“Absolutely the worst hotel I have ever visited”
Review of Royal Lion Hotel

and 1 more site!
Royal Lion Hotel
Ranked #23 of 23 Hotels in Tenby
London, United Kingdom
“Absolutely the worst hotel I have ever visited”
Reviewed 5 August 2010

Arrived to find that the picture on late rooms .com is not of the hotel at all but of across the bay. We were sent to room 301. Unbelievable! The dirty cord without a handle, hanging from the bathroom ceiling was supposed to turn the light on...no such luck. The lamp shade above the bed was absolutely thick with dust turning it grey, but most worryingly, the floor by the window where we were meant to sit on chairs and admire the view was sinking away as if about to collapse. All for the supposed bargain of 90pounds! When I complained, the polite receptionist apologised, explained that she never goes upstairs(!) and offered us a most peculiar room....clean with light bulbs, 2 out of 3 which worked, reached by a collapsing set of stairs at the end of the building. We left post haste the next morning with a feeling of disbelief. The staff seem very aware of the state of the building and are doing the best they can in a hopeless situation. The owners need to get real, do some major repairs and stop conning people out of their hard earned money! DO NOT BE TEMPTED TO STAY! Late rooms.com and Wales tourist board have been informed.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
wales
Reviewed 20 July 2010

The hotel is situated in a prime position overlooking the North beach and within a short walk to the centre of town.It is somewhat dated but clean.Our room was on the second floor and was spacious with fantastic views.I think that it should be updated as the bathroom did not have a fixed shower or indeed a shower curtain,instead there was a rubber shower attachment behind the door to fix onto the taps.We found it quite funny and managed well even though the bathroom floor did become slightly wet.
We had a lovely meal in Plantagenet on the Saturday night and we would recommend this to everyone.
Breakfast was served in the dining room and was hot and tasty,all in all no complaints about the food or service.Another good point of this hotel is that they have car park
which is always an advantage in Tenby.We would stay again as the quirky feel to the hotel does not put us off.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank madge48
Ludlow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 July 2010

I have just returned from a 1 night stay at the royal lion hotel in Tenby I had read reviews here and was slightly concerned but my concerns were unfounded. The royal lion was a delight in every way. It i s the little things that count the trouser presses in the room, the towel warmers next to sink, the basket chairs to watch the sun setting over the sea the chesterfied couch in the annex room to the ensuit bathroom and toilet the hot and cold water taps that worked in precision. Add to that the feeling of being transfered back to a time when service counted to a georgian era a sort of upstairs downstairs feel to the place and a warm feeling of belonging to the place that left me thinking of my mothers home when i was a child. The wonderful breakfast i had with real tomatoes was a true delight and thank god no beans tins should be banned at breakfast time.
The views from room 112 were spectacular i have never seen better and framed by the 12 sash and cord windows 2 in my room were amazing. This was middle class uk at its finest from a edwardian era that is long past so what if the curtains were slightly faded this was a chance to step back in time to a past that was once so glorius. I wondered why it was called the royal lion and after one nights stay i knew, as i looked out onto the sea and harbour at morning light sipping my coffee with my spouse i knew why, its because my stay there had been so pleasant that it made me feel royal. I felt as i left as if i had stepped back in time to a forgotten era and felt that i had cheated them for paying so little for the experience. Thank you all those that work there for making my short stay so wonderous. I would not recomend a friend to stay there id insist

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank briangriffiths
kidderminster
Reviewed 30 June 2010

we recently spent our anniversary at this hotel, after reading other reviews i was very dubious of the hotels quality. After spending 3 nights there I can honestly say that my wife and I had a most enjoyable experience. This is not a 5 star hotel, however the rooms are clean, tidy and have the most fantastic views of the north beach and harbour, well worth the money. The staff are helpful and very friendly and the food was delicious.
If you want 5 star luxury pay for a 5 star hotel, If you want good honest B&B at a reasonable price then this is the place for you

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank rogchrisgolf
ENGLAND
Reviewed 13 May 2010

We chose this hotel as it was near the centre of town and had a carpark. We paid extra for the seaview making our room £90 a night for BB. The staff were friendly and helpful with the booking at the seaview. The breakfasts were all cooked fresh for us and served by very and when we booked in. Our room 112 was very large and had an anti room giving us even more space. OK it could do with some modernising but we were lucky with the weather and did not spend a lot of time indoors. We had armchairs and enjoyed our time looking at the seaview. The breakfasts were all freshly cooked and served by very cheerful and informative waitresses. We would certainly return if only for the seaview!

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CHRISANDCAROLE
southwales
Reviewed 18 April 2010

We had one night at the Royal Lion after travelling all day around the country,we just wanted somewhere to lay our heads so to speak.We were given a family room on the third floor.Nice large room very warm(all night)the heating was on full all night.Bathroom was reasonably clean although the plughole in the bath could have been unblocked.I must say the bed was nice and comfortable and clean.Pity about the racket coming from outside till 3a.m.When we finally got some shut-eye we were woken up at 6a.m.by the road sweeper.Breakfast was good with excellent service from the lovely Michelle(thank you Michelle)this hotel would benefit a total re-vamp i.e. double glazing,new doors,etc.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with friends

Travellers are raving about these Tenby hotels

cardiff
Reviewed 23 November 2009

Although the view was fantastic, the room warm and the beds clean, the rest was dire. I don't think that the individual rooms have been updated since the 1960's. The bathroom was mouldy, shower curtain grubby, didn't like the look of the shower head so didn't use it. Stained carpet, covered by a strategically placed rug. Curtains hanging off therefore difficult to draw. Communal areas not too bad, and although the breakfast was fairly good, the waitress was glum and did not advise us of any choice - we had to guess what they could/could not supply. At £75 per room per night I expected better. Obviously paying for the hotel's location and view.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple