“Finally some healthy food! Good typical british”

The Five Arches Tavern
Ranked #25 of 128 Restaurants in Tenby
Price range: US$8 - US$33
Cuisines: British
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 31 August 2012

we have been welcomed by friendly and very professional staff into a well maintained restaurant.
maybe due to our late arrival, restaurant was pretty empty, which helped in terms of the speed of service.
Restaurant is the typical pub-restaurant, very clean and well kept, though atmosphere cannot be considered "romantic".
Food was delicious, and very big portions compared to prices (plates in photos didnot cost more than 10£).
and finally....some healthy vegetables different than potatos!!
best rated: quality of food vs price
less rated: atmosphere...might not be appropriate if you want to spend a romantic dinner with your partner

Reviewed 30 August 2012

I went here with my husband and children for lunch. The pub looks nice from the outside with hanging baskets, but inside it's just plain grotty. The kids had a lamb roast dinner and I requested mashed potatoes instead of new potatoes. The lady behind the bar said 'no, because we only do mash with sausages and if I let you have it then I would have to let everyone have them' Eh? So the request is popular then? Also, I thought I was a paying customer in a pub, not at school. The veg was over-cooked and my husband's curry was straight out of a jar. Awful.

1  Thank SALLYCAHILL
sueTenby, Owner at The Five Arches Tavern, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2012

Thankyou for your review,

We always welcome feedback from our costumers, be it negative or positive.
I would like to point out to you, that over the last 6 weeks we have turned over thousands of meals from our kitchen, not hundreds but thousands, and this is the only complaint I have had, so perhaps that's why we are in the top ten eating places in Tenby.
I really wish you would have found the time to speak to me in person on the day in question, and perhaps I could have put things right for you.
It does state on our menu that the curry is not home-made, we use a sauce with freshly cook chicken breast.
We only do prepare a certain amount of mash potatoes to go with sausage and mash, that's why we don't offer it with the roast dinners, our roast dinners come with boiled and roast potatoes, and this has never been a problem with any of our customers before.
I would also like to point out that we have been awarded 5***** from the environmental health for the cleanliness of our premises.
I do apologise that we didn't meet your expectations, but having red the reviews you have given other places in Tenby, then perhaps Tenby isn't for you, and I'm sorry you had so many complains not just about my pub, but other places too.
Thankyou, Sue

Reviewed 29 August 2012 via mobile

Came to the Five Arches as it was recommended on Trip Advisor.  We had the roast beef dinner and it was pleasant enough not the best I've ever had but very far from the worst. The service was quick and perfunctory, the atmosphere was family friendly, the portions generous and it was served piping hot which would have pleased my gran no end but despite this The Five Arches is never going to set the culinary world on fire.

Reviewed 27 August 2012

Had a nice meal here, portions are huge so plenty to eat. Food was hot and tasty. I had scampi and hubby had the vegetarian dish, both delicious.

Reviewed 24 August 2012

We had a meal here last year which was excellent and on a day trip, knew exactly where to go for lunch. My wife is a very fussy eater and this is the only place where she is happy to eat so if she can eat here, any one can (she had the roast beef and yorkshire pud!). The kids menu isn't very extensive but is a huge plateful, enough for an adult if I'm honest. Excellent quality, good tasting food and the staff are so helpful too, what more can you ask for?