“Nice Time At Ilfracombe - John Fowlers Holiday Park”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ilfracombe
Ilfracombe Holiday Park
Stroud, United Kingdom
“Nice Time At Ilfracombe - John Fowlers Holiday Park”
Reviewed 1 July 2014

After Reading some reviews I was a bit worried about what I had actually paid for.

Well dont be that concerned as I have recently stayed there in a Gold Apartment -room 6T which was overall fine.

I contacted John fowler direct at the site and asked for a top floor apartment with a nice sea view if possible. I was told that would be no trouble and was booked in there. Excellent service . JFH Thank you.

I must say how friendly all the staff we met here were. From first arrival the reception lady on duty was excellent and made me feel valued. Thank you all.

The main swimming pool and club rooms were fine and well decorated and clean. The bar area was large and fine too. The amusements are situated in the main entertainment/bar room which is a little strange and could be in a different place all together. There was a chef corner café to eat , but we never did as we went out for the days here.

We found the site nice and quiet for sleeping at night and not over lively during the day. It was ideal for us as a couple.

Nice bathroom area with shower cubicle.

Now for a constructive comments :

Bathroom fittings were very loose and I was concerned that the glass shelf might drop off the fixing (it didnt) - Just needs tightening up .

There are a few little niggles which if John Fowler would address - would make the rooms more cosmetic and comfortable and would get you 5 stars from me.

The few little things namely being the sofa bed (not used as a bed this as only two of us ) was really very uncomfortable to sit on for long and very hard to get up from as it sank in the middle and you are left with your legs against the bar frame and your bum lower and stuck !!!

The other things that I just could not understand in the apartment was that the two doors on both bedrooms had two or more holes in that had been filled -but looked a different colour to the rest of the door so cosmetically looked bad. If only the doors had been either fully painted over or replaced would have made a great difference.

Again one small niggle is the main dining table looked well worn on the top surface. The varnish or laminate top surface was very marked and worn. With a little love and care - either re-sanding and painting the table would make it look great or just replace.

Also one of the four chairs had a definite wobble , so we never sat on that one again.

The actual kitchen area was ok. It had a dish washer, fridge freezer, toaster, ceramic hob, and some fitted cabinets ( not like in the illustration images of the gold apartments though) but not fully fitted along all walls though.

The cutlery was basic and cooking utensils were good.

The outside wall areas of some of the buildings on opposite apartments did look stained brown / green patches all along the building. Again if this was repainted or washed off would look better John fowler !!

The overall site was very nice and pretty quiet. The food from the Ranas tandoori mahal -over the road (I think John fowler has some link to them as the staff were wearing polo shirts with the john fowler symbol on them)

The food was ok ( one x chicken patia vindaloo hot and one x chicken korma) but in my opinion nothing special as the food did not look like it was authentic and tasted more like from a Tesco jar with a few added chopped onion on top! With two pints of Cobra it was £26.

I might be wrong here but I have a lot of curries and I did not go back again for another one, but the staff there were really nice though .

The John fowler holiday park is at the top of a steep hill area. You really do need a car to travel into town and back but it cost us £3 by taxi up the hill one way.

There is a large Tesco very close to this park for you to stock up on grocerys, but not petrol.

If you want fish and chips from Town centre then shops only stay open til 8pm which is hard to believe in a seaside town of this size.

The witherspoons pub at sea front stays open till 11pm doing food if that is of interest to you.

Overall we had a great time here at this holiday park. Please dont let my comments put you off staying here as I am sure you will enjoy your stay too.
Thank you All the staff at John Fowler Ilfracombe Holiday park.

I am hoping that the management of John Fowler will read my review and put the little things right to make this holiday park even better all round for us customers to enjoy and recommend & come back to again.

Would we come back here again - YES

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank herbie44
JohnFowlerHolidays, Guest Relations Manager at Ilfracombe Holiday Park, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Hello Herbie

Thank you very much for leaving us such a fantastic review, we really appreciate it. Your comments have been passed to all departments.

As you say, the park does not deserve poor reviews and thankfully they are few and far between. We simply do not understand why some people choose to post them, when all the staff work really hard to make everyone feel welcome, as you experienced. However, we are all individuals and we can all have vastly different opinions on the same subject.

I am delighted to hear that you had a great time. Our returning customers are very important to us and we look forward to welcoming you again very soon.

Guest Relations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (183)
Truro, Cornwall
Reviewed 29 June 2014

Ilfracombe Holiday Park is ok as a cheap option holiday in North Devon.

The apartment we're staying in (4 of us - wife and baby plus me and toddler) - is too small to relax in as a family. There are a quite a few niggles - the freezer doesn't seal properly, one of the chairs is very wobbly verging on dangerous, the fridge light doesn't work, the cupboard door is wonky, etc.

The trouble is that there isn't really anywhere else to go to chill out, especially in the morning. The swimming pool doesn't open until 10am. There is no cafe, no outdoor play area, no central meeting place apart from a giant entertainment room - a soulless, social club-style hall, full of tables and chairs with an amusement arcade at one end. Great fun in the evening, but a 9 in the morning it's hard to imagine anywhere more child unfriendly.

The good points are: the swimming pool is free for guests (when it finally opens), and is very nice; the evening entertainments for children are done well and on the whole staff have been pretty friendly and helpful.

Would we stay here again? My wife says yes, but I'd prefer to go camping!

1 Thank trurojoe
Hello Joe

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience at our holiday park. We certainly do not ignore any constructive criticism and perhaps there are some areas that could be improved in the interest of future guests. I hope when you reported the "niggles" to reception, that they were rectified immediately.

It's such a shame that you missed the smaller more comfortable room next to reception which tends to be used by so many during the period before the bar and pool open.

Your comments have been passed on to all departments and we really hope that you will visit us again in the near future

Oadby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 June 2014

We booked a 'silver' 3 bedroom chalet for our holiday in Ilfracombe. We stayed in chalet 174, and were disgusted with its condition. The photos say it all really, the rooms are kept in a 'fowl' condition and are always a disappointment to come back to after spending a nice day out. Theres nothing really positive to say about it. Its certainly not worth paying a lot of money to stay in, especially if you go when its school holidays. The indoor heated pool probably great for kids but not for adults. We did not attend any of the entertainment events.

If you're looking to be beside the seaside, then Wollacombe is the place to be. Ilfracombe has no actual seaside but a small rocky beach overlooking the sea. Wollacombe has a 3 mile long sea side with nice golden sand thats lovely to walk across. There is a Tesco superstore just up the road, and the indian takeaway on the opposite side of the reception is decent.

1 Thank MolecularAudio

Travellers are raving about these Ilfracombe hotels

swales
Reviewed 27 June 2014

myself and partner and 6month old daughter stay here 5 nights i phoned up a few day before to ask about the accomidation becozs i read some bad reviews on here i was told i was on top floor but asked to have a bottom floor because of the baby etc and the lady on the phone put it as a request on my booking form ... when we arrived we were upgraded to gold appartment but still on.top floor and said i requested a bottom floor apartment ..
yes i was moved to 14g which we were greatful for but the manners on the receptionist is discusting very rude
i might have only payed 99.00 for holidays it was nice but very basic but not sure what grade apartment we were put in because there was white dog hair all over carpet and popcorn behind under sofa i ant some1 to be fussy but get a decent hover !!! and cleaner who can do there job properly also you can hire a travel cot for 10.00 .... dont bother cozs there discustin i didnt even put my little girl in there the matress all ripped and falling apart :-(:-( ... ( good job we had it for free cozs i would of asked for my money back ).
..other than this everything else was fantastic the pool is clean and warm my little one loved it entertment ok in evenins brill when.there a show on ..
the girls who do the entermant are very friendly
also whilst walking around the site you can see john folwer is doin apartments up so there all not minging ... were defo be coming back we enjoyed it and wish we booked to stay longer gutted to come home :-(:-(

• Stayed June 2014
2 Thank neli23
JohnFowlerHolidays, Guest Relations Manager at Ilfracombe Holiday Park, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Hello Deli

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review. It is satisfying to hear that you had a great time on our park and I have passed on your feedback on to the department managers so they can share this success with their teams.

I have checked your booking and unfortunately the request for a ground floor apartment was not added, I am sorry about that. It's a shame that the receptionist got the blame for someone else's error but I am pleased that it did not spoil the rest of your stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Ashford, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed in a ground floor room, near the complex due to disabled father. Room stunk of cigarette ash, didn't see much evidence of a hoover being used. Kitchen was best feature, front room had a dining table in front of the main door, very bad for a disabled person to get around and poor safety for anyone else. Furniture was cheap, nest of 3 tables all broken, one sort of fixed but very badly. Dining chairs had to be tightened up as all legs were loose, one broke as he did it. Sofa bed so nasty better sleeping on the floor. Bathroom was put together by a blind chimp- high level toilet was great, but the basin was too low, too small and had a tap too big, so washing your face was a messy challenge. Shaving mirror was above the sink, 3' above! Shaving light was no where near the sink or mirror.....pointless!
The play park for kids was a health hazard, crazy golf was a bloody joke, again dated and useless.
Clubhouse was good, food great and reasonable, entertainment was dated and poor quality for kids, half hearted but some staff did put some effort in.
No grass areas for kids to kick a ball, not really made to feel kiddy welcome.
I would recommend you look elsewhere if you have children or want some comfort.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Hello Allan

It was such a shame to read your remarks regarding your stay in our gold accommodation, when most reviews on that type of unit paint a totally different picture.

I wonder if you were actually in the correct accommodation or told the park manager of your displeasure, it is always so difficult to deal with the issues after you have returned home. There are a number of serious items in your review that need to be investigated and I will be contacting both you and the park to look into the matter.

Warminster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 June 2014

I booked a very last minute basic cheap studio apartment when I booked in I was handed a key, went to the unit numbered on the key, and it was obviously not a basic unit; went back to check and was told it was the right unit as I was upgraded to a gold apartment on arrival. Very nice ! Well equipped, clean and well laid out. Food from Chef's Corner was excellent for the money charged and the service overall was friendly and efficient. Good free wi-fi.
Shop was expensive but it is what I expect in any small shop; Tesco is within walking distance if you don't want to pay for the convenience of picking up a few bits on site.
Will be visiting again in September if the price is right...

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Keith W
Hello Keith

What a wonderful review, thank you, we really appreciate it. We try our best to cater for all age groups and your review shows that we are getting it right.

Your praise will mean so much to the management and staff at the park. They all work extremely hard to make everyone’s stay enjoyable.

We are delighted to hear that you will be returning and look forward to welcoming you again very soon.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 June 2014

We booked a 2 bed Gold apartment for 3 nights but had to leave after 2 nights, Apartment was dirty,sofa was broken and filthy, shower was leaking,bed linen stank of sweat,dinning room chair was broken, carpets dirty,we paid 208£, for a Gold apartment you expect decent accommodation,we will never go back there again.and i dont recommend to anybody.

2 Thank g137
JohnFowlerHolidays, Guest Relations Manager at Ilfracombe Holiday Park, responded to this review, 29 October 2014
When I first read this very poor review, I immediately tried to contact the writer through the Tripadvisor Messaging service to investigate the issues and to check its validity. Sadly, with all Tripadvisor reviews being anonymous, it is impossible to make direct contact.

To date I have not received a reply to two such messages and I am disappointed that I have not been given the opportunity to put things right. We have to assume from this, that perhaps the holiday was not as bad as originally reported or that the review was not written by a genuine visitor.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ilfracombe
The Bath House Hotel
Sandaway Beach Holiday Park
Sandaway Beach Holiday Park
#6 of 7 in Combe Martin
Combe Martin Beach Holiday Park

Been to Ilfracombe Holiday Park? Share your experiences!