“Happy family holiday”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ilfracombe
Ilfracombe Holiday Park
Milton Keynes, England, United Kingdom
“Happy family holiday”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2014

Was a little worried given some of the reviews about the park, but we have all had a fabulous time. I really have to defend the Stripey's they were amazing - their kids activities were well planned, themed, fun and managed to engage preschoolers to teenagers. Children were really upset about their holiday ending because of the Stripey's. The evening kids club started at a good time, running from 6 to 7pm. One evening they has Coobe Martin Wildlife Centre in and the children got to stroke a cockroach, snake, baby rabbit and see a penguin.
Accomodation was clean, kitchen of a very high standard. Beds were comfortable, only moan would be the sofa which was uncomfortable, but this is a very minor thing.
Great range of activities to do off site as well as it is ain a great location.
Well worth what we paid and would efinitely go back again.

Room Tip: Go for a Gold apartment
1 Thank ian s
JohnFowlerHolidays, Guest Relations Manager at Ilfracombe Holiday Park, responded to this review, 25 August 2014
Thank you very much for leaving us such a fantastic review, we really appreciate it. Your comments have been passed to all departments.

The park does not deserve poor reviews and thankfully they are few and far between. We simply do not understand why some people choose to post them, when all the staff work really hard to make everyone feel welcome, as you experienced. However, we are all individuals and we can all have vastly different opinions on the same subject.

We are extremely proud of our entertainments team this year, the effort they put in is amazing. They are all doing a brilliant job, and work extremely hard to ensure everyone has a great holiday.

I am delighted to hear that you had a great time. Please come back and see us again, our returning customers are very important to us.

Guest Relations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (173)
Hungerford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2014

Our silver star apartment was superb. I think it had recently been redecorated. It was completely clean, and smelt lovely as we opened the door. The mattresses appeared to be brand new (I had taken mattress covers just in case). The water was boiling hot, the furniture was new and clean, and we couldn't fault anything at all.

We had read the bad reviews on this site after we'd booked, and we'd feared the worse.

However, we had a really good experience. We were fortunate in that we were placed in an apartment at the far end of the site. It was very peaceful, and only a short walk down to the amenities. Number 134!!

The staff were all extremely friendly, especially the chap who runs the cafe/bistro. The food there was exceptionally good, and great value. Expect a bit of a wait for your food. He doesn't employ extra staff so that he can keep the cost of the meals very low. We bought newspapers from the site shop to tide us over as we waited. The food is worth waiting for. We are planning to return in Spring next year, and we'll be asking for Number 134!

Room Tip: Rooms at the north side
1 Thank Gill H
Hello Gill

Thank you very much for leaving us such a fantastic 5 star review, we really appreciate it. Your comments have been passed on to all departments.

We do take great pride in the standard of all grades of accommodation and our customer care. It’s brilliant that this isn’t going unnoticed. Your comments will be passed on to the whole park team.

Our returning customers are so important to us, they regularly make up 50% of our visitors and we look forward to welcoming you again very soon.

Basildon, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2014

We were so disappointed. We paid £850for a chalet that didn't have a shower, tiny dirty kitchen where cutlery was kept under the sink and smelled. The whole site needs completely updating. If you want a week on a grim council estate, go for it!

7 Thank nancy s
JohnFowlerHolidays, Guest Relations Manager at Ilfracombe Holiday Park, responded to this review, 5 September 2014
Hello Nancy

I was saddened to read your thoughts regarding your stay at our holiday park. Unfortunately, there are one or two items in your review which are quite worrying.

I wonder if you told the park manager or head office of your displeasure while you were there, it is always so difficult to deal with the issues after you have returned home. It is so much easier to deal with the problems while you are on the park – you could be moved to another park. If you were unhappy with anything, tell the manager – there is no need to “grin and bear” it on a John Fowler Holiday.

I am really surprised at the misunderstanding about the lack of a shower, when all our publicity, brochure and on line, and that of our agents, Hoseasons, through whom you booked this holiday, clearly state that these chalets have a bath only.

With regard to the "out of date" comments, no doubt you noticed that the park is in the midst of a complete re-vamp. 50% of the apartments are new, the clubhouse was totally rebuilt recently. as was reception, the swimming pools and the shop have had a makeover and many of the older chalets are being refurbished and brought up to gold standard. As you will appreciate, such a massive investment does not happen overnight.

I understand that you have been in touch with your agent and that the matter has been settled to everyone's satisfaction

Guest Relations Manager

Travellers are raving about these Ilfracombe hotels

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014

We stayed at this site last week (Monday - Friday).check in was at 4 but we arrived an hour early and our apartment was ready. We went with friends who were in the apartment next door to us. We booked a silver apartment. I was very disappointed with how small and dated the apartment was! The sofa was like something from the 1950s and extremely uncomfortable to sleep on! The handles on the side of the bath literally came off in your in hand.. We plugged the toaster in and it tripped the electric everytime you pushed the handle down. Our friends next door had to fill the toilet systern up with a bucket full of water each time one of them needed the loo! Also the switch in their kettle was broke which ment they had to stand there and hold the button down until it boiled. Their sofa bed was also very uncomfortable. We visited the childrens park.. What can I say! Absolute Rubbish and again dated! The entertainment was OK. We enjoyed Bingo but got very frustrated with the girl calling out the numbers, she found something hilarious which left us waiting for 5 mins whilst she composed herself! The staff seemed to find something funny amongst them selfs every night at Bingo! The childeren wanted a slush puppy, it was 7pm and we were told to come back at 8 as the machine hadn't been turned back on that long ago.. 8 o'clock comes... Ask for a slush puppy only to be told it still wasn't ready! I said how come other people have slush puppies on their tables? Our reply was "they were from earlier" ! Yea right! This happened 2 nights on the trot! We just kept getting fobbed off. You would've thought that they would've topped the machine up and turned it on ready for the nights entertainment! If we wernt with friends then we too would probably have left and went home. I'm so glad I've stayed at the coombe Martin site on various occasions because if the ilfracombe site had been my first john fowler holiday then I'm 100% sure that I would never go on one again! I won't be staying here again. Sandaway Beach (coombe Martin) all the way for us! We love it

• Stayed August 2014
JohnFowlerHolidays, Guest Relations Manager at Ilfracombe Holiday Park, responded to this review, 21 August 2014
Hello Emma

It was such a shame to read your remarks regarding your stay at our holiday park. It was obvious from your comments that the Holiday Park was not to your taste.

However, I am delighted to hear how much you enjoy Sandaway and we look forward to welcoming you again quite soon.

Cardiff, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014 via mobile

John fowler holiday park what can I say. I can literally only say that it was okay? Its not the worst place I've ever been (that was pontins brean) but it wasnt as good as I expected.

First impressions were okay. We drove in to the park and it could've had a lick of paint in a few places but it looked very decent and like a very nice family holiday. My mother and myself went to the main reception at 15:05 to collect the key for our GOLD challet which should've firstly been ready at 15:00. The staff at reception were very rude and told us that it would be ready at 15:30 which was disappointing especially after a three hour car journey. As we were all hungry after our car journey we decided to eat our lunch in the reception area which was not actually allowed as we were rudely informed by the reception lady. At half past we got our key to our chalet and made our way to our room.

The chalet was very clean which was very important especially after being traumatised by pontins brean sands. As a gold chalet I expect slightly better. It looked rather standard apart from the cleanliness of the place. We had a very nice fireplace thing in the room which was a nice touch and a DVD tv. The bed was easy to sleep in and the oven had never been used. The complaints I had about the room were that there was hair in the plughole for the shower which was disgusting and the toilet seat was wobbly which was also horrible.

The evening entertainment was okay but definitely not my family's cup of tea. Its definitely more for a family with younger children. First there was games for the young children, then adult and children bingo and then some more entertainment? We went back to the chalet after bingo almost every night. The stripeys were very entertaining especially aaron who deserves praise! Also the bar staff were very pleasant! We also went to the swimming pool which was very nice but maybe it should have a slide or something? It didnt open on time either which meant waiting another half an hour. Not the best holiday I went on but very good for young people.

Also forgot to mention that one night a police officer knocked on our door asking if we saw anyone stealing which scared us all and reading other reviews it seems as though this place has a burglary problem? The nearby shop was very good and had very good deals.

• Stayed August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write such a fair and honest review.

Your constructive criticism is being passed on to the park manager so that improvements may be made in the interest of future guests.

We really hope to see you again in the near future.

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014

Disgusting.....so bad we didn't stay the night....I booked through hoeseasons. I was told I would be getting a manor apartment. We arrived early (I thought check in was 3, but it was 4), the receptionist was rude from the get go telling us to come back at the correct time. When we eventually booked in, we found out our apartment wasn't even on site, but a 5 minute walk down the road. From the outside the building looked quite nice, but looks are very deceiving, there was no staff on this site, and we had to find the room. We found it upstairs (past the broken sofas), there was musty smell about the place. Our room old tired dated. The furniture was broken, the beds like concrete. One window only had half a curtain, the other windows curtain was half hanging off. The oven door handle was broken. There was a table but only 1 chair!!!!! No mod cons. The place basically needed gutting and renovating.

1 Thank Annaofthedawn
Hello Anna

It never ceases to amaze me when I am reading these reviews that there can be such a diversity of opinion on the same subject. One review is 5 star the next is just one – obviously we will never know why.

I am sorry the park was not to your taste but as you were able to see, it is a very popular place. The apartment was in constant use prior to your arrival with no problems.

Oxford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014

Myself and my partner booked to go three days before, we got a fantastic discount and wasn't expecting much. The town it's self is a stunning little town and we was pleasantly surprised by how friendly the locals are. We checked in at about 5pm and was greeted by a really friendly reception team whom were very professional and attentive, I would like to pay particular tribute to Sam (I think that was her name). Upon entering our room we was pleasantly shocked. After reading the earlier reviews we were expecting a cave. Our room (236) was brilliant and we could not fault it. We went to the on site entertainment that night and was met with a brilliant atmosphere. The bar was being run superbly and we were looked after by a customer service driven team of bar staff. They even remembered our round. Jane really stood out.

It's now that I am going to move to the entertainment team. The team is headed by a very talented individual called Adam, our first experience of the team was watching a show they performed in on the Friday night. It was my understanding that this was a very new show. You could not however have faulted it. Throughout our 7 days we attended almost every night and was thrilled with quality that the entertainment team provided. I was fortunate enough to have participated in one of the game shows and also took part in the talent competition (which I unfortunately came second lol). During our stay we felt that the entertainment team really made us feel welcome and because if that we actually extended our stay for an extra weekend. I would like to pay tribute to all six entertainers (Adam, Molly, Katie, Arron, Keiron and the lovely little one whose name escapes me) they truly are extremely tallented and I look forward to being entertained again.

I would like to say that I understand that some people have written some not so nice reviews. I would like to dispell some of those and would honesltly go back at the drop of a hat.

Regards
Matt & Ila

Room Tip: Always go gold, we were in 236
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Matt C
Hello Matt

Guest Relations Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ilfracombe
The Royal Britannia
Sandaway Beach Holiday Park
Sandaway Beach Holiday Park
#5 of 8 in Combe Martin
Combe Martin Beach Holiday Park

Been to Ilfracombe Holiday Park? Share your experiences!