“Disgusting.” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Ilfracombe Holiday Park

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ilfracombe
Ilfracombe Holiday Park
“Disgusting.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

Absolutely disgusted.

After booking a 'gold' apartment i arrived at the holiday park on Friday 1st August with my partner, son and sister in law, looking forward to a couple of nights in a beautiful part of Devon. However, the 'gold' apartment was dirty, old fashioned and had many things broken.

Firstly the front door handle hardly worked and took two of us to open it. This was the same for the bathroom and 2nd bedroom door. The room was supposedly cleaned and checked prior to my stay( according to the receptionist who wouldn't allow us into the room before 1600hrs) i use the term 'cleaned' very loosely as the windows were filthy, the sofa had so many stains on it i couldn't bring myself to even sit on it and the second bedrooms bedding had what looked like dried mucous on it, luckily i bought my own bedding.

After further inspection of the room things got worst. The toilet flush was broken, the heater in bedroom was also broken and one of the chairs around the table was yep you guessed it..... broken. Annoyed i thought it appropriate to raise my concerns to the camp management. I was met at receiption by one of the 'supervisors'( apparently no management were available to speak too...). I listed my grievances and was apologised to and was told maintenence would rectify said faults. 24 hours later the door handle had been fixed... The heater and toilet flush were still broken come my departure on the Monday morning.

Overall ilfracombe holiday park is situated in the perfect location; close to the town, beach, shops etc. However the park itself leaves a lot to be desired. Old fashioned, dirty and down right unsafe with amenities not working or missing. I was massively disappointed with the 'gold' apartment and feel completely lied to about the standard of accommodation. Do yourself a favour, don't even consider this park for your holiday or short break, you WILL be disappointed.

• Stayed August 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
6 Thank Clifton Nichola... L

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

Absolutely disgusted.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Clifton L
JohnFowlerHolidays, Guest Relations Manager at Ilfracombe Holiday Park, responded to this review, 13 August 2014
Hello sir

It was such a shame to read your remarks regarding your stay at our holiday park when most of our guests have a great time.

I can only apologise that the issues you encountered did not seem to be rectified in a timely manner and that you received no apology at that time. It is more often the case that our staff are praised for their friendliness and cheery manner and I am again very sorry that you did not appear to experience this.

I shall be contacting you through the Tripadvisor messaging service and I feel sure that the matter will be settled to everyone’s satisfaction.

Waterlooville, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

Just come back from here and wished I read the reviews the place was old and dated and looked awful.the play park for the kids was a joke (ex council by the look of it) and that was it for the kids to do, thank god for Freddy the fox. On arrival had to wait 4 hours to get into to chalet and when we did my wife was so upset by what we found. Not one mirror in the place having contact lenses and a lady a mirror was a must. Down to reception which was a waste of time it took 3 days to get one and when we did it was placed on the table and left, great with kids around. But luckily next door gave us one a day before as they had 3 mirrors and the other chalet next door had 3 as well and we had none. In the brochure we had a bath we had a walk in shower and having 2 young kids it was hard work. The TV was the size of a tablet with no remote control but they did send someone round but never saw them again (still got a sore finger). But I think the main problem I had was the price I paid it was £700 in total for the week which for that I expect something decent which I didn't get, if I paid £200 I could live with it but I paid top wack and got rubbish which I am really disappointed with. I don't expect anything to come from this from John fowlers as it never does from these sort of places as long as they get their money they don't care. I just feel so gutted as my family were looking forward to this holiday and we were let down by the basics and I just don't want other families going threw what I had too because its not nice.
If John fowler would like to contact me my email is mhoskin1@gmail.com but I won't hold my breath many thanks Mr Hoskin

• 3 of 5 bubbles
      Sleep Quality
3 Thank mark h
Hello Mark

I was shocked to read your remarks regarding your stay at our holiday park. There are a number of very serious items in your review that will certainly not be ignored.

I shall be contacting you shortly and I feel sure that the matter will be settled to everyone’s satisfaction.

andover, hants
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

Dirty, ripped sheets, smallest TV screen in the world, uncomfortable beds, unhelpful reception staff who passed the blame fir our family being split across the camp, when requested to be together. The dishwasher was cleaner closed and there was so much dirt beside the cooker I am sure mr Sam and miss Ella would have said hello. Noisy neighbours who reception staff ignored requests as our 17 month old could not sleep. The worst holiday I have ever been on

Room Tip: Gold was the best, our choice, but very dirty and staff were very helpful
1 Thank fazz76
Hello Fazz

Ruthin, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2014

We have been back to the park 9 times now, the staff are lovely and to be fair I have read the reviews and what other people say. With us our gold apartment was clean , tidy , club house was good , entertainment was good they all work hard. We had a good time. really when you think about you pay for what you get , pay good money get a good chalet simples:-) . and for that one week of the year we pay good money, and BINGO give it a go :-) you just might win we did :-) :-) well done gang, the only thing I can say is there is not much for teenagers to do there but little ones give it a go . REMEMBER pay good money :-)

Room Tip: Pay good money we paid £617.00 for the week. some people played 320.00 for the week and our room was...
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank purplerose916
JohnFowlerHolidays, Guest Relations Manager at Ilfracombe Holiday Park, responded to this review, 7 August 2014
Hello Rose

Thank you very much for leaving us such a fantastic review thank you, we really appreciate it. Your comments have been passed onto all departments.

Your praise will mean so much to the management and staff at the park. They all work extremely hard to make everyone’s stay enjoyable.

We look forward to welcoming you again very soon, - our returning guests are so important to us and are the reason that we have been so successful for the past 60 years.

Essex, Vermont
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

I was dreading our stay after reading terrible reviews and did try to change it however we were in a gold apartment that was pleasantly clean and tidy. ...the club...pool...shop are all clean.....food is nice but could do some healthier options....prices are reasonable. ... young entertainers do a great job and the male singer on sat was fab.....in agreement I think the main entertainment should start earlier....top tip ask for a newer refurbished gold

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Hello Clare

Thank you very much for leaving us such a fantastic review, we really appreciate it. Your comments have been passed to all departments.

The park does not deserve poor reviews and thankfully they are few and far between. We simply do not understand why some people choose to post them, when all the staff work really hard to make everyone feel welcome, as you experienced. However, we are all individuals and we can all have vastly different opinions on the same subject.

I am delighted to hear that you had a great time. Our returning customers are very important to us and we look forward to welcoming you again very soon.

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2014 via mobile

Had a week in the "gold" apartments. We were greeted by a foul smell from a used toilet that obviously hadn't been cleaned for some time! Don't be fooled by the gold apartment at best it was standard. I felt a bit disappointed by the park however it was a great base to explore the beautiful part of Devon. .

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Dave L
JohnFowlerHolidays, Guest Relations Manager at Ilfracombe Holiday Park, responded to this review, 29 October 2014
When I first read this very poor review, I immediately tried to contact the writer through the Tripadvisor Messaging service to investigate the issues and to check its validity. Sadly, with all Tripadvisor reviews being anonymous, it is impossible to make direct contact.

To date I have not received a reply to two such messages and I am disappointed that I have not been given the opportunity to put things right. We have to assume from this, that perhaps the holiday was not as bad as originally reported or that the review was not written by a genuine visitor.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ilfracombe
The Royal Britannia
#2 of 26 in Ilfracombe
Manleigh Park
Manleigh Park
#3 of 8 in Combe Martin

Been to Ilfracombe Holiday Park? Share your experiences!