I have just returned from a two day stay at this hotel booked through groupon. For the cost of the trip I was not expecting a lot and to be fair the standard of the rooms was acceptable given the price.
However we upgraded our room to deluxe - there was nothing deluxe about it. I can only assume the deluxe part was the shower over the bath, the trouser press on the wall or the dodgy tv. I assume all rooms had a bed and towels.
The bathroom was clean however the "deluxe" shower unit was unusual. The dial to control the water power had been removed and stuck in position "low" with white tack.
The communal areas looked pleasant but tired. It could all do with being redecorated. Someone had scratched an expletive in to he wall paper in one corridoor which was a nice greeting everytime we walked past.
We didn't stay for the evening entertainment as we felt about 40 years too young, however the people who were here looked like they were enjoying themselves.
Breakfast was an experience. We were lucky that we were ignored when we entered the dining area as it enabled us to choose our own table. Food was poor quality but the chef thoughtfully fried some of the previous nights broccoli Instead of beans. To be fair the quality reflects the value of the hotel and I did eat it.
What was not acceptable was the rude old waitress. She ignored us for 10minutes then asked who we were. We told her we were guests and she said "oh, well go and sit where you did yesterday"! We told her we already were and she replied "for gods sake" then walked off. Whilst we were contemplating what we had done to irritate her so much she returned. Her little gem of kindness time was "no offense, but when are you leaving the hotel". Needless to say we left shortly after never to return
If we hadn't had the misfortune of being served by the old hag I wouldn't have minded this hotel. It's cheap and cheerful, you get what you pay for. What is not acceptable is rudeness regardless of the price.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A warm welcome awaits you at Devon Bay Hotel. Its Stately Victorian exterior fully compliments the stylish and characteristic interior, blending old and new styles to create a unique and exciting environment. Our large and airy restaurant looks out to the front of the hotel, serving freshly prepared breakfast and dinner every day. We also have a large bar and comfortable lounge areas, which are great to sit and enjoy a drink and relax. The Devon Bay Hotel is ideally located in the bustling centre of Ilfracombe, minutes from the cliff tops and beautiful sandy beach, meaning guests have everything they need within walking distance. Our aim at Devon Bay Hotel is to ensure that your stay with us is pleasurable. You will always receive a friendly warm welcome, whether you are visiting us for lunch or dinner, a function or an overnight stay. Whether business or pleasure, why not make the Devon Bay Hotel first on your list of new venues to visit - we look forward to welcoming you. Step outside and you are on the Promenade with its many shops, cafes, and the Landmark Theatre complex. Open all year around, we offer Christmas and New Year Packages and our nightly entertainment ensures that your visit to the Devon Bay Hotel will be enjoyable. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Ebookers, Hotels.com, Agoda and Odigeo so you can book your Devon Bay Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grosvenor Hotel Ilfracombe
- Devon Bay Hotel Ilfracombe