“Lovely weekend break! :)”

and 1 more site!
The Clarence House Hotel
Ranked #13 of 23 Hotels in Tenby
Reviewed 10 September 2013

I came down to the Clarence house hotel with friends of mine this weekend For the Iron Man competition. I stayed in a twin room which was room 307, it had a lovely garden view, as all the sea view were taken up as the hotel was full with other guests mostly competitors. It was lovely and clean. On arrival the receptionists gave us such a warm welcome and couldn't do enough for you. Breakfast service you couldn't go wrong with, food excellent (standard full English) the staff may as well have been all on roller skates they were that quick at service. We will definatly be returning too you soon.

1  Thank channy30
clarhot, Front Office Manager at The Clarence House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 November 2013

Thank you for your lovely review.

Reviewed 9 September 2013

I booked a single room (115) in this hotel for £41, so I wasn't expecting much. Although it was small and the fittings somewhat tired, it was freshly painted, clean and the towels soft and fluffy. So far, so good. But come to bedtime it was a different story. This room was the noisiest room I have ever had the mis-pleasure to stay in. The building is probably converted from a couple of houses and the rooms separated by very thin walls. I could hear telephone conversations and snoring from next door. Couple that with a constantly dripping overflow and we're not off to a good start. But the worst was yet to come. All the doors are heavy, self-closing fire doors which SLAM shut. This room has the bed headboard against the corridor wall. Even when I had my earplugs in I could hear and feel the doors slamming all around me. I kid you not, when I was lying down, the pillow would vibrate under my face when a door slammed. This was the worst night's sleep I've ever had in a hotel.

However, and it's a big however. The next morning I asked to be moved and I was put into a twin room on the 4th floor without hesitation. This room was much better, bigger and brighter, the walls still thin, but no sound of running water and much less overall noise and there wasn't any hint of charging me any more for the twin room, over the single price.

The breakfast was basic, but substantial. The hotel also allowed bikes to be stored inside the carpeted reception (it was IronMan weekend). And best of all, were the very helpful and courteous staff.

Overall it is a good, unpretentious, basic seaside hotel, not trying to be anything it's not. If it weren't for the noisy rooms, it would have got 4 stars.

Room Tip: Avoid 115. On the 4th floor you have to stand on tip-toe to see the sea.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
clarhot, Front Office Manager at The Clarence House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 September 2013

Thank you for your review. The Clarence House Hotel is not a purpose-built hotel, but 3 old mansions that were joined together and ultimately turned into a hotel. This, or course, was all done many, many years ago before we had the materials that we get now. As we are re-decorating rooms, we are now adding soundproofing boards and other soundproofing devices to alleviate this problem.

Reviewed 9 September 2013

I love this hotel. The staff was always friendly and extremely helpful. Dee, especially, went above and beyond to help us out when I left the lights on on my car and the battery died. I can't praise them enough! Treated us like family and I would definitely stay here again. Only suggestion is to try and get wifi in the rooms, but that seems to be pretty typical in these parts, so not complaining, just would have been a nice to have. The rooms were nice, clean, and comfortable and the location is amazing! The views of the beach and sea from our room were brilliant. Stay at the Clarence! They'll take excellent care of you!

Room Tip: Rooms on first floor may have wifi connectivity.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends

Thank you so much for your lovely review. Dee was amazing in helping you re-start your car - though I did love the bit where all 3 of us ladies left you to do the dirty work! Good luck for your next Ironman competition.

Reviewed 8 September 2013

I don't understand why this hotel has some bad reviews, I can only think they must be used to staying at The Ritz? Our first impression on arrival is the position of the hotel on the seafront overlooking Caldey Island with level walking along the beautifully kept seafront gardens. With a group of 24 our host Penny greeted us with a warm welcome.. All staff were very friendly and accommodating. A good number of rooms overlook the sea, mine included, giving me the chance of taking some lovely photos at sunrise from my bedroom. The food was very good, especially for the price, my favourite was the Whitebait followed by the Gammon and morning breakfasts. Entertainment on 4 of our 6 night stay was excellent. As well as the lovely sandy bays the town is very pleasant with a small hill down to the harbour - not too strenuous for us oldies!
The hotel takes dogs but we did not hear them and they definitely did not cause a problem. Our best experience of all was the Hotel Courier who came on several trips with us, fun and laughter all the way, joining us in the evening for the entertainment, one can only describe Hubert as unique and loveable - we shall all miss him.
Every lunchtime Dolphins came leaping into the bay, a wonderful sight.
There is a lack of fruit and a small piece of cheese given but one only has to ask and it is provided. On notification of a shower problem in a room Penny had this dealt with immediately along with a kind gesture of an apology. All rooms are very clean as is the hotel itself.
All 24 of our group said they would like to return to this hotel again sometime, I think that says it all - . thank you Penny and staff it was great. . .

Room Tip: You have to meet Hubert the Hotel Courier - a unique experience - one not to be missed you will feel...
1  Thank maggierennie

Thank you so much Mrs Rennie for your lovely review. Don't forget to look at your group's photos on our 'Clarence Hotel, Tenby' Facebook page. Penny

Reviewed 8 September 2013

just finished a seven day trip to Tenby with Tenara an active retirement group. As a coach driver I have seen a few hotels over the years and I must say for a 2 star hotel it beats some of the so called 3 star hotels I've stayed in. The staff here did an excellent job of looking after us. Thank you for a pleasant stay

Room Tip: remember this is a family run business and a 2 star hotel not a 3 star hotel by the sea front
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business

Thank you so much for your lovely review.

Reviewed 31 August 2013

Excellent location and service, especially the dining room staff. Though the food could be improved. ie, no fruit choice, even at breakfast. Also,a disappointing small. pre-packaged cube of cheese, when it is made locally.. Lovely to have whitebait, but they should be crisp.

Apart from that, there is a pretty back garden sitting area and the front beach panorama is spectacular. Tenby town is just a short walk under the archway, or along the path overlooking the sea. My first visit and I shall return.

Room Tip: Being solo, I had the tiniest, top room imaginable. BUT, it was spotlessly clean and used the space...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
clarhot, Front Office Manager at The Clarence House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 September 2013

Thank you for your review. Please remember that the Clarence House Hotel is a two-star, seaside resort hotel - that it is not a purpose-built hotel like a Premier Inn and therefore all of our rooms are different shapes and sizes.
All chefs like to cook food their way and unfortunately, their way is not necessarily the way others might like. The chefs do try their very best.

Reviewed 30 August 2013

Only stayed one night . The rooms are like something out of the fifties . The bathrooms are shabby and the shower was antiquated and was cobbled to the wall with bits of wood and I could see the grey main power cable . I was very nervous when using it . The breakfast was ok . I won't be going back and I suggest you check out my photos I am sure they will help you may up your mind . The hotel was full of older people and I think they keep going by offering those cheapie coach offers . I dont think most younger people will put up with level of poor accommodation.

• Stayed: August 2013

The Clarence House Hotel is a two-star, seaside resort hotel. Our main line of business in coaches with older people, whom I might say are an absolute pleasure and delight to have to stay with us.
We have thoroughly checked out the shower and of the two wires in question, one was a redundant earth wire with no electrical connection and the white wire was the double insulated shower supply cable, which was of no danger to causing any harm to anyone. Also, all shower rooms circuits in the Clarence House Hotel are supplied by residual current devices in accordance to the rules of the IEE wiring regulations BS7671. We are VERY conscious of the Health and Safety of ALL our guests.
Unfortunately, the shower itself, was not reported to our full-time maintenance department, but it is being rectifies today.