The Clarence House Hotel
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Restaurant
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Breakfast included
All reviewssea viewedwards coachesbowls tourgrade listed buildingcoach tripcoach partywet roombar pricessea frontturkey and tinselon arrivalentertainment every nightcaldey islandoverlooking the beachsmall roomthe cliffbeer garden
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 25 July 2014

Just back from great weekend at the clarence.The weekend we were there was a party weekend which catered for groups etc.There was 40 of us mature golfers and we had a great time.Penny and her staff went out there way to make sure all the groups had a lovely time.Breakfast was superb, and the 3 hour happy hour in the bar went down well too.We have already booked up for our next trip next july.Thanks to all at the clarence.

1  Thank CardiffSteve_G
clarhot, Front Office Manager at The Clarence House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2014

Reviewed 25 July 2014

I booked this hotel in April 2014 for the Long Course Weekend in Tenby in July 2014. I wanted to get in early to ensure we had the facilities we wanted and it was close to all local amenities. When we arrived at 2.30pm, our room was not ready and we had to sit in the bar with ALL of our luggage including race bikes etc. After about an hour we were told we could collect our keys. I had booked a superior suite with a balcony overlooking the sea. In reality the room was on the third floor, no balcony, yes a sea view but....only half a room. It is the smallest room I have ever stayed in and to get all of my partners equipment in there, wetsuits, bikes etc was a joke. We spoke to several other holidaymakers who all said they had all booked a superior suite and got half a room. It must be some marketing baloney so be aware!!! We had been travelling for hours so the first thing I wanted was a cuppa. However, the kettle didn't work unless you held the switch down, not only inconvenient but dangerous too. I went down to reception and asked why I hadn't got a room with a balcony and told them about the kettle. They pointed out my booking was a superior suite with sea view and balcony rooms are only allocated if available??? Bizarre. Anyway, I asked them about the kettle and they were very apologetic, getting me a new one straight away, however, brand new out the box, I had to boil it several times before I could use the water! It was also about 30 degrees and no breeze through the half a window so I asked them if they had a fan and they got me one immediately which saved me for the three days we were there. The dining room was very old fashioned, waitress service. You have to sit at your allocated table and are given a choice from the menu. However, it is very manufactured and has no personal touch. Again, the staff were very helpful throughout the hotel but I was disappointed with how old and run down it felt I will not book this hotel again, in fact we had a much nicer stay at a local B&B so will do that next time.

Room Tip: I think you need to get a picture of what you are booking, having booked a superior suite with sea view and balcony, we got half a room on the third floor with a poky corner window and no balcony!! Pin them down or you will be as disappointed as me.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sylvie M

I am very sorry that you found your stay with us disappointing. The Clarence House Hotel is a Grade 2, 2 star hotel and is not a purpose-built hotel like a Holiday Inn, where every room is exactly the same size and shape.

Reviewed 23 July 2014

we had long wanted to experience a stay in a seaside hotel. we could not have picked better. the day we arrived the weather and view out over the sea reminded us of being in Greece. Clarence House is perfectly positioned for walking access to the town or the beaches. our room and the bar and dining and garden facilities were very comfortable. its a very welcoming place and you continue to feel at home for the whole stay. The meals were excellent. nicely cooked and presented and portion sizes just right . All the staff from Reception onward were very friendly and helpful. n the hotel is very special. there is a very real Welsh presence to the Clarence. Thank you everyone at Clarence House.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
clarhot, Front Office Manager at The Clarence House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2014

Reviewed 23 July 2014

Worst hotel I have stay in the rooms are so small can't swing a cat in it .no draw space we had to live out off our suitcase bathroom no where to put your things .we were with a coach party.I went down.to complained we was shown 4 other rooms but all the same really. Terrible .in our party a few said their rooms is terrible.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends

I am very sorry that you did not enjoy your stay at the Clarence House Hotel and that you felt you had to be so harsh in judging us. The hotel is a Grade 2, 2 star hotel, as a result all of our bedrooms are different shapes and sizes. As I explained to you, it was a busy week that week and I was limited in what rooms I could offer you to move to. I know that you wanted the sea view Premier Room, but I was unable to give it you as it had already been allocated to another coach. According to your organizer, the majority of your group had a wonderful time and thoroughly enjoyed themselves that week.

Reviewed 21 July 2014 via mobile

we stayed for two nights and wish it was more! wonderful reception staff who were very helpful , lovely bar lads and entertainment was great! hewbert was a class act by himself! will defanitey be returning with our dog!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple