“Really would advise against this campsite!!!”

Hidden Valley Touring & Camping Park
Dorchester, United Kingdom
“Really would advise against this campsite!!!”
Reviewed 16 August 2010

Went to this campsite for a long weekend very recently and we should have guessed we were in for a bad weekend by the response one of the staff gave us when we first arrived. When asked if there was any where at the campsite where we could have a game of cricket or football we were abruptly told "No, go to the beach!" which in my opinion is very rude!

The campsite at night was very noisy, not only was it placed right next to a main road which we could hear all night but other people that were there were playing music well into the night and standing outside of there tents smoking and making jokes ( not a great environment for children to be in).

There was also a huge problem with lighting there in that the street lights were not dimmed or turned off all night so we all found it very difficult to get to sleep!

The facilities at this campsite were not very good either in the toilets half the taps were broken and wouldn't stop running and the other half wouldn't work at all!

The staff there really should I think learn about customer service as they clearly have had no training what so ever in this!! They were abusive towards us and had no intentions to make any kind of effort with us at all which was very wrong considering the amount of money we had spent there!

Really not a great place for people with young children as staff were very unfriendly and the play park there was not much for the imagination! Also not one for those who are under 40 either as staff are very unwelcoming and were given a curfew for 10 o'clock by them.

Beautiful area though and would highly recommend going to a different campsite in the area which i know there are plenty of and all will be most welcoming and helpful as well!!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with friends
5 Thank 5pgirl

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Reviewed 13 August 2010

I arrived late (15mins after reception closed) due to an accident enroute and was advised that I shall follow the warden who would take me to my caravan pitch. It wasn't at all as described to me when I booked the site 2 months earlier. I had 2 small children with me and the site had 'cliffs' either side of the pitch. The cliffs were approx 4 feet and could have seriously injured my grandchildren if they'd fallen.
The warden after my complaining told me that was the only pitching option. I told him to speak to his boss and find a better 'option' having driven for several hours and stuck in traffic we were all very tired and just wanted to stop. Hidden Valley's advert indicates
'relax in the wooded Eco environment and enjoy a different holiday'. It was different alright.
The pitch he found us which hadn't existed (!) was still not what I had been led to believe was ours when booking but we decided to pitch anyway. The following morning I went to see the owner/manager (Carole as she happens to be called) but first had to tell my story to the other manager and his
assistant who told me that there was a mistake ! Apparently (my name is Moore) I wasn't Mr. Norman whose pitch I was given on arrival !?! The warden had never asked my name the day before. And they were sorry. I told them that that wasn't acceptable and demanded to speak to the owner (Carole). She arrived and told me it wasn't her fault as she'd taken over the business six weeks earlier and the previous owner was to blame for all the problems caused. I didn't care. I wanted to know why they hadn't told me before I arrived. I also wanted to know why they had no record of my payment for the 'holiday' ? Almost £300 for 5 nights stay ! They had emailed me to tell me to pay the remaining balance (again) of the booking but had forgotten to mention then, that they had 'changed hands'. They had no answer for that. Almost every time I left the site to go off to the beach each day I had to punch a code into the entrance/exit gate. It failed to work at least 4 times and when my daughter-in-law left with my grandchildren as she'd had enough 2 days before us the site owners cancelled my code and had thought
we had left as well(!). They only had to notice our caravan was still in place.
My compensation was either 2 nights free stay in September (no chance - why would I want to go back !?!) OR cream teas for all ! Carole refused to refund any money as it was the previous owners fault no hers !!!
Don't go there. You have been warned.

• Stayed August 2010
6 Thank tootalltony
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ilfracombe
Saunton Sands Hotel
Unison Croyde Bay Holiday Resort
Mullacott Farm
Mullacott Farm
#20 of 52 in Ilfracombe

Been to Hidden Valley Touring & Camping Park? Share your experiences!