“Friendly well run B&B”

Norbury House Hotel
Ranked #4 of 20 Hotels in Ilfracombe
Reviewed 18 September 2010

Large pleasant room with good amenities.
Excellent breakfast.
Friendly and helpful staff.
Excellent location within walking distance of main Ilfracombe attractions.
I would definitely recommend this B&B

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 16 September 2010

Spent 3 nights at the Norbury House Hotel in Room 5 (which had a small adjoining room which was very handy for our 19month old) had a great time at the Hotel. Adam is welcoming and knowledgeable, the rooms are very comfortable and provided space to relax after a day exploring Ilfracombe. Breakfast was quality and the whole experience was just what we needed.

Will come again...

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 August 2010

Norbury House is a fantastic hotel! I went there with my partner as a belated birthday present and we were more than impressed! Adam met us the day we arrived and we were able to go to our room earlier than the stated check in time! We were given tea and coffee when we arrived and Adam spent time with us, talking us through the local attractions and restaurants!

The room itself was gorgeous! We stayed in room 7 and it was alot bigger than the photos make it out to be! I wanted to stay in room 8 with the sea views but the views from out room didnt disappoint! A lovely view over the town!

The breakfast most definitley set us up for the day! Even my boyfriend was full up afterwards which is amazing! We had asked Adam at breakfast to book us a table at 11 The Quay (Damien Hursts restaurant) but were quite worried when we didnt see either Adam or Paula during the day. However we werent disappointed and arrived at the restaurant to find that our table had indeed been booked! Also being a girl I had to drag the other half to the Chocolate Emporium and were bought a number of presents for family!

I would say the only downside to the holiday had nothing to do with the hotel but the car! We broke down on the last day in Ilfracombe town but on the plus side I was allowed to go to the chocolate emporium again whilst waiting for the AA!

The welcome and good bye was as warm as you could possible imagine and Adam and Paula have created a brilliant hotel in a brilliant location! They made us feel right at home. I would without a doubt recommend this hotel to everyone and anyone, were already checking our diaries to see when we can go again!!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 August 2010

A relaxed warm welcome was waiting for us from Adam and we met the lovely Paula after a delicious homecooked breakfast the following day. The hotel was beautifully decorated and the attention to detail was exceptional. My young son Finn made himself at home very quickly and loved hanging out in the hammock. Our stay was refreshing and satisfying. Paula and Adam have successfully combined an elegant stylish hotel with the feeling and ambience of staying with good friends.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 August 2010

I kidnapped my BF for 3 days to celebrate (belatedly) my birthday. I found Norbury House somewhere on the internet and from the website and Trip Advisor reviews knew I had found where I wanted to go.

I have to say it was Bovril that clinched it for me, the BF is a dog person and loved the idea that we could take him out for walks along the cliff path.

We were warmly welcomed with tea and shortbread and as Paula had just finished cleaning our room at 11am she graciously let us check in and unpack, waaaay earlier than the published check in time. I booked room 3, it was a spacious, en suite double room with nice decor and a great views down the hill out to sea and across the town. The facilities were fine, as we weren't there to stay in the room, the TV signal is a little dodgy and the water temp from the shower is patchy. However on a serious plus point, the tea, coffee and biscuits were good ones - not silly little cups and there was yummy biscuits. Just what you need when you get up.

Paula went through all the local restaurants that she'd recommend and the things to do/see. We then took Bovril for a walk along the cliff path ... a walk ??!!!??? I'd say more of a hike but it was great. we walked to Lee which is about 3 miles each way (and about a mile upwards as well - the cliff path is not the gentle stroll we imagined!)

Adam laughed when I later took down 2 pairs of muddy jeans and asking about launderettes, he put them through the washing machine for us - yes, we both fell over on the walk!

Breakfast was enough to set you up for the day, I had the Full English on the first day and the Eggs Benedict on the second. Both of which were great and there was loads of juice and tea/coffee available also.

As it's against the law to visit Devon and not have a cream tea we asked Adam where he would recommend, we ended up at the Chocolate Emporium on the high street which has a tea room above it with a view of the sea. Simply fabulous cream tea, we shared one but I could honestly have put one away by myself and looked around for more!

We ate at the two restaurants suggested - Clarets and Expresso Cafe Bar. Both served wonderful food and there was added entertainment of an extended powercut at Clarets, thankfully after we'd eaten our dinner!

Other things we loved about Norbury House? The honesty bar, we had a couple of drinks on the terrace on our last night watching the sun go down and then sat in the lounge with the chillout music playing and the coffee table books.

All in all, loved it and hope to go back!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 August 2010

I have been travelling to Ilfracombe for most of the past 60 years (since I was four): my mother lived here for over 40 years until she died last year so, suddenly, I had no reason to come back. On a whim I decided to become a tourist and found this hotel online. From the moment Adam met me to the moment I left Paula and Adam after three nights' stay, I could not have wished for a better place to act as a base. I stayed in Room 7, right at the top, and it was perfect for my needs. The breakfasts were very good (as an inveterate hotel traveller I have had far worse in so-called top hotels) and I just felt at home. Guests are all made welcome and newcomers to the area given plenty of practical advice on where to go and what to do: yet you are also free to come and go as you please. I have never written a hotel review before but Adam and Paula deserve this praise and I will come back next August.

Anthony Hunt

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 12 August 2010

I recommend Norbury House to anyone wanting a relaxing, comfy atmosphere. Adam and Paula were fantastic and so easy to talk to. They happy to give great advice on days out.
The room was cosy and can't be faulted, I loved the little touches such as the biscuits and the bottles of water.
Norbury house was amazing and we are hoping to visit again in the winter... Thank you Adam and Paula.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple