“A consistent quality experiance”
Review of Plantagenet House

Plantagenet House
Ranked #12 of 116 Restaurants in Tenby
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Hereford, United Kingdom
“A consistent quality experiance”
Reviewed 25 June 2014

With now an annual and regular visit to the delightful town of Tenby with like minded friends to enjoy the Pembrokeshire countryside, the Saturday regular booking has become a visit to this quaint and atmospheric restaurant in the middle of Tenby town.

Not an over extensive menu but good local quality ingredients, from starters through the main course to puddings. Clearly home cooking emphasis delivered in a professional manner with attentive and good staffing standards.

An adult directed type of restaurant from a dinner experience, where a reservation is certainly recommended as we have never experienced any thing other than a full restaurant, though I would add we have only been there at week ends.

Five visits and five very enjoyable evenings and suits both fish lovers and good old fashioned carnivore's as my self with a more than acceptable wine menu at reasonable prices. Not inexpensive but very much worth while for the purpose we use it and consistency is very much appreciated.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank Greg F

Pontardulais, Wales, United Kingdom
“Overpriced and disappointing”
Reviewed 25 June 2014

The first time we went there we left a little disappointed, but thought we'd try again as its such a nice venue, however I think the food was worse than the first time, I had soup for a starter which was ok but bland and a little salty, for main I had sea bass and what I think was creamed rice , it was awful and cost £25, I didn't risk getting a dessert. Very overpriced and well , just rubbish, won't ever go again.

• Visited June 2014
London, United Kingdom
“Toto, we aren't in London anymore!”
Reviewed 22 June 2014

This is probably the most expensive restaurant in Tenby. At least, at £24.95 for rack of Welsh lamb and desserts at £6.50, I should hope so. Those are London prices. Situated in a quaint alley next to the Tudor House, the setting and interior promise a delightful evening. Well, up to a point. We had personally spoken to, presumably, the owner to book - except they had no record when we arrived and I think, as a result, we were given a somewhat poky table in the back room. Undaunted, we reviewed the extensive menu, and specials, settling on crab bisque and pate to start followed by sea bass on a risotto with chorizo and samphire and rack of lamb in a reduction with gratin dauphinois - my favourite. The bisque was good - rich and crabby. The pate was under-seasoned - even for me and I take very, very little salt in anything. Accompaniments were fine. It was the main courses which confirmed that this place has a talented chef who lacks confidence in his own ingredients and skill. The sea bass was fresh and perfectly cooked.- although the samphire was unaccountably missing (we can tell the difference between that and cress!). The risotto was excellent -inventive and well-balanced. But why, O why, serve it with footballs of carrots? Totally redundant and left on the plate. Redundancy was evident in the lamb dish as well. Perfectly pink cutlets, full of flavour; soft, creamy dauphinois - all swimming in sauce which completely destroyed the texture of the potato. And in addition, a forest of broccoli and a peculiarly emaciated carrot which had been pulled from its Mother Earth far too early to bother with. What would have been superb local ingredients cooked to perfection turned into a dog's dinner of a mess. Looking around at other tables, it seems that the theme continued - plates drowned in gravy (see another review which says the same) and mounds of extraneous vegetables. We tried dessert - chocolate torte and a panacotta. Both unremarkable.

Maybe that is what Tenby diners want - huge plates of food. If so, then you get your money's worth. Which is just as well at £50 a head with a coke and two glasses of wine. My advice to the owner - less is more.

• Visited May 2014
Solihull, United Kingdom
“Great treat”
Reviewed 18 June 2014 via mobile

Visited tonight for my husbands birthday. The food was fantastic and big portions too. The prices for the sizes, taste and choice are good. The staff were very good.

1 Thank Terrie D
Manchester, United Kingdom
“superb”
Reviewed 16 June 2014

I had dressed crab salad,my partner had a rack of lamb both were faultless. The desserts were to die for ,worth every penny .very attentive staff,Would recommend you to pay a visit

• Visited June 2014