“Shabby and rude.”
Review of Devon Bay Hotel

Devon Bay Hotel
Ranked #19 of 20 Hotels in Ilfracombe
Reviewed 20 May 2012

I have just returned from a two day stay at this hotel booked through groupon. For the cost of the trip I was not expecting a lot and to be fair the standard of the rooms was acceptable given the price.

However we upgraded our room to deluxe - there was nothing deluxe about it. I can only assume the deluxe part was the shower over the bath, the trouser press on the wall or the dodgy tv. I assume all rooms had a bed and towels.

The bathroom was clean however the "deluxe" shower unit was unusual. The dial to control the water power had been removed and stuck in position "low" with white tack.

The communal areas looked pleasant but tired. It could all do with being redecorated. Someone had scratched an expletive in to he wall paper in one corridoor which was a nice greeting everytime we walked past.

We didn't stay for the evening entertainment as we felt about 40 years too young, however the people who were here looked like they were enjoying themselves.

Breakfast was an experience. We were lucky that we were ignored when we entered the dining area as it enabled us to choose our own table. Food was poor quality but the chef thoughtfully fried some of the previous nights broccoli Instead of beans. To be fair the quality reflects the value of the hotel and I did eat it.

What was not acceptable was the rude old waitress. She ignored us for 10minutes then asked who we were. We told her we were guests and she said "oh, well go and sit where you did yesterday"! We told her we already were and she replied "for gods sake" then walked off. Whilst we were contemplating what we had done to irritate her so much she returned. Her little gem of kindness time was "no offense, but when are you leaving the hotel". Needless to say we left shortly after never to return

If we hadn't had the misfortune of being served by the old hag I wouldn't have minded this hotel. It's cheap and cheerful, you get what you pay for. What is not acceptable is rudeness regardless of the price.

6  Thank J_Llanvair
There are newer reviews for Devon Bay Hotel

Reviewed 20 May 2012

I'll begin by saying my expectations were very low having read the reviews on tripadvisor. This stay was a gift, so all I paid was £20 for a deluxe room upgrade (see later). We arrived at 14:10, were greeted by a very friendly receptionist, and given a quick overview of the hotel/services/parking. We were able to find a parking space immediately, and just to clarify previous reviews, there are in fact 6 spaces (4 spaces if the cars are poorly parked). The reception rooms/reading room/canteen (which is really the best word for the eating experience) are dated, but clean and tidy.

We then made our way to our Deluxe Upgrade room (363). Up sides of the room: adequate size, the bathroom was clean, and the TV worked. The bed was tired and quite firm but did the job. Down sides of the room: the kettle didn't work unless continuous pressure was applied to the flip-switch because it kept turning itself off, the towels were just large enough to preserve my modesty (and I'm slim), and the power knob on the shower unit appeared to be held in position with chewing gum.... oh, and if I stay here again, I'll bring my own toilet paper.

On the first morning, we went for breakfast at the hotel's restaurant. Up sides to breakfast: the staff were very friendly and efficient (although this was VERY different on the second morning (see later)), the breakfast was above average and the coffee was good. Down sides to breakfast: the room is set out like a school canteen and you are expected to keep the same seats for every meal. We then spent the rest of the day doing our own thing in North Devon to arrive back at 23:00. We were able to just squeeze into the 6th parking space and went to bed.

On the second morning the experience was very different. We arrived for breakfast at 08:30 and took the same table/seats as the previous day. We were approached by a surly looking woman who said "are you staying at the hotel?", to which we replied "yes". She then asked "have you eaten here before?", to which we replied "yes". She then said "can you move to the table you were sat at yesterday?", to which we replied "we ARE sat at the table we were at yesterday". She muttered some prophanity and left the table. She returned to take our order (and was still grumpy), and when she returned a third time to serve our food said "I don't mean to sound rude, but are you leaving today?". We were a bit taken aback by this, and can still not figure out what the fuss and hostility was all about the second time around. I honestly felt like pouring my orange juice over her head in protest.

To summarise: The facilities are a bit tired, but I was expecting this and so was not disappointed. The room was adequate, but I did not spend any more time than was absolutely necessary in there, and would certainly not say it warrants its 'deluxe upgrade' status. The staff were, on the whole, very friendly and helpful but there was at least one very bad egg (and frankly, she spoiled the whole experience). If you're paying for a stay here yourself, consider going elsewhere. If you’re staying here as a gift like I did and you decide to have breakfast in house, watch out for the miserable trout.

Room Tip: Don't bother with a deluxe upgrade
3  Thank RBSW
Reviewed 20 May 2012

My partner and i stayed here for a 2 night break which we got on Groupon. OK so first point ...... make sure you are over 60 years of age if you want to stay in this hotel!

The hotel is very dated, the floorboards are terrible, our room was up in the loft and i honestly thought i was going to fall through the floor at some points. The customer service was ok, the american guy behind the bar was lovely! Breakfast was all from Lidl's ..... all completley tastless, cold toast and even the cold bits we had to share with the strangers that had been sat at our table with us as there wasn't enought room! The whole place is really old and smelly.

There is 4 car parking space next to a bit of waste land, needless to say the sea gulls go digging for food there and so they end up poo-ing all over your car (it was lovely to wake up to the first morning!) and if you move your car during the day then you will loose your space!

Ilfracoombe as a place was lovely but this hotel was awful...

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank lou_2207
Reviewed 16 May 2012

“DONT EVEN CONSIDER IT”

However, if you are considering using this hotel, don’t take a car as there is very little parking - “4 spaces in total!” If you are lucky enough to get one of these great, but don’t move your car during your stay as you wont get that space again. If you are not one of the lucky ones, you will need to use on street parking at £1.40 per hour with a maximum stay of 4 hours, no return. As pointed out by the Hotel owner, it is free between 6pm and 6am however, you will need to move your car to another bay at 6am and feed the machine. There is a short stay car park further along the sea front but this costs £10 for 5 hours, with a max stay of 5 hours with no return or overnight parking.

We visited at the start of the season and whilst there were some spaces available at this time, I am sure that during high season on street sea front parking will be very hard to find. All things considered this was one of the worst hotels I can remember visiting (our room appeared to have been created out of a cupboard under the stairs). Even standing in reception the owner was telling me the hotel had 12 parking spaces but when I attempted to use the offsite parking area there was clearly only 4 spaces. 4 spaces for a hotel boasting of 300 rooms? Other guests arrived at the same time as us and quickly filled up the on street bays but they appeared to be as confused as us. It was total madness as people jostled for spaces trying to work out where they were going to park for their stay. We were unable to find suitable parking (4 hours with no return is frankly ridiculous if you are planning to stay for the weekend) so decided we had no alternative but to come home.

Ilfracombe looks lovely place and worth a visit but do not use this hotel for your stay

2  Thank JackHodgins
Reviewed 11 May 2012

I recently purchased a deal for the hotel on 'deal cloud' it was billed as a £220 stay for £78 howerver when we arrived it was advertised as £38 per night. So i was conned. Our room was dirty, hair in the bath, small uncomfortable bed, paid for car parking on the street, cups were minging with lipstick on them, my partner felt sick after breakfast- i eat nothing. I have emailed the hotel twice now for their comments and i'm still awaiting a response. I would not recommend this hotel to anybody and wish i never booked it. Very very poor customer service!!!

4  Thank Ami S
Reviewed 6 May 2012

Overall my we had a nice time but the room we had was in quite poor condition, the bedcover was very grubby and the wardrobe was mouldy inside. The food was okay and the entertainment was actually quite good.

Room Tip: I never saw other bedrooms so am not sure if they would be similar to ours or better!
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jill N
Reviewed 4 May 2012

Loved our stay here. Great atmosphere a real gem for the money.Great food and excellent service.The manager went out of his way to help make our stay very enjoyable, Loved the bar and the food,The entertainment was very good A great location to explore this Victorian resort. Can't wait to return.

2  Thank Dean R