“The Paddock Inn”

Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“The Paddock Inn”
Reviewed 28 October 2013

A warm welcome from JP and the staff, we could take out dog inside which is a must for us. Would highly recommend the Paddock Inn if you are staying nearby or just passing through.

• Visited October 2013

Penally, United Kingdom
“appalling”
Reviewed 10 October 2013

Fake Thai food out of the freezer- they have a real oriental chef but still got the food wrong!!!! Bad beer, bad atmosphere, bad bad bad. Shame it's our local

Visited November 2012
Emma T, Manager at The Paddock Inn, responded to this review, 25 October 2013
Thank you for the review, a little dated as I understand the Thai chef left with the rest of the staff & old owners back in October 2012....We are new local managers & since May 2013 we have given the place a new decor, exhibiting artwork & freshened it up...traditional pub grub, no microwave thai dishes & a more relaxing atmosphere & open all year round now, so hopefully you might pop in to your local and enjoy our friendly welcome in the NEW Paddock Inn.
South Wales
“The Paddock....A Bit Of A Wet Haddock!”
Reviewed 18 September 2013

Oh! Dear...another pub which advertises itself, with a plethora of roadside signage, as "open all day" and catering to families etc etc But when we arrived at 2.30pm on a wet September afternoon rather hungry and looking for a cosy welcome and a spot of late lunch, we were greeted by an attractive but empty bar, and a very pleasant manager/owner who informed us that food was not served before 4pm as it was "out of season"...my hunger was very much in season, but alas was not to be satisfied at the Paddock Inn!!...we were not even offered a sandwich or snack,.....instead we had to make do with a very nice Cornish ale, and left hungry, and rather disappointed with the sad state of hospitality which now sadly pervades the "hospitality" industry generally....why is it so difficult for proprietors to offer to make a sandwich for a hungry guest in a pub these days??...I must be "old fashioned", but I think that the simple things to make a guest happy is what hospitality is all about....as well as making a little extra profit for the proprietor.
On a positive note, the manager was very pleasant, the beer was good and they did have wi-fi too, but that doesn't fill an empty belly!

• Visited September 2013
Maerdy, United Kingdom
“Like a scene from Fawlty Towers”
Reviewed 27 August 2013

A party of six of us visited this pub 24th August 2013 for a meal . Nice looking pub , pleasant welcoming staff but when we ordered our meal it went downhill rapidly . A young lad came and took our order and repeated it back to us and we replied that the order was correct . Two meals came after waiting quite a while plus a minted lamb meal which nobody had ordered . We stated that this was not our order , the waitress was very nice about it and said she would sort it out . After a while she returned again with the minted lamb which as said beforehand nobody had ordered . All this time the other two meals had been sitting on the table because we had been told not to touch them in case they were another table,s order . By this time we were all starving and being diabetic I needed some food . Needless to say I asked the waitress to put my meal in the microwave as by now it was just lukewarm . It came back and was still not hot enough so I gave that to a friend who had ordered the same , I would then wait AGAIN for a hot one . We were not at all surprised when once again the minted lamb returned to our table . What were we to do to just get something to eat ! The order had gone in correctly so what happened to it was a mystery . Needless to say we were in there for about a hour and a half , my husband did get his meal eventually and I left without eating at all because we were still one meal short . The only consolation was that we were only charged half the price but that did not compensate for the sheer frustration we endured . That was the first pub/restaurant I have been into for a meal and left with an empty stomach . Added to that I never want to see minted lamb again !!!!!!

Visited August 2013
1 Thank Janice P
Brighton, United Kingdom
“a bit thin”
Reviewed 11 August 2013

The greeting from one of the staff as we entered was very happy and joking with us i wasn't sure if he was the manager or staff but i do know he was off duty and just leaving, however i thought this a good start. My teenage daughter doesn't eat meat and the options were a bit fancy for her so she settled for a childs meal of a cheese pizza and doubled it up to make an adults size meal.Which made it an expencive pizza meal. I had the double burger which i am glad about as the burgers were so thin that the two together nearly made one but saying that i did enjoy it. My other daughter had a curry which she did enjoy and my partner had the gammon which she also enjoyed. The food on the whole was cooked well cooked and enjoyable but portions and choices for non meat eaters better. The service was good and we didn't have to wait long but that might be because it was nearly empty so can't really comment on the speed. On the whole it was a good meal a little expensive for the portions but enjoyable. We would go back but would hope the menu had improved for teenage vegetarians

• Visited August 2013