“Easter break in the sunshine......”

Hidden Valley Touring & Camping Park
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Easter break in the sunshine......”
Reviewed 24 April 2014

We paid for a "Premier" pitch & the price £30, was worth it, on reflection; it should, in my opinion include the wi-fi access for the duration of our stay though, which is "extra" on top of the £30. It would have made our stay a more relaxing experience.
The site is situated 4 miles from Ilfracombe, 5 miles from Barnstaple & the bus stop, right outside the site, allowed us to explore both towns.
The grounds were kept clean & tidy, water from the showers & taps was Hot, not just warm.
Staff were helpful & worked hard to make our stay a pleasant one.
Try it for yourself..........

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Taunton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 April 2014

stayed here for the first time in our camper van. lovely and peacefull
tv hook up a brilliant idea.will definitely come again. will stay for longer,
just wish the loo was closer as not keen on walking to the loo in the dark

1 Thank thorne216
Seaton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 April 2014

All the staff were chatty and happy. The site was full but didn't feel too busy. On site shop and restaurant were fine. Shower and toilet block was excellent and surprisingly quiet. Lots of very large motor homes dwarfed our bongo but did mean most people were self sufficient and so the facilities were quiet. Our 2 year old enjoyed this as his first camping trip. Would recommend and will come again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Crewkerne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 April 2014

This site is situated in a lovely valley with good nature pathways and a good bus service from the entrance. The toilet block was always clean and warm with plenty of hot water and free hairdryer. For us the thing that let it down was the state of the roads which are badly in need of repair, in fact while out walking I slipped off the edge of a pothole and badly damaged my knee. There is only one shower block for 3 levels of motorhomes/caravans and although this didn't cause a problem while we were there I am not sure how this one block would cope in high summer. The location is good with plenty of places to visit.

Room Tip: Choose the cheaper pitches otherwise you will have quite a walk to the shower block
1 Thank SKItraveller50
HiddenValleyManager, Manager at Hidden Valley Touring & Camping Park, responded to this review, 25 April 2014
Dear SKItraveller50,
Thank you so much for leaving us some feedback from your recent holiday with us.

I’m really pleased to read that you thought the park is in a lovely setting and that the shower block was clean and warm.

I am really terribly sorry that you thought the roads let the park down. I do believe that the roads are currently our only weakness. The amount of rainfall over winter has not helped our roads (like many county council’s roads). We have committed to re-tarmacking large sections of our road layout each year, and have 50 tons of tarmac on standby for a hot dry week – unfortunately, we were unable to do this during the hot weather just before Easter, as we had too many people on-site.
I am really sad to read that you damaged your knee. To my knowledge there are no pot holes big enough to slip in-to, but it’s a shame you didn’t let me know when you were here, so I could make an emergency repair on that particular pot-hole to save anyone from the same misfortune. I will have this looked into today to make a repair.

The shower block - for the three terraces – serves only 48 touring pitches, which is well above the quantity of showers stipulated by Quality in Tourism aka Visit England. Over the Easter holidays we were 100% full on the park, so if the quantity didn’t, as you say cause a problem during this busy time, there is no reason why it would be in the height of Summer.

Thank you once again for taking the time to write a review, as I say your feedback is most helpful as this helps us improve our service.

We hope to see you again soon.

Richard Legg
Sandhurst, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 April 2014

My wife and I stayed at Hidden Valley in our motorhome over the Easter break. The welcome on arriving was pleasant, friendly and informative as were all other interactions we had with staff over the 6 nights we were there.

The site is a great location and the pitches are good, in picturesque terms, although I was surprised that the fully paved pitch we were on wasn't level!! Water pressure was extremely low, sometimes almost a zero flow rate. However, the thing that disappointed us most was the quality and number of the showers and toilet facilities, which need to be improved. Also at night the lighting was almost non-existent and made the trip to the facilities interesting - there is a real need for better lighting, this includes the chemical waste point we used which had no working light.

For getting out and about it is well located and there is an excellent bus service from right outside the site. We also used our bikes a lot and as long as you plan your route carefully, so as to avoid some horrendous hills, it is a good and safe area for cycling.

Would we go back? - for us the answer is I doubt it, but if you have kids give it a go as there are some great outdoor play areas to keep them entertained.

Hi Philip,
Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review. We welcome all feedback as this helps us improve our service to you.

I am really glad to see you thought the park is picturesque and in a good location. I am very sorry that the pitch wasn’t level enough for you; some pitches are built to have a slight slope so that rain water runs off easily and quickly.
Regarding the water pressure, I’m very sorry to read that the pressure was low, I can only assume this was a busy times of day and because the site was full. However, this is no excuse, so again I apologise. We are in the process of installing our own borehole water supply which should fix any pressure issues.

I’m very saddened to see that you were disappointed by the quality of the showers. All the showers we have on the park have a thermostatic control, are modern, hot and free flowing; the décor meets Quality in Tourism’s 5 star guidelines, so I’m sorry that you were disappointed. The quantity of showers and toilets are well above the recommendation of Quality in Tourism and the AA, who award the 5 stars / 5 pennants.

Regarding the street lighting, we try not to have too-much lighting, as we have a very rare Horseshoe Bat nesting in the area. I do think the lighting is more than sufficient; however I take note of your comments and bear them in mind. I’m very sorry the light in the chemical waste point wasn’t working, and will have this looked into today.

Thank you once again Philip for giving us your feedback, all of which I take on board and will use in future improvements to the park.

Yours,
Richard Legg
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 April 2014

Felt very at home & relaxed on this site, which was the first time for us, good size pitches, clean shower/toilet blocks, surrounded by woodland, streams, wildlife....good place to stop and smell the roses or pine tree aroma!...def going back soon ..

Taunton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 April 2014

As with most people i can often be a little reluctant to try new sites, especially when you have a select few that you like to re-visit, however I am really glad we tried this site. We visited the site as a group of 10 (family a 5, couples and friends) over the Easter bank holiday, as you would expect the site was pretty well full, having said that the pitches are so generously large and well spaced out that it didn't feel busy at all. The grounds of the site offered much entertainment for the younger ones with a couple of parks, the streams and the woods. As for the adults and dog there were nice walks and a large field for a few slightly competitive games. I would say the site is very long and quite narrow as it travels through the valley, you don't really get justice from the park map on the actual size of the place.That said you didn't have to go far for your amenities (apart from the central shop/reception). The toilets and shower block are well located in each of the areas, featuring what I must say are the best camping showers ive used, electric hook ups and tv hook ups behind the pitch & new to me, a drinking water tap and drain behind each pitch we had. Overall very very impressed with this little site, I can appreciate what some people have said about a needing a lick of paint or a touch up here and there, but with all the positives of the site and the very friendly staff these can be easily overlooked. Definitely planning a return visit soon. Almost forgot to mention/reiterate what everyone else has said regarding how clean this place is,it is spotless.

Room Tip: Can only comment on Kingfisher meadow, but it was lovely and peaceful and very spacious.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank JJH25
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ilfracombe
Saunton Sands Hotel
#13 of 20 in Ilfracombe
Hele Valley Holiday Park
Hele Valley Holiday Park
#2 of 25 in Ilfracombe

Been to Hidden Valley Touring & Camping Park? Share your experiences!