“Good quality service”
Review of Heywood Spa Hotel

Heywood Spa Hotel
Ranked #4 of 23 Hotels in Tenby
Reviewed 18 October 2013

Nice location a 15 minute walk from the town, offering spacious rooms, comfortable beds and friendly and professional service. Excellent restaurant for dinner and breakfast, the beef and the pork are a great example of well looked after local produce. Nice building complete with a reading room, swimming pool ( small, indoor) and squeaky floorboards.

Room Tip: No elevators, so if stairs are a problem you'll need ground floor.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 10 October 2013

First impression of the hotel was that it was pleasant and comfortable. Hayley on reception was exceptional in care and attention to detail and gave me an upgraded room. Special care had been taken to prevent any perfumed chemicals being used in my room and I was assured that the information on my dietary needs had been received and acted upon.The room seemed comfortable for my needs. Clean and the bed and thick curtains exceptional. As soon as I went to wash my hands I discovered that the cold tap did not work and bits were hanging off it. Hot watedr was boiling hot. I phoned reception. The phone did not connect to reception and I am good with electricals. I reported both these faults to Hayley. She had to get the man to see to these the next day and put them in 'the book'. At dinner there was only one adjusted starter that I could have and I had this for 2 nights. For dessert it was the fruit from breakfast or one flavour of sorbet. The main course was ok though. Same the next night. It was embarassing making a big fuss. I was given non dairy margerine on the first morning and things looked up until I discovered it was all congealed and 9 months out of date.The fuss paid off and on the third night I was given a suitable starter and specially made dessert. Not rocket science to prepare with 3 weeks notice is it? Other hotels take me in their stride. The discussions were very public and embarassing for me as they drew attention to my disability.. Meanwhile I came back next day to the tap still not working. I complained to reception but she knew nothing about it. The manager, Adrian, informed me in the evening that a new tap had to be sought. It finally got mended on the last day.Lots of teeth cleaning and cup washing in the bath. The phone never got mended (despite two reminders) so I reported my concerns at reception as I left. This male receptionist was abrupt and told me that he had tested my hot bath tap and found it to be working fine. No surprise to me as it was the basin cold tap that was at fault!! As for the telephone, it never got mended and so I could never contact reception or my relatives in another room. Not 4 star service. But what rankled most was the attitude to complaints. Basically 'I am sorry you feel this way but we do not agree and will not upgrade our communication skills'. It appeared to me that the most junior staff were desperate to improve service. Sophie, our waitress was very concerned to make things right food wise but seemed to be thwarted at every turn. The hotel had no still mineral water or peas while we were there. Odd things to run out of although each table had a mineral water bottle full of tap water. The lady on reception gave me one of these to replace my tap telling me that it was the same mineral water supplied on all the tables at dinner.. As they had none in the hotel it could not have been! Such a shame that such keen staff are hampered by management who do not seem to listen and do not take constructive critisism. This 'book' sounds interesting. I would also be interested to know whether the next occupant of room 208 manages to get the phone repaired. They should be consoled that it is 'in the book'! A real mixed bag but I laughed about all the fiascos and returned refreshed nevertheless. I had taken advantage of special offer prices but had I paid the full amount i would have been very annoyed indeed. This hotel has the makings of being lovely. Just sort out some systems for shopping, communication, complaints handling and repairs and all should be well.

Room Tip: Mine was an upgrade to an executive room. A relative was initially placed in a standard room and it...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank SusanBurt
Adrian A, Owner at Heywood Spa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 October 2013

I must admit myself and the entire hotel team were waiting for this guest to review and I as I thought I have to clear a few points up. I understand that we are never, as hard as we try going to please every guest. But what we aim to do is provide quality accommodation, delicious food and fabulous service for a great value price that has no seasonal variation and includes everything.

I and my team work very hard to adhere to guests requests and try and ensure their satisfaction. As requested this guests room was cleaned with no chemical cleaners and the kitchen observed their dietary requirements of; no diary, grapefruit, wheat, chocolate & citrus fruits. The lady never once booked dinner but chose to just walk in? Had a reservation been made we would have been only too happy to help. As we did at your request take all the candles out of the dining room because they too we on your list and I am sorry the sorbet made you feel unwell!

In relation to the hot water tap, again I am sorry it is hot? The cold water tap did in fact work just fine as did the phone in your room which you failed to mention you were using incorrectly as pointed out by my receptionist when you door lock broke. Sorry that was because the card was being used incorrectly by the guest so clearly another fault of the hotel!

The hotel did not have any 250ml bottles of still water but we did have 1ltr bottles which in light of your inability to master the complexities of a mixer tap we gave you free of charge, again no mention of thanks?

I am sorry but when guests can't work a tap, master a room phone, don't book dinner and have a million allergies then moan that they can't have anything I draw the line. We work very very hard to try and keep our valued guests happy.

Reviewed 8 October 2013

Good, quiet location but not walking distance from the beach. We had a corner room on the first floor with a small balcony. The room is a decent size, furniture adequate, nothing exceptional. Surprised at the minute amount of toiletries provided considering we are a family of 2 adults and 2 kids. Breakfast was adequate. The pool and jacuzzi were a nice touch which the kids enjoyed immensely.
If rates are reasonable then we will use this hotel again.

Room Tip: Enjoyed our room with balcony.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 October 2013

I would definitely recommend Heywood Mount Hotel. The staff were extremely helpful and very friendly. Our room was of a very good standard. The food was exceptionally good. Very good value. Very much enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed 26 September 2013

For the past 9/10 years, we have not looked beyond Heywood Mount and during this time have stayed there 6/7 times. (have a previous review on this hotel). Usually very satisfied, maybe with odd niggles. Things are now changing, in my opinion, for the worse. The management now believe that the premises are suitable for both hotel guests AND wedding functions.....IT IS NOT. When a wedding is held, hotel guests lose the restaurant facility, the bar is frequented by several drunken guests (some of whom get the drink from the boots of their cars and NOT the bar) and then there is the excessive noise until midnight.

I pay £109 PER NIGHT to enjoy a four star hotel. If the management insist on continuing to hold weddings and hotel bookings, then this will exclude me. In the event that they don't inform me of a wedding then I will reduce my payment by 25%.

Heywood Mount, you are losing sight of your role. Did you receive a tourist board grant? was this to hold local weddings or to promote tourism? You can't have it all ways, your premises are TOO small to continue on this path.

Thinking of staying here, do check if there is a wedding on, there are other hotels.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank roy t
Reviewed 20 September 2013

Good location, service good and lovely breakfast.
Room was average, spacious but decor lacking...
Breakfast was excellent with a nice selection of local dishes...
Service was good, great recommendation for dinner and helix advice...

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank penny8407
Reviewed 16 September 2013

Have just had a 3 night break here, and have to say what a lovely experience. From the moment we arrived, and were warmly greeted at reception to the day we left, everything was just right. On the first night we had an evening meal in the restaurant, well worth trying, the food and service were first class. The breakfast is very good, all served at your table, no buffet style breakfast here. We were treated to a four poster room, this was very comfortable, which lead to a really good nights sleep. Thank you Haywood Mount.

Room Tip: Any of the 4 poster rooms
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple