“Lovely hotel but no atmosphere or warmth”
Review of Heywood Spa Hotel

Heywood Spa Hotel
Ranked #4 of 23 Hotels in Tenby
Reviewed 3 April 2012

My husband and I stayed here on a recent KGB deal. We had a great price for 2 nights. The receptionist was polite but there was no warm welcome when we booked in. Our room was huge with a lovely comfy bed and lots of pillows. The bathroom was also lovely and spotless.There were toiletries and a well stocked hospitality tray. Pity about the uht milk !! We also had a fridge which was handy for bottles of water. The room had french doors that opened out on to a patio area.There was wi-fi and a freeview box available.We had a lovely stay but the staff were merely doing a job and I was quite dissapointed by the lack of warmth or enthusiasm. I would hate for people to think that Welsh people are cold and unfriendly as we're not.Breakfast was very nice but had to be ordered.There was no self service at all. It would have been nice to have been able to choose fruits and juices etc without having to order them.There was no atmosphere at breakfast but the food was delicious and to a very high standard.The waiting staff were polite but once again there was no real customer care or smiles.We went in the pool,sauna and jacuzzi on the Saturday night. At one point it was just us two.The leisure part to hotel is small but we enjoyed using it after a day of walking.This hotel could be fantastic but it lacks the personal touch and you never feel like a valued guest.I would definetly return to this hotel if the price was favourable but I wouldn't pay the going rate.The owners could learn a bit about hospitality by visiting St Lawrence Country house which is about a mile away. Here you are treated like royalty and pampered throughout your stay. This could be such a different experience but all in all it was value for money and we had a lovely stay.You must visit Barafundle bay and Bosherston lily ponds if going to Tenby.

Reviewed 1 April 2012

Booked a midweek 2 night break on a KGB deal just fancying a couple of days away. Travelled with my mum and dad and my 17 month old daughter (as hubby was working). Took my own travel cot as the hotel charges an additional £10 per night for theirs (even when there's only 1 adult in the room with the child).

On arrival was upgraded to an executive room which was situated next to my mum and dad's room, which was really thoughtful. We had adjoining balconies (mine was really large with table and chairs and aspect over the lawns). There was a staircase between the room doors, but this didn't cause any issues. Room was beautifully appointed and spotlessly clean, with a good sized fridge which was great for keeping milk and toddler snacks fresh. There was only a shower (albeit large) in the bathroom, but as mum and dad had a bath we just used that for my daughter.

Other reviewers aren't wrong about the food - it's fabulous. We had the 3 course £20 meal which was really good value. I fancied the local Tenby bass, but the £10 surcharge put me off that. Even steaks only had a £4 surcharge! I had the cod instead, which was delicious, but I'm still pondering the maths. (£16 dish included in offer, £20 dish has £10 surcharge???). Little touches like having the highchair already set up at our table before we arrived made it even more enjoyable. Waiting staff were attentive but not overbearing, and took time to chat and to play a little with my daughter.

Breakfast was delicious and plentiful, and all served at the table. Smoked haddock and poached eggs were perfectly cooked.

Hotel is located a little outside the main town, which we were grateful for. It was very peaceful and secluded, but still only a 20 minute walk. We drove to the beach the 2nd day only because of the amount of stuff my 17 month old needs carted around with her! Parked all day for £3.50 right next to the beach, so no complaints there. Daughter loved running around on the front lawn and talking to the (concrete) squirrels hiding under the seats!

Staff were all very friendly and helpful - one of the chambermaids helped me down the stairs with my luggage in the morning. Hotel is tastefully decorated and nicely laid out. Would be a fabulous place for a wedding.

Will definitely be back. :-)

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank ClairyB
Reviewed 30 March 2012

This hotel already has some great reviews. I can only endorse them, and say that we couldn't fault this lovely hotel on our recent stay.
This is my favourite type of hotel anyway, and excellent management is evident in every aspect. The staff without exception were helpful and friendly, and the rooms very well appointed and extremely comfortable. The spa facilities looked lovely although we didn't use them this time.
Breakfast was excellent and dinner very good and great value if booked in advance.
I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank seelybee
Reviewed 28 March 2012

We visited the Heywood Mount on a KGB deal. The hotel is just a 15 minute walk from the town centre on a country road. The Mount is a quiet, peaceful establishment with creaky floorboards - lots of character. Tenby is a lovely town, also with lots of character.

Check in was smooth and the room, with a four poster bed, was great, with plenty of space and a large bathroom with a jacuzzi bath. Bed only had a sheet, blanket and a cover. A duvet would have been easier and more comfortable. The room had tea/coffee facilities and a "beer" fridge, which was great for chilling wine or food. There was a large LCD TV and a video/DVD player. Good WiFi coverage in the room needing a code for each device from reception. Our room, Lillian Rose, has issues with being able to hear people using the bathroom upstairs.

Breakfast was very good. No self service here - all was brought to the table. There was a good selection of hot and cold food including salmon and scrambled eggs, muffin with bacon and egg and hollandaise sauce, haddock, kippers, full English breakfast and a Welsh breakfast with laver bread and cockle pate, which had unfortunately run out by the time we had got down to the restaurant. Breakfast is from 7.30am to 9.30am, which is a bit early for what is a holiday hotel invtge main.

The spa looked inviting, but we didn't have time this visit.

The hiccup - the room wasn't serviced! The receptionist was apologetic and got us clean towels and crockery, but this really wasn't up to scratch and spoilt what would have been a glowing review of the hotel.

• Stayed: March 2012
1  Thank David_Avery
Reviewed 27 March 2012

Stayed at this hotel for a 2 night short break. As reported previously well located for Tenby town in as much we left the car there and walked the 15 minute journey to the Beach which was great. We were really lucky as the weather was glorious. We were allocated a groundfloor bedroom which was spacious and very comfortable. We had a patio area which was lovely for sitting with a drink in the evening sun. We did not use the spa facilities but they looked fine. What set this hotel apart was the food. Amazing breakfasts and evening meal in very nice if rather formal surroundings. The meals were a real treat and we felt very spoilt. The ladies who served us made us feel very special. I would highly recommend this hotel and urge anyone staying to make the most of the amazing food.

2  Thank nonwil
Reviewed 19 March 2012

Having read a few of the other reviews i am not sure if we stayed in the same hotel.
My partner and I stayed in the 4 poster room and it was absolutely wonderful. The furniture looked the part and gave the room a grand feel and the jacuzzi bath and power shower were fantastic, everything worked and plenty of hot water. We had a balcony to the front of the room and although the view of the car park wasn't the greatest it was nice to sit out in the sun or open the double doors and let the fresh air in. The pool was fine, bit short for any lane swimming but a nice pleasure pool and the jacuzzi was nice and hot afterwards. Gym wasn't particular well equipped and could do with a free weight section. The food was fantastic, 3 course meal every evening and great breakfast all using locally sourced produce and good sized portions. The staff were also incredible polite and helpful.
Tenby was also a fantastic town with plenty to do and lovely beaches. I will be staying at the Heywood again next time we visit Tenby

2  Thank Jack A
Reviewed 10 March 2012

When we turned up first impressions were a pleasant one until we entered the room, firstly the heating would'nt working and then we tried to run the bath to find no hot water, we had to wait two hours before the owners son turned up and without doubt the most arrogant man i've ever had to deal with and should never work in the hotel trade.
He went up the attic and said the flame had gone out so to wait 20 mins and have another go upon this it was still running luke warm but he said that he would be happy with this and it was us being fussy, i then asked to see the owner and was told he was in at six and would be straight up so we waited until 6.30pm and then went to resepsion to find the girl running to to find him, he then offered us the last room in the hotel and it was'nt what we wanted as we upgraded to the four poster room and that one was box standard.
That was enough for us and we cut our losses and went home and lost our money and he said we sould have been happy with the room offered.
Would never go near there again.

Room Tip: go to another hotel
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank stevencoldbusters
HeywoodMount, Owner at Heywood Spa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2012

Whilst I am extremely sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us I would like to clarify some of your points:

1. The heating in all our rooms is conditioned air and in each room next to the remote control is a set of basic instructions on the units operation. The unit will only work as pointed out to the guest when the button marked "On" is pressed first. After I had shown the operation of this unit to the guest the room heating came on.

2. The guest in question booked through a Kgb deal they were upgraded free of charge to a 4 poster bedroom. The guest never paid or requested an upgrade, it was done so by me at my sole discretion FOC.

3. The guest checked in at 3.30 pm the water fault reported at 4.48 pm and the hotels maintenance man came in at 5.40pm to fix the hot water problem in the room. The boiler had tripped off, was re set and the guest told it will take about 30 mins for the tank to reach temperature. We apologised for this and offered an executive room for them to use if they did not want to wait.

I am sorry that the hotels bolier failed it was not intentional, the problem was fixed in under 1 hr and alternatives solutions offered.