“Not The Best!!”

Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Tenby
“Not The Best!!”
Reviewed 10 September 2012

I went to the South Beach Bar & Grill last night 09/09/2012, on a wet Sunday night with my wife and 3 children to celebrate our anniversary. I live locally and telephoned to book a table for 6 o'clock but was told 6.15, not a problem, but when we arrived at 6.10 the place had 5 tables taken by diners, the rest were empty?? 3 of us ordered the rump steak burger that was supposed to come with stilton and apricot chutney on it but none of them did, we told the unmotivated waiter that they didn't but he insisted that they did!! My kids wanted some ketchup for there meals and he came back with the smallest pot possible, only enough for 1 child, so we asked for some more for the other two kids and he again brought 1 pot back, we didn't feel like asking again- waiter if you read this use some bloody common sense!! 3 kids-1 pot=not enough!! Although last night i counted 10 members of staff and 1 manager we had to put our hands up to try to get some attention i .e the bill, not good enough considering there were only 5 tables eating that night. The desserts were overpriced (although nice) and be aware that if you order a steak, everything you want with it is charged extra. I watched as an American diner was having an amusing conversation with the manager over his food/bill and thought the yanks won't put up with bad service etc like us Brits!! I live in Manorbier and have two cafes of my own (not in Tenby) and i would be appalled if my staff were like this place- didn't even bother to ask if our everything was OK when our food came out-more interested in chatting to the girls who worked there. Heard a lot about this place, mostly bad but gave it a try--they tried and failed!! Another local lost.. If in the area try the Baytree or Kook a Ba in Saunderfoot, much better and cheaper!!

Pembrokeshire
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Better than expected!”
Reviewed 9 September 2012

Four of us dined at this restaurant last night (08-09-12), and I have to admit that we went with a bit of trepidation. We live nearby and this place has a patchy reputation to say the least. Members of my family have dined here and had poor experiences, and tripadvisor reviews didn't give us much cause for hope either.
However our visit was a very positive experience. Three of us had scallops and pancetta to start and were all declared delicious, our other diner had bbq ribs and they were good as well. Main courses consisted of steaks, seafood salad and fish and again they were all good. My rare sirloin was perfectly cooked. Two of us had desserts and the generous portions were lovely and satisfying.
Service by our young waitress was good,just one portion of fries not brought with someone's main course, but otherwise it was good.
It's not particularly cheap to eat here, and the drinks are on the pricey side, but all of Tenby is much like that, and the views of the sun setting over South beach were beautiful. This is a new (ish) building that has been well designed and decorated, and it was full when we were there which gave a great atmosphere. This place is exactly what Tenby has been crying out for for years.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Poor Service + ill afterwards”
Reviewed 9 September 2012

Visited during a family holiday end of August as our big meal out for the week.
Booked in person & turned up to be told they had got the booking wrong and we had to come back the following night - not the best with 4 hungry children under 6.
Duly turned up the next night + in fairness got a free bottle of wine for our trouble + had a nice evening with really helpful waitress.
Went badly down hill that night when my wife was 'very poorly' all night - she'd had some mussels.
Went back the next day a) to warn them + b) to ask for refund on the mussels.
Proceeded to get involved in some sort of stand off/NVQ level 3 food hygiene debate with the manager who clearly didn't want to refund me.
Having dropped circa £150 in there, I didn't think this was an unreasonable request.
Eventually he refunded me and managed to slip me a dodgy ripped fiver as part of it (nice one mate).
Real shame as great location, plenty of child friendly stuff + our waitress top.
But amateur hour in terms of organisation + customer service.

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank Gareth M
Pembroke, United Kingdom
“Nice food, worth a visit”
Reviewed 9 September 2012

My Husband and I visited for our anniversary meal, the surroundings are lovely and the place was packed - probably not the ideal atmosphere for a romantic meal but good for a meal with friends or family. There were some issues with the service - drinks not brought, wrong meal for my husband so by the time his meal arrived mine was cold but I guess this could be out down to teeething problems. However, the food was lovely and reasonably priced. The menu does not have a huge choice and some things were sold out which was dissapointing but we would still return. The local food and the beautiful surroundings make it worth a visit.

• Visited August 2012
Tenby, United Kingdom
“Service!!”
Reviewed 6 September 2012

My husband and I went there with a friend for a meal and a drink for our anniversary. On arriving I asked for a table outside and was told that this was only for drinks, we had to eat inside. We thought we'd have a drink outside and transfer inside in due course. The place wasn't full by any stretch of the imagination but it still took 10 minutes before anyone came to take our drinks order. After that, it took nearly 30 minutes for our drinks to arrive!! When we mentioned this to the waiter, he told us the ticket only said 15 mins! An apology would have been welcomed rather than be told that we were wrong!! Therefore we decided that it probably would be better to eat elsewhere. When it came to leaving, we practically had to force payment on the staff as there seemed to be a real reluctance in letting us settle our bill! As this was to be an anniversary treat for ourselves, we left with our bubbles burst. It's a pity because the surroundings are absolutely idyllic, but I think there'll have to be a improvement in customer service before we'll be back!

1 Thank GillD288