“Oh Dear with a great location”

South Beach Bar & Grill
Ranked #44 of 113 Restaurants in Tenby
Cuisines: Bar, British
Good for: View, Romantic, Child-friendly, Kids, Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Drinks, Brunch, After-hours, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Pembroke Dock, United Kingdom
“Oh Dear with a great location”
Reviewed 18 September 2012

On hearing that a bar/grill had opened on a perfect location my wife and I decided to give it a go one Friday Night (07/09/12). Arrived just after 6 and asked if they were serving bar snacks and was told there was a table on patio available. Perfect sat down looked at the fantastic view and waited for service, waiter came and asked what drinks we required to schooners of Bitter Shandy ordered and the snack menu. 10 minutes later a glass of red wine and a coke turned up !!! . Waiter apologised and I asked if I could order a snack to which I was told no food served on patio after 6pm. At this we stood up and left actually feeling sorry for what we could see very poorly trained staff. The location is stunning and this could be a great place if staff trained correctly.

We will try again but not for a while....

1 Thank David L

Pembrokeshire
“Pleasantly Surprised”
Reviewed 16 September 2012

After reading the reviews here, with trepidation, I decided to try this new restaurant for myself along with a group of friends visiting Pembs.

Pembs is not good for eating out with many establishments overpriced and few offering a warm atmosphere or good food (I can cook better than quite a few). SBBG was excellent on all counts. The service was perhaps not as attentive as it could have been but the restaurant was busy and I'd prefer this to over the top pestering.

Starters were ample and tasty, mains were excellently cooked and flavoursome (especially the rare sirloin steak) and, as we skipped desserts, coffees were without fault. The only criticism on the food was the veg (included and additional sides) was not particularly fresh or well prepared but fine nonetheless and this is often a neglected item on the plate in other restaurants. The chips were good though.

It's a lovely building in an unbeatable setting and I can see this being a popular destination for visitors and locals alike. It sounds as if it needs to work on its consistency but I certainly had the best meal out in Pembs for a long time.

Pembrokeshire
“Lovely location”
Reviewed 14 September 2012

For a Wednesday night it was surprisingly busy with a great atmosphere. The food was good. It does not pretend to be a la carte so you get what you ask for. If you want traditional trimmings with your steak you will be disappointed as it comes with just a cluster of baby leaves. You can order sides but we were on a limited budget. The prices are very reasonable and the service was brilliant, no huge gaps between courses and no awful hovering by the table to ask if everything's ok every five minutes, just right. The draw is the setting. what a beautiful location right by the beach with glorious views. There was a free carpark (after 5pm) just up the slipway from the restaurant. I would definitely go there again.

Tenby
“Unbelievably bad Service!”
Reviewed 13 September 2012

On arriving we were very impressed with the layout and style of the restaurant, lovely sea views and cosy. We were seated at our table & it took 2o mins for drinks to arrive, we were left waiting a further 15 mins for someone to take our order, bearing in mind there were more staff than customers and they were all standing around chatting oblivious to our agitation, Somebody different eventually came to take our order & we waited! we only ordered 4 pizzas and it took 50 mins!! i would understand if it was busy but it was quiet, food eventually turned up burnt and no chicken on the pizza! no check back, no personal service! Just really unhappy! We paid and left, the staff are all so miserable and have no skills in the industry, its a shame as it could be a great place, I never complain but i dont want people having the same terrible experience, I'm a local and have eaten out in many places in Tenby, i have spread the word not to go here

• Visited August 2012
Taunton, United Kingdom
“Fantastic! Give it a chance...”
Reviewed 10 September 2012

I'm not sure when other people have dined here but having been in at least four times I feel like I need to stand up for South Beach. Its a welcome addition to the Tenby scene and so refreshing to have a modern restaurant to dine in. Admittedly when it first opened it had some teething problems but which restaurant doesn't? Every time I have been back it has gone from strength to strength. The staff are all extremely polite and are always hand to help with anything you need. The decor of the restaurant fits perfectly with the beach view and the food....well....I have had something different everytime and always thoroughly enjoyed it. (Note: the steaks are the best I have ever had and cooked to perfection). From the home prepared pork scratchings to nibble on through to the fresh fish and fab daily specials; this restaurant offers something that others don't in Tenby. I hope that everyone will give the Bar Grill a chance and let them work through what ever teething problems they may have had and not write it off straight away. Keep up the good work, my partner and I will be back again very soon (Table in the window please!!)

• Visited August 2012