiches, tortilla chips, side salad, etc is £8.50 as noted on the bar Snacks' menu, so that is £17 for two rounds, so I assume the full bill of £36 to which you refer includes drinks? Your figures just don't add-up else? Our full luncheon menu is available for parties of 8 or more, pre-booked or else casual callers are welcome to the Bar snacks' menu. Even then, three courses of our pre-booked lunch are only £17.95. Do always check how much you want to pay for what you want in future so there is no surprise afterwards but certainly all our prices are displayed openly.

Our head chef has not left, contrary to your comment; perhaps not there at the time you called (?) but that is rather different.

I am sorry that you were dissatisfied though may I suggest something somewhere was lost in translation as why would we offer you sandwiches you don't like.... it doesn't make sense.

May i suggest pre-booking something more substantial next time and we should be pleased to accommodate your needs. That said, I apologise if any member of staff was anything but courteous and facilitating as other staff can provide the bar Snacks' menu without problem.

Yours sincerely

Philip J Milton - Owner

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 August 2012

We stayed in one of the self-catering cottages from 7th - 14th July 2012 and we were so disappointed in it that is is hard to know where to start. We had booked a cottage for 3 and weren't expecting a mansion, but we were expecting there to be enough room to relax. We went into a tiny kitchen which had a double seater and single seater chair of the kind found in an old peoples home, very small, upright and basic. These were up in a corner by the door and faced a TV screen on the wall. Apart from this there was a small fold-up table and four fold-up chairs. My son had gone to look at the bedrooms and called out to us that he didn't fancy sleeping in the single room. On inspecting it, we found that the carpet looked as if it hadn't been cleaned all season and had hair and lumps of black fluff all over it as well as stains. There were also very old cobwebs on the beams at the top of the stairs. On the furniture there was a thin layer of sand, which was very odd, considering that we were quite a way from the sea and sand. My husband went to reception and a girl told us that if we wanted to change, we could have another larger cottage which wasn't in use that week. She showed us the cottage and it was a lot larger (being meant for 6) and looked attractive, with a quite large en-suite double bedroom downstairs, and a kitchen/sitting room and two bedrooms upstairs. We thanked the lady for letting us change.

However, after she had left us, we realised that this cottage was also very neglected and dirty too, with cobwebs in the corners of the rooms and windows, mould in the wardrobes and showers, thick dust on the skirting boards and window sills, a fridge that needed to be defrosted and with a broken-off door to the ice-box compartment and a nasty strong smell in the hallway of damp and mould. The fact that both my son and I suffer from asthma and I have bad arthritis, was a worry with all this damp and mould. In the bathroom the hand basin had a thick piece of cardboard wedged between the large gap between the stand and basin. The tiles had cracks and looked very unhealthy and on the toilet was a large tin of paint and a big screwdriver on the top of it. However, we decided to stay as it had all been paid for. We found that in the mornings between 8.30 and 9am it was impossible to get any cold water out of the taps as it had run dry.

One of the reasons we had chosen Trimstone was that it said on their website that there was an indoor swimming pool and hot tub. We went to the swimming pool but couldn't find a hot tub. On asking about it at reception, we were told that it had been broken for about six months and that it wasn't going to be replaced as it was beyond economical repair. I told the boy who informed us of this, that I was very disappointed as that was one of the main reasons for choosing the place. I also told him about the dirty rooms. He looked surprised and just said that he was sorry about that and didn't offer to get anyone to clean it for us.

Going back to the swimming pool, although the pool was kept clean and was a good warm temperature, the surrounding area was quite dirty with sweet wrappers on the floor which stayed there for most of the week. The changing rooms were also never cleaned properly until the last day of our holiday. On the first day I went in there, there was a tissue with blood on it on the floor. I assumed that someone had dropped it there and that it would be cleaned up later, but in fact it stayed there until the day before we went home. There were also no lockers to leave your clothes in while you were in the pool so they had to be taken in with you and left by the side of the pool where you could keep an eye on them.

There was a games room which we looked in but then went out of again, due to it being so dirty and dusty. The pool table was covered in dirt and fluff and the net on the table tennis table was broken and hanging off.

It has taken me quite a while to write this since coming home as I came home feeling worse than when I went away, with a cold, bad chest and in a lot of arthritic pain.

In conclusion, I would not recommend staying in one of these cottages.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
28 Thank Sue H
QualityControlNDevon, Owner at Trimstone Manor Country House Hotel, responded to this review, 14 August 2012
Dear Sue H

Sorry to read your review, especially as we tried our hardest to appease you.

You don't mention at all that it was you yourselves who chose to book our smallest self-catering unit at the cheapest price and then after complaining that it was too small for the two of you and your grown-up son that without any increase in the cost (it would have been about double) at all we offered you the much larger 'Mill Cottage' which happened to be available. It had been only once-over cleaned since the last vacation and we were in the throes of a few touch-up jobs (as you have evidenced) but we let-you-in quickly to satisfy you (with hindsight we should have cleaned-up afterwards first and removed the paint brushes, etc) as when we popped-in to do it after you went-out (you suggest we didn't do anything in that regard) , you had already spread yourselves so thoroughly across all the property despite there only being the three of you so that we couldn't really do much at all! However, I see you took some photographs of the property before we had had a chance to finish making it properly ready whilst being maintained - that's rather unfair.

Despite your disappointment and meagre score allocated, you did decide to stay all week. Paddock Apartment about which you write comfortably accommodates three in a double and large single bedroom and has passed a 'Visit Britain' inspection for three years on that basis, at Three Stars, including the furniture, new kitchen and equipment and new flat screen TV.

If I recall correctly the weather for your week was very pleasant. In fact, as the second cottage was unoccupied we were doing some repainting and you have noted the painter's brushes as he had been in the throes of his job touching-up odd scuffs, etc (he had not expected the cottage to be occupied which is why he had left the items there whilst elsewhere).

The cold water to the Cottage is fed by a pressurised system, from our own supply. It is the same cold water throughout the whole property.

You have said that you selected us because of the Hot Tub. With respect but the Jacuzzi (never advertised by us as a 'hot tub') was closed well over a year ago and has not been on our website for all that time so your comment is incorrect as you booked much more recently. It was not 'broken' but unfortunately because of new rules on communal jacuzzis and regulations on their way, after maintenance updates we had to make the decision that we could not continue offering one.

In the meantime we have opened our gym and refurbished the sauna as part of our ongoing improvements, all with no increases to tariff.

I am sorry that you did not enjoy your accommodation though am pleased that despite what you say you seemed to have had a very active week in the glorious North Devon area.

In future, I do encourage you to discuss with the owners of any holiday accommodation so that between you, you agree on the space you need and other facilities so that your needs will be better met and there is less room for disappointment and a mismatch over your expectations.

I am sorry that between us we failed to meet your expectations and that we had disappointed guests. We wanted neither and do not set-out to achieve either outcome. We shall continue improving what we do and what we offer as well as endeavoring to ensure that guests come with expectations which meet what we have and for the fair prices which reflect them.

Yours sincerely

Philip J Milton - Owner

Travellers are raving about these Ilfracombe hotels

Dartmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 July 2012

I prefer not to make any comments other than it would be better if the owner ran the hotel himself rather than relying on his staff - The rooms were adequate but the views from some of them non existent - I had a dog room which I must say was a lot better than most hotels I had stayed in

Room Tip: Lovely old hotel with a laid back attitude
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Daphne T
QualityControlNDevon, Owner at Trimstone Manor Country House Hotel, responded to this review, 31 July 2012
Dear Daphne T

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We are glad that overall you enjoyed your stay with us with the special voucher you purchased.

As the owner I have more than one occupation so I have to rely upon staff to help do all the tasks they must fulfill and overall, they are very good and undertake their responsibilities efficiently and professionally. However, I am kept fully aware of everything operating in the Hotel and the staff know they have our full support and encouragement - and that we have been making a very big investment here to improve the offering from what we inherited in 2007 (and there'll always be things to do!). We still offer something very different to the big, impersonal chains where the staff have no connection with the ownership at all and I think that the general relaxing yet professional style which you experienced is a direct reflection of that. We try to encourage an atmosphere which makes guests feel comfortable and homely and I think that our poultry collection helped you in that regard, based on your interest! We have quite a menagerie and these are primarily our boys' responsibility.

Thank you for commenting on your room - we have a couple of dog-friendly rooms and unfortunately the view from one (yours) is not too exciting though despite that I was pleased to hear that you felt that it was better than most dog-friendly rooms you have stayed-in elsewhere. However, if next time you'd like a Prestige room overlooking the delightful gardens and valley, please do ask, though I regret we can't take a dog in that one!

My best wishes

Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 July 2012

I had need of a night of quiet conversation and rest - a very busy business week piling on the miles. Having been in Birmingham the night before I was certainly in need of a restful atmosphere and comfortable surroundings.

I was welcomed by smiling friendly staff and immediately taken to the Braunton suite. Best described I feel as slightly quirky nevertheless the four poster bed looked inviting (and proved to be very comfortable too, later). The bath is in a separate 'enclosure' off the main room but I quickly discovered a massive advantage of this - you can lie in pleasantly warm water and watch TV!

Dragging myself away as I needed to eat I found the bar area comfortable and the beer excellent.

Dinner was very good, the choice of food was exciting and both perfectly cooked and well presented. The meal was complimented by quiet unobtrusive service, sparkling glasses and white starched table cloths and napkins. The wine was fine - so good in fact that I had a further glass with the noteworthy Cheese Board.

Coffe and Cognac back the lounge followed by an excellent nights sleep in the four poster!

I shall definitely be coming to visit again.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Tim M
QualityControlNDevon, Owner at Trimstone Manor Country House Hotel, responded to this review, 18 July 2012
Dear TimM

Just a short note to thank you so much for your review - am very pleased that you found everything to your satisfaction. Of course, you (nor us!) didn't know till 'after' either than the Hotel Inspectors were staying and dining 'with' you! I am pleased to say that we have improved our independently assessed scores from last year and are now 'good' from 'quite good'.

We shall very much look forward to having you stay with us again - and if in 'Braunton' you'll find a new carpet there as well!

My best wishes

Plymouth, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 July 2012

A delicious cream tea enjoyed by our community group at Trimstone Manor recently. Friendly staff and relaxing gardens - and the sun came out!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
QualityControlNDevon, Owner at Trimstone Manor Country House Hotel, responded to this review, 17 July 2012
Dear OSW

Just a short note to thank you so much for taking the time to eave a review.

we are so pleased that you had a good time here at Tyme Restaurant at Trimstone! With all the rain we'd been having, we had to work really hard to make sure you had bright sunshine so you could enjoy the gardens!

We shall look forward to seeing you again.

My very best wishes

Tamworth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 July 2012

My partner and I had been looking forward to this weekend for a long time as part of a special celebration and even after reading all the reviews and the owner’s replies before booking, we decided to give it a go.
On arrival, the young lady on reception was friendly and welcoming but was unaware that we were booked in for dinner. Forgive me for being sceptical....but there was a discount for booking in advance [Confirmed by email at the time of booking] but booked us in for 7.30, no problem.
We had booked the Braunton room with the four post bed but as the door was opened the musty smell was apparent. The carpet looked to be around 30 years old, lighting was ineffective, [non existent at the dressing table but as most ladies of a certain age I need good lighting...] with only one available electrical socket. The bed itself was clean and freshly made, comfortable too.
The ‘ensuite’ bath was a strange affair though, carpeted the same as the bedroom which probably had a lot to do with the smell. Built into a doorless alcove in the bedroom it gave little opportunity to keep the mystery in a relationship...but if you like watching TV from your bath then you’ll be ok.
Dinner was acceptable though not 3 star. We opted for the 3 courses at £28.50, served very efficiently by the same member of staff who had greeted us. Good wines by the glass.
The first morning at breakfast though was a shabby affair. We half expected Basil Fawlty to make an appearance.
The young waitress seemed surprised to see us and directed us to a table ‘over there’ . No attempt was made to clean or re lay the table and the previous guest’s juice glasses and crumbs were left all through our stay. Her colleague, [even younger I think and totally untrained] eventually asked us if we’d like coffee but after 20 minutes we had to ask to order breakfast. As did 4 other guests. We finally finished our breakfast at 10.20 but glad to be the last ones there because we were laughing so much.
Surprisingly, they were not aware we had booked in for dinner on the second evening either but we were told that as they’d had a cancellation there would probably be enough food! On finding out that the menu was exactly the same as the previous evening, we cancelled the table and went elsewhere.
Sunday breakfast was the complete opposite, prompt service [guess who] and very good food.
Didn’t see hide nor hair of the owner, seems obvious that it’s one young lady who keeps the place going. She’s a credit.
It didn’t spoil our weekend but definitely not worth the money and we will not be staying again.
BTW...just because a place has 1000 years of history doesn’t mean it should smell that way. 

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
14 Thank Bonbon L
, Owner at Trimstone Manor Country House Hotel, responded to this review, 13 July 2012
Dear Bonbon L

Thank you for your review though disappointed that you were disappointed.

There were indeed some failings in your reservation details and that certainly didn't help our usual organised welcome - very sorry abut that. We do have a new Receptionist now and perhaps that is all I should say on the matter..... However, very sorry (and angry) about that. Glad you found the staff helpful and facilitating regardless. Yes, the pre-booked evening meal should have been recorded, at the preferential rate of £23.50 each.

Saturday Breakfast appeared to have been a wholly unacceptable affair too and I apologise for that.

What else? Yes, there should be a lamp on the dressing table - being rectified (I bought a special one a long time ago for there!).

Starring? Oddly enough we've just passed our mystery Visit Britain inspector visit the week after you at Three stars (the only establishment in the immediate Ilfracombe area so starred) and have improved our score. The two inspectors really enjoyed their meal too and have moved us from 'quite good' to 'good'.... I see you dined elsewhere on the Saturday night - not trying to be snobbish but in an establishment which I believe you will find relies on the freezer and microwave but glad you enjoyed that! We prepare our food specially and freshly every day.

Sorry about any damp smell - that was inappropriate but unusual. Yes, carpet in the bathroom but it has been rather 'wet' outside the last few weeks.... Glad the bed was comfortable and of course it was freshly made - we do change the beds after guests (of course....)!

The bath - yes, some love it - some don't but we'll never please everyone - though we did 'inherit' the arrangements.

For the breakfast failings I should like to compensate you in a concessionary offer but you've somewhat pre-empted that by saying you don't wish to return so am a little incapacitated in that quarter, which is a shame.

The evening menu. incidentally, should indeed have been different the second night so I wonder if you saw the previous night's? The menu is not usually produced till about an hour before service begins?

As for smells, trying to be clever when it appears to be simply snide, we think that certain guests are tainted as well so beware of what you say! We have had guests in 'Braunton' since you and they were delighted with the room - though as I say, we'll never please everyone all the time!

However, ok, here we are, we offer you East Down Prestige Room as a concession for a standard price for three nights - so will you dare to try us again and let us prove ourselves to you - and a 20% discount from that price for the accommodation too? Over to you.

Oh yes, as owner, I do have another demanding full-time job and don't wish to undermine the staff's responsibilities buy doing the jobs for which they are retained. I reply to reviews like this one at 11.30pm, at night...

All best wishes

Philip J Milton - owner
Yorkshire
Reviewed 29 June 2012

Nice setting, lovely rooms, freshly cooked large breakfast. Ten minutes drive from Ilfracombe out in the countryside. Helpful staff. As a guide to visitors please remember this an old country house hotel not a travelodge. It has uneven floors etc and oak beams which gives it a unique character. It has ducks, geese, peacocks, chickens and turkeys living in the grounds.

Overall a pleasant two nights away.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Realityracer
, Owner at Trimstone Manor Country House Hotel, responded to this review, 11 July 2012
Dear Realityracer

Thank you very much for your kind comments.

We shall look forward to your return trip!

My very best wishes

Philip J Milton - Owner
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ilfracombe
Ilfracombe Carlton Hotel
#10 of 20 in Ilfracombe
Strathmore Guest House
Strathmore Guest House
#9 of 20 in Ilfracombe

Been to Trimstone Manor Country House Hotel? Share your experiences!