“Weekend voucher break”

Ranked #18 of 20 Hotels in Ilfracombe
worcester
“Weekend voucher break”
Reviewed 27 August 2013

Staff are friendly and helpful. The saying you get what you pay for says it all. We had a 2 night deal with breakfast on both days and an evening meal on the first night good value for money at £99 for the weekend. cheap as chips.

We had a twin room it was clean but could be planned out better perhaps a longer aerial lead would help and and wall bracket for the tv ! no telephone in the room as mentioned in their hotel details a bit picky of me as we generally don't use them but in an emergency would! Tiny Bath room = tiny shower 6ft 5" just couldn't use it but 5ft 3" no problems.

In all fairness as a previous review by trickster9 has stated it was value for our money

Room Tip: you can purchase a parking visa from the ilfracombe tourist which cover several carparks in the area
2 Thank bo55man

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (193)
surrey
Reviewed 23 August 2013

My Husband and myself stayed at the Grosvenor for 2 nights B&B with evening meal at the beginning of August. We bought a deal with Go Groopie, the staff were very friendly and helpful could not be faulted. We were given our key and told roughly where it was but did not realise it was at the very top of the hotel. As you went up the stairs they got slimmer and slimmer which was a pain when you have a fair size holdall to carry. We unpacked and then went for a walk around to see some views and then came back and got ready for the evening meal. The waiter was very polite and showed us to our table and after a while asked us what we would like for our meal. We had soup to start which tasted like it was from a tin and had just been seasoned for taste. I had a chicken curry which tasted like a frozen one you would get from a shop, my Husband had Roast Beef that he was really looking forward to but, when it arrived he looked at his plate and before he could say anything the couple on the adjacent table stared laughing at his expression as they had the same. It consisted of 1 tiny Yorkshire pudding, 2 micro thin slices of meat with veg and 3 potatoes that looked like it was a frozen meal. Considering in the leaflet it says the chefs are passionate about their food and reputation for excellent cuisine is a joke. The breakfast was good but we were not going to have another evening like it so went out for a meal instead, when we spoke to the other couple they said the fish was reconstituted which considering in a seaside location is terrible. We came back after a nice evening walk to find about 6 keys to the rooms lined up on the counter and no one behind the counter guarding them which is disgusting as anybody could have just picked up and riffled through the rooms. The bed was uncomfortable and worn out at the bottom, it crackled and if you went to the side it would dip. Through the night we kept getting woken up either by the room door or fire exit door which was in our room rattling even though they were locked so did not have much sleep. The shower was fine bathroom was clean with clean towels.

Room Tip: wouldn't bother
6 Thank ninja64

Travellers are raving about these Ilfracombe hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 August 2013

My partner and I bought a deal on KGB deals for a few nights stay with breakfast each morning and a 3 course dinner. We checked out after the first night and booked to stay somewhere else, one thing I can't stand is un-cleanliness. The first room we were given was so far away we got lost, the lift only goes to a certain floor, then you have to lug your cases up the rest of the way. The staff did however change our room to one that was easier to get to. The room is very basic with cheap furniture, bathroom very un-clean, hairs everywhere, floors with stains that hadn't been mopped, shelf with spilt product not cleaned - I had to clean the bathroom before I used it and lay towels on the floor (yuck), rusting towel rail, bed very uncomfortable and hard - worst nights sleep ever, the mattress is well over due for a re-placement,. The evening meal was awful, my partner can normally eat anything - not this time. We ordered our food and the waiter walked into the kitchen and straight back out out with the food in less than 30 seconds, the meals are obviously pre-prepared on plates, then just collected from the kitchen when ordered. We ended up leaving the dinner and going to the local chippy, very dissapointed. The hotel is aimed towards the over 70's, bingo nights etc. The only good thing is the staff were friendly, however when I told the lady at reception that we were booked to stay a further few days but were checking out early, she merley replied 'ok'.

6 Thank Goldielox1
England
Reviewed 23 August 2013

Here's our review of the Grosvenor where we stayed earlier this week.

Many reviewers have rubbished every aspect of this hotel, including the type of people who stay there. They are entitled to their opinions. Ours differ.
We came on a kgb deal. Three nights in August. Bed and breakfast plus dinner on two nights. The cost was an incredible £149.00 for the two of us. When a night in an average B and B can cost £70. I think this is excellent vfm.
The Grosvenor is a Victorian hotel and although a little dated in decor, proved perfectly acceptable bearing in mind what we paid. We parked on the forecourt to unload our bags and were given a friendly welcome at reception. Most of the hotels in Ilfracombe do not have great parking facilities. The G has 6 spaces just across the road. These are generally full, but we got on once. There is street parking right outside. £1.00 an hour from 10 till 6. We were out in the car most of the time and got back to the hotel after 4 so only paid for an hour or two. We had left by the time the 10am start time came round. Our room was on the first floor. It was recently decorated and quite spacious. There was a second bed. The full ensuite was clean. TV, tea making and hair dryer provided. They use blankets rather than duvets. The food was homely cooking, by no means gourmet and was tasty and plentiful. Two or three choices for dinner. Breakfast was cereals etc plus full English or kippers. The sausages were a let down being, the frankfurter type. Bar prices were cheap for a hotel. The waiting staff were friendly and efficient. There was a nice atmosphere during meals. After dinner there is a lounge/ballroom where the low key entertainment takes place. Usually singer instrumentalist, quiz and bingo.
There’s a separate lounge with board games and books.
The clients at the time we were there, were mostly senior citizens on coach holidays. Reviewers have been unkind to these people IMHO. They are decent people who’ve worked all their lives and are enjoying their autumn years. They’re probably about to hand over their assets to the next (lucky) generation.
The location of the hotel is fine. It’s a flat 15min walk to the harbour and is just by the lovely Runneymead gardens and the theatre. There’s a short steep walk to the high street.

I don’t know anything about the economics of running a hotel, and how much the G retained after KGB took their cut but I feel we got a very good deal. If you want state of the art decor and fine dining you need to pay a lot more and go elsewhere. We doubt you would find this in Ilfracombe anyway.

2 Thank trickster9
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 August 2013

My partner and I bought a deal on KGB deals for a 2 night stay with breakfast each morning and a 3 course meal every evening. I read the reviews on trip advisor for the Grosvenor before we booked.
I have to say the Fawlty Towers comment kind of fits, but I didn’t see it as a bad thing. The hotel has character. The staff we extremely friendly and helpful. One of the barmen is American, and like people have already said, one minute he was in the bar and the next he was in reception. He was a lovely man, I ordered a small glass of white wine on the first night just before dinner, and he filled it so full I had to have a sip before I picked it up! When he gave it to me he said “we don’t do small measures here!” and smiled. He did this with every drink I ordered!
The room was basic, but clean and tidy. I have seen many of the reviews complaining about blankets, the decor and the general old fashioned feel of the rooms. However I didn’t drive over 100miles for 2 days to spend the majority of it in my hotel room. We spent most of our time out and about as there is so much to see and do. The En-Suite was quite modern, very clean and bright. The shower was powerful and hot, and fresh white towels were available every day. There was not a single notice on the walls about “using towels sparingly” as another review said. It was a perfect room for us, as all we really did in it was sleep, shower and keep our luggage. We did use the television, and the signal was not great, but it was watchable and we had 5 channels. Tea and coffee making facilities were fine, the kettle didn’t work very well, but I only used it twice. We stayed in room 348, which was at the top of 5 flights of narrow stairs, which for us being in our mid 20’s wasn’t a problem.
The general hotel decor was green and gold, and yes it was dated, but it was also comforting and homely. There was a ballroom lounge, and a separate lounge. The separate lounge was full of exceedingly comfy sofas, and armchairs. It was a quiet place to sit late in the evening with a glass of wine. It was also quite private. I felt at home and welcomed in the lounges and foyer.
The Perspex that is mentioned in other reviews is still screwed into the wall to protect the wall paper, this wasn’t an issue for me, if guests had the courtesy to look after the hotel they were staying in, they probably wouldn’t need it, but it is expensive wallpaper and has been in the hotel for a while, and I think preserving it is a good idea.
The dining room was a little cramped, however we had our own table for two, so were not cramped ourselves. The food was fine, soups were nice, we had a steak and ale pie, where the steak just melted in your mouth, and we had roast pork, stuffing and apple sauce on the Sunday. I could see a few people on the Sunday complaining about the vegetables (broccoli and cauliflower), being under cooked. In my opinion they were cooked perfectly, they were crunchy, I hate vegetables that turn to mush. The actual pork etc. was lovely.
The breakfast was fine too, toast was nice, and my partner had the full English each morning and had no complaints. The egg was runny and the sausage and bacon yummy. The grapefruit segments I had were little disappointing as they had obviously come out of a tin, but tea and coffee was served in generous portions. I had a whole pot of tea (about 5 cups) to myself and my partner had the same with the coffee. The staff in the dining room were very polite calling us madam and sir; they were all well dressed and friendly.
The evening entertainment was pretty awful, cheesy and cheap. Single men with a microphone and a karaoke cd singing modern and old songs in front of a sparkly curtain on the stage. Not to my taste, however there were many other guests watching and joining in.
This hotel is characterful, comforting and homely. It is an old Victorian hotel, and you can tell this from the decor, it does feel a bit like stepping back in time, but I liked this. It was like staying in a Victorian manor house, crossed with Fawlty Towers, which gave the hotel a quirky feel to it. I was waiting for Manuel and Basil to appear. It was a lovely stay, well worth going to on the deals; we only paid £99 for both nights and all the food. We also got to spend the entire weekend in a place of stunning natural beauty, saw wild dolphins and porpoises, went swimming in the sea and met some lovely people. Take the bad reviews with a handful of salt, some people seem too fussy. You are not there to spend 3 days in your hotel room, all it serves as is a base for your stuff, somewhere to sleep (the beds were very comfy) and somewhere to shower. The staff were more than willing to help us in finding our way around the area and were always kind. I had a fantastic time! Highly recommend it for a short break.

5 Thank Sarah A
Pontypridd, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 August 2013

From the previous reviews on trip adviser we were not really looking forward to visiting this hotel, however we were pleasantly surprised! Its not the Hilton so if you want 5 star luxury its probably not for you, but it was in a lovely position close to the sea front, hotel and waiting staff were polite and helpful and room was clean with a comfy bed and with a new bathroom suite and clean towels daily. The only grumble would be that the room was small, it had a single headboard still on the wall but with a double bed and it wasn't really big enough to be a double room. But the bed was comfy, tea and coffee making facilities and hair dryer were provided, plenty of storage space, all in all was a good base which is all we were after for £99.00 for two nights! Breakfast was tasty, fresh tea and coffee, selection of fruit juices, cereal if you wanted it, toast and preserves and a selection of full English or various types of eggs with toast, gammon and eggs etc, again for what we paid more than adequate (and tasty as well)! The shared areas of the hotel are a little worn in places but a place like this must cost a fortune to look after and they are obviously trying their best. The eating area and main entertainment room are as you would expect with this type of hotel, some lovely glass chandeliers! All in all feels right for the style of the hotel. Entertainment was funny, disco on Friday, singer on Saturday but if like us you approach it all with a sense of humour you will have a good time. Can appreciate that other reviewers may have had older rooms etc but from our perspective we enjoyed ourself and would happily return. Parking can be a nightmare mind you so Id advise you do as we did and purchase a 4 day parking permit from the local council.It cost £12.00, we were able to buy it over the phone and it was posted out to us next day and it allowed us a choice of car-parks to use including one just two minutes from the hotel called the Brookdale car-park.
If your planning on going out and about we found a few nice places to eat, George and Dragon is nice for lunch (though pricey, £8.95 for lasagne or a curry, £4+ for a baguette, £8 for a pint and a glass of wine) but nice position, food was tasty, pub was cosy and Olde Worldy. We also found a little gem called Combe Cottage up on the high street. Lovely little place, home cooked but gorgeous food and a good selection of wine, lovely feel to the place and well worth a visit (starter £4+ mains from around £9+ would recommend the french onion soup with a cheesy toasted croûton and the burger and also the lamb, lovely rioja also!). If you plan to go Friday or Saturday Id say book as limited tables but this just adds to the ambience. We also visited Combe Martin Wildlife Park and thought this was fab! Very steep in places but loads of animals and experiences such as sitting in with the meer cats, we had a lovely day there and Combe Martin village is very picturesque, great day out! Finally one to avoid is the Asian Spice Indian which is up the road from the hotel. Will review separately but basically just dont go there!

Room Tip: The hotel staff are really helpful so to my mind if you are not happy or you want something just ask...
4 Thank bethdavies
Pontypridd, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 August 2013

Booked with a discount voucher and having read previous reviews was really dreading this.. But fair play whilst the hotel is old and in keeping with others of that period this was never meant to be a five star so dont expect that, but the rooms and hotel are clean, food is tasty and the staff know what they are doing, efficient friendly and polite. Entertainment is worth sticking around for if you want a good laugh.. From initially dreading this stay i think we would actually go back!

• Stayed August 2013