“All year open surfing base”

Hidden Valley Touring & Camping Park
“All year open surfing base”
Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

Good, clean site. Bring a Co ax lead for TV. Friendly owners, nice vibe. I would suggest one improvement, a drying room for wet suits even if it was feed the meter but the site isn't much used by surfers.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Idlesurfer

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Braintree, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 June 2014 via mobile

We stayed over May half term with three young children and two dogs it did not stop raining while were there despite this we had a fantastic time.
The pitches are massive we have a large 8 berth tent and it accommodated it comfortably Despite the poor weather the grass pitch held out well
The location of the site is beautiful and you feel really secluded.
The kids loved it the play areas were fantastic and they loved playing in the stream
The staff were polite and helpful and the facilities clean and reasonably modern.
Plenty to do in the sorrounding area with some lovely beaches and would consider returning though we like to try and visit different places.

Stayed May 2014
1 Thank Fingeojas
Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 June 2014

Having stayed at Hidden Valley several times, I've seen lots of improvements made, the most recent being the toilet / shower block in the meadow, it has always being very clean and tidy, and now, with the music, I find myself singing along in the shower, it's great! All the staff are so very friendly and helpful, it seems like a second home to me and can't wait to go again, which, hopefully will be very soon, whether they want me or not!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Pauline F
Nantwich, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 June 2014

I am disappointed at the recent less than glowing reviews. This campsite is fabulous. I would highly recommend Hidden Valley, the pitches are a great size, the wardens are super friendly and the Legg family go out of their way to help make sure everyone has a great holiday, nothing is too much trouble. The site is so pretty and a lot of time is spent investing and looking after the site. The toilet blocks are fab, always warm and clean, the walks around the park are lovely. There is a well stocked shop and a recently opened restaurant/bar, two childrens play areas and a stream for the kids to play in, along with loads of wildlife, its such a family friendly happy site. Please dont hesitate to book a stay at Hidden Valley, you will not be disappointed, it is simply fab!!!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Megjakemolkara
Reviewed 8 June 2014

Our caravan is kept in storage at this site and we come to use it as often as possible. I was shocked to read a couple of bad reviews about it as I think the site is fantastic. The staff cannot do enough for us whenever we come, they are so helpful, and with us being quite new to caravanning we certainly ask a lot of questions!! Most camp sites I have stayed at, before finding this one, were very strict about vacating your pitch at the designated time, thankfully the team here are not at all - again, with us being relatively new to this, it took us longer than we anticipated to pack away! The code we are given for the gate runs out at the time you are supposed to leave by, but with a quick wave to a member of staff, the gate is opened with no questions asked!!
I feel we have been very fortunate in finding this campsite and we look forward to many more holidays and weekends away during the year!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Jorussell2u
North Devon, England
Reviewed 2 June 2014

We stayed for 2 nights on fully serviced pitch which at £56 was the most expensive site we have stayed at and that was discounted by £3. Having to vacate the pitch by 10.30 was a pain and the exit gate wouldn't work, we were told this was because we were 10 minutes late vacating!! The entrance road was badly maintained and our caravan bottomed out on the way in. The road above the site is really noisy and we were awoken by traffic at 5.40 in the morning. Toilet block was clean but quite a walk from the pitch. I can't see this as a 5 star site, would I stay again, no there are much better sites in North Devon

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
5 Thank Chevette
HiddenValleyManager, Manager at Hidden Valley Touring & Camping Park, responded to this review, 10 June 2014
Dear Chevette,
Many thanks for writing a review of your stay, and I’m sorry that the weather wasn’t good for your stay with Colsey last week.
All reviews and feedback is particularly helpful, as this helps us to improve the park and our service.

We have five different sizes of pitches available with five different prices, this ensures that we offer a holiday for everyones budget. I understand that your unhappiness stems from some members of your party wanting to upgrade to a more expensive pitch, and that this wasn’t suited to everyone in your party. If you do not have school children in your party then I recommend staying in low or mid season where you would be paying from just £10 per night.

For security reasons, it is necessary for your electronic gate code to expire later in the day on your day of departure, I am very sorry if this caused you inconvenience, and as I said to Colsey below, I’m very sorry if you thought the 10:30 check-out time (which is standard across most parks) was strictly enforced.

I am very sorry indeed that you thought the road near the site was noisy. I am very surprised to read that you were awoken during the night. This is very unusual and can only imagine perhaps a local farmer drove past early to start harvesting, again I apologise.

I am very sorry to hear that the shower block was too far from your pitch. Most of our customers would agree that walking past nine pitches isn’t too far from the shower and toilet block. Had you have mentioned this during your stay, I would have been more than happy to try and move you to a pitch nearer to the shower block.

I am truly sorry once again you didn’t enjoy your stay.

Richard
Somerset
Reviewed 2 June 2014 via mobile

Not a great start when you are making a enquiry and they are quite abrupt and rude over the phone.
V expensive, not enough facilities for the size of the site.
Have to be off site for 10.30 prompt!!
Cannot cancel even due to hospital admission as no refunds!!! Unless you want to claim on your holiday insurance!!!
Will never return and will certainly not recommend!!!
What a shame as many years ago this was a excellent site, it has certainly gone down hill....,

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
6 Thank colsey
HiddenValleyManager, Manager at Hidden Valley Touring & Camping Park, responded to this review, 3 June 2014
Dear Colsey
Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review of your weekend stay. We welcome all reviews, as this helps us to improve our park and improve our service to you.
I am very sad to read that you thought we were rude and abrupt during your initial telephone call. We always aim to be as friendly and helpful with every customer interaction, particularly your first phone call. I can only image you misinterpreted this?

I am surprised to see that you thought your pitch was expensive. Our price structure is in line with 4 star parks in North Devon, and cheaper than any other 5 star or 5 pennant park in the area.

Unfortunately, you have given me no indications of which extra facilities you would like on the park. Swimming pools, crazy golf and such facilities are not suited to our park so not present. If your comment is regarding quantity of showering and toilet facilities, then the only way I can comment is that Visit England/Quality in Tourism states that a 5 star park with 100 pitches should have 8 showers across the whole park – we have 17 shared between two shower blocks – almost double the recommended amount. Since your last stay many years ago, we have increased the quantity of showers, and reduced the amount of pitches, so the ratios are now better than ever.

For your arrival convenience, it is necessary to have a check-out time earlier than the check-in time. This is so that we can have your pitch ready for your arrival. Although our check out time is 10:30am (similar to most parks), we do not enforce this at all and I am sorry if you thought you had to be off site promptly.

Unfortunately, we are unable to refund if a booking is cancelled at short notice, especially during school holidays. However, we are always more than happy to move your booking to accommodate your hospital visits if we can. As you mention, we do offer holiday insurance which is designed for these situations. This information is all contained in our terms and conditions, which we suggest you read prior to booking.

I am greatly saddened to read that you thought the park had gone downhill since your last visit. Our returning customers that represent 60% of our business usually comment that the park looks better and better each year.

I am very sorry once again that you didn’t enjoy your visit, and do hope that we will see you again the future.

Richard
Hidden Valley
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ilfracombe
Saunton Sands Hotel
Unison Croyde Bay Holiday Resort
Mullacott Farm
Mullacott Farm
#20 of 52 in Ilfracombe

Been to Hidden Valley Touring & Camping Park? Share your experiences!